Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 12:43 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,271 times

Advertisements

In our office the temperature measured with regular thermometers is 72C. It would be tolerable, but the air conditioning air outlets (registers) each have a built-in fan and in some parts of the building they seem to be running full speed. We can feel a strong cold breeze. The building manager does not understand the problem.
How do we prove that the work environment is not suitable for human health?
Does a "wet bulb thermometer" or a "wind chill meter function on an Anemometer" give us comparable numbers?
How much airflow is normal for a sitting office job at room temperature? in MpH

Last edited by buenos; 04-03-2019 at 12:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 03:58 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
In our office the temperature measured with regular thermometers is 72C. It would be tolerable, but the air conditioning air outlets (registers) each have a built-in fan and in some parts of the building they seem to be running full speed. We can feel a strong cold breeze. The building manager does not understand the problem.
How do we prove that the work environment is not suitable for human health?
Does a "wet bulb thermometer" or a "wind chill meter function on an Anemometer" give us comparable numbers?
How much airflow is normal for a sitting office job at room temperature? in MpH
Are people getting sick? I had this in my office and I was having asthma/respiratory symptoms. The vent was going full blast all day every day and people would come in and say they had a sinus headache immediately. We had to have an audit from regional HQ before building management did anything about it and we still have issues 6 months later. At my last two jobs, airflow issues took forever to address. Think years. People (lots of people) got sick.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
There was a vent directly above my cubicle and the cold air caused my neck and shoulders to feel very uncomfortable.

Maintenance placed a piece of cardboard over the vent to divert the air away from me and it was a huge relief.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 AM

924 posts, read 1,678,443 times
If you are talking about a booster fan, most of those have speed settings. It might be as simple as having someone get into it and turn it down a notch. An alternative would be to redirect it by installing a different style cover over the register to send the air away from people.

Another possibility is that someone further upline has closed or covered up their register, as katie45 mentioned, because they were uncomfortable. The fans that were set to "high" to pull air past that opening to your area now receive and send along a much higher intake so you get too much. The fix for all might be to figure out if someone further in has blocked off a register or turned their own fan up or down.

Also possible, remodeling that occurred after the original duct system was designed affected the air flow.

They really should consult with a HVAC company that installs and maintains a lot of ductwork. Balancing a huge system like that would be beyond the abilities of your average A/C repair person. That is what we had to do last year for our home. However, there is no longer any mold anywhere, the electric bills have been half of what they used to be, and every corner of the house is the same temperature within a degree or two.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:12 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Are people getting sick? I had this in my office and I was having asthma/respiratory symptoms. The vent was going full blast all day every day and people would come in and say they had a sinus headache immediately. We had to have an audit from regional HQ before building management did anything about it and we still have issues 6 months later. At my last two jobs, airflow issues took forever to address. Think years. People (lots of people) got sick.
same here, several people get sick on regular basis. I was coughing (a little) blood few weeks ago and had to go to doctor for xray and prescriptions several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
There was a vent directly above my cubicle and the cold air caused my neck and shoulders to feel very uncomfortable.

Maintenance placed a piece of cardboard over the vent to divert the air away from me and it was a huge relief.
they did that here too, but now there is wind in every direction, like in a tropical storm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
If you are talking about a booster fan, most of those have speed settings. It might be as simple as having someone get into it and turn it down a notch.
They really should consult with a HVAC company that installs and maintains a lot of ductwork. Balancing a huge system like that would be beyond the abilities of your average A/C repair person.
they refuse to do that because they are afraid that they will somehow break the system. They are completely incompetent diversity/charity hires and have no clue about complex systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
That is what we had to do last year for our home. However, there is no longer any mold anywhere, the electric bills have been half of what they used to be, and every corner of the house is the same temperature within a degree or two.
Actually in my home it blows at full blast also but warm air, but the problem there is the temperature differential between the center of the house (where the thermostat is) and the farthest corner where my master bed is located, the differential can be as much as 6F.

Does anyone know which one is better for this kind of issue:
- wind chill measurement
- wet bulb measurement
Obviously our facilities people's mental capacity does not reach as far as to be aware of such measurement techniques, even though it would be their job not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness