Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 12:46 PM

264 posts, read 189,056 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here had ringworm? I found a large red spot on me 2 days ago that wasn't a bruise. I made an appointment for a dermatologist but they couldn't see me until late next week. I got to thinking and thought maybe it was a tick rash even though I've never gotten them before (I do have past lyme exposure and not everyone gets the "typical" symptoms). I am just coming off a bad cold and was achy late last week.

So I decided to go to a walk-in yesterday and the doctor there said it was ringworm. I just got a new pet that has giardia so this doesn't really surprise me. However, I have now applied 3 doses of the cream she prescribed and I think it's getting larger, and I think I am actually seeing a ring around the spot. I am wearing jeans and undies which are causing their own creases so I will check for sure later after putting sweats on.

Basically what I'm asking is how long does it take to start showing improvement and how contagious may I be until then? This spot is covered up well but I am worried others may show up.

I am getting the pet checked out in a couple of hours too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 01:15 PM

18,940 posts, read 43,348,635 times
It takes a couple of weeks to go away. I work around dogs and cats so I have had it before. Athletes foot cream like Lotrimin works as well.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Thanks - how soon before I see improvement? And am I still contagious?

The doctor prescribed a cream so I'm using that - it was expensive enough!

Old 03-30-2018, 06:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,538,361 times
You don't need any expensive cream. As southernnaturelover said you can use any cream for athletes foot.

I got ringworm on my leg one time from the YMCA. Use the cream often and it will go away in a few weeks.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:19 AM

As I said, I already have the cream so no sense in not using it.

How contagious am I?

Do I need to change clothes every time I walk in the room to care for my cat? She's in a room of her own now.

I am changing our sheets daily and washing towels and my clothes but how crazy do I need to get?

Neither cat shows obvious signs of it. We took hair samples from the suspect cat but won't know until next week.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:15 AM

18,940 posts, read 43,348,635 times
I’m not sure exactly how long it stays contagious, but I would think the cream should be killing any fungus that’s at the surface. Try not to keep it covered 24/7, it needs to “breathe” and dry out occasionally. Clean it with some alcohol and let it dry at least a couple of hours a day.

Old 03-31-2018, 08:30 AM

It's in my bikini area and it's still winter here. Sitting around the house half naked is not going to be easy.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:28 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,656,170 times
Ringworm, if that's what you actually have, is highly contagious and will remain so until it's cured. It is caused by a fungal infection and has absolutely nothing to do with giardiasis, which is caused by an intestinal parasite.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Ringworm, if that's what you actually have, is highly contagious and will remain so until it's cured. It is caused by a fungal infection and has absolutely nothing to do with giardiasis, which is caused by an intestinal parasite.
Sure, but considering I have one spot (under my underwear), can it be caught in that manner or does there have to be skin to skin contact? Or if I touched the spot and then touched someone else? I am trying to make sure I can continue to work etc. I mean, spores are not flying willy nilly around me, are they?

What I meant by it doesn't surprise me is considering the issues I've had with the cat from the rescue, her having an additional issue does not surprise me. It pisses me off yes, but does not surprise me at this point.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,656,170 times
As far as I know, spores are not flying around willy nilly. It's not an airborne infection. Yes, there does have to be contact of some sort, whether skin to skin or surface to skin, in order for the infection to be spread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness