Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 11:29 AM

274 posts, read 237,431 times

Advertisements

My husband takes it every night because it works extremely well for his restless leg syndrome. Without it, sleep would be next to impossible many nights. He's had absolutely no side effects, not even when he has to take an extra dose every now and then.

I'm sick and tired of drugs that genuinely help people becoming demonized because a few people have figured out a way to abuse them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 01:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
My husband takes it every night because it works extremely well for his restless leg syndrome. Without it, sleep would be next to impossible many nights. He's had absolutely no side effects, not even when he has to take an extra dose every now and then.

I'm sick and tired of drugs that genuinely help people becoming demonized because a few people have figured out a way to abuse them.
You could try zinc or magnesium instead for RLS. Zinc works for my husband. But if he prefers the gabapentin, that's fine too. It does cause some side effects in a lot of people though.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:18 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Shay View Post
I am too. The punishment for drug abuse needs to be very harsh because it deprives many people of having a better quality of life. They're basically ruining other people's lives for them by keeping them in pain or depriving them from good night's sleep so they can function for work the next day (not to mention putting other people's lives at risk if the person who can't get the drug they need to help sleep is impaired at work the next day--working in the health field--because they couldn't get to sleep). People need to realise the impact drug addicts have on other people (not only those whom they victimize by trying to get their drugs) but the people from whom they are taking away the drugs which can be used in their lives to good purposes.

Every six months I have to worry if for some reason I may not be prescribed my Xanax 0.25mg which I now take one-quarter of a tablet (0.0625mg!) to help me sleep when I come home after closing at work at 9pm and have to be back there are 7am (and I live over a half-hour away). Stuff like this really makes you hate these people--and for good reason!

Old 05-01-2018, 09:38 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
I started taking this stuff in treatment for alcoholism and anxiety and I didn't really notice any issues, then around a year ago my dose was up'd and I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but I have been having all sorts of other kinds of issues with my health and psyche lately.

I first started to notice some of this stuff with my golf swing - my coordination seemed to leave me last spring and it has not come back. Then at work I would feel so tired and uncoordinated/dizzy that I thought I was losing my mind.

More recently my muscles feel so weak that I am wondering could this be a side effect of this medication?

I feel like I'm dying from cancer, but I can't say for sure if it's related to this medication or not. Is it possible that it is?

Old 05-01-2018, 09:57 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

I first started to notice some of this stuff with my golf swing - my coordination seemed to leave me last spring and it has not come back. Then at work I would feel so tired and uncoordinated/dizzy that I thought I was losing my mind.
This is what happened to me. I was so dizzy that walking a straight line was hard to do. I felt like I was underwater a lot of the time. There is no way I could work at my job as a tour guide where I have to speak for an hour and a half at a time.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I started taking this stuff in treatment for alcoholism and anxiety and I didn't really notice any issues, then around a year ago my dose was up'd and I don't know if it was just a coincidence or not, but I have been having all sorts of other kinds of issues with my health and psyche lately.

More recently my muscles feel so weak that I am wondering could this be a side effect of this medication?

I feel like I'm dying from cancer, but I can't say for sure if it's related to this medication or not. Is it possible that it is?
It's best to get an appointment with your doctor or at least call and ask. Gabapentin can have all sorts of side effects and it can even affect your mood. It can even make you feel like you want to kill yourself. Different people are affected in different ways. It sounds like you probably shouldn't be on this particular dosage--do call your doctor.

This medicine may cause some people to be agitated, irritable, or display other abnormal behaviors, such as feeling sad or hopeless, getting upset easily, or feeling nervous, restless, or hostile. It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies or to become more depressed.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...s/drg-20064011

If you scroll through and get to the Side Effects, Common, it says one side effect is Loss of Strength.

Some people are made dizzy or very tired by this medicine. I take it occasionally for insomnia--first it makes me dizzy and then it knocks me out totally. Read about the side effects, and what I think is most strange about this medication is the wide range of side effects and how they vary so much from person to person.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:10 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's best to get an appointment with your doctor or at least call and ask. Gabapentin can have all sorts of side effects and it can even affect your mood. It can even make you feel like you want to kill yourself. Different people are affected in different ways. It sounds like you probably shouldn't be on this particular dosage--do call your doctor.

This medicine may cause some people to be agitated, irritable, or display other abnormal behaviors, such as feeling sad or hopeless, getting upset easily, or feeling nervous, restless, or hostile. It may also cause some people to have suicidal thoughts and tendencies or to become more depressed.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...s/drg-20064011

If you scroll through and get to the Side Effects, Common, it says one side effect is Loss of Strength.

Some people are made dizzy or very tired by this medicine. I take it occasionally for insomnia--first it makes me dizzy and then it knocks me out totally. Read about the side effects, and what I think is most strange about this medication is the wide range of side effects and how they vary so much from person to person.
I have two appointments - one tonight, and one tomorrow.

With a family medicine doctor and someone else, tonight.

Are there people out there that do fine on a lower dose (like I seem to have been) and then have adverse effects after the dose goes up in any way (significantly or just a little)?

Old 05-01-2018, 12:42 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
Why would anyone wanna take that with those possible affects no matter what it does for them!
It supposedly is for neuropathic type pain, but ever since the opioid craze doctors are prescribing it along WITH the narcotics...and many are MAKING us try it with SSRI antidepressants, too...even if we are not depressed! They insist that chronic pain dictates we are depressed and if we question their judgement on ANY of the 3 meds we are denied any pain meds. I had side effects SO BAD from Gabapentin that my legs were jumping & moving so much all night I could not sleep. What did my P/M doc do??? He kept increasing the dose til I finally had to have my son take videos of me trying to sleep and shoed them to him! These P/M doctors are just guessing and going by the latest study (ONE) and now we patients really cannot get treatment worth a crap.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Doctors and their drugs, one given, causes another issue and it continues. They have nothing else to offer since they don't wander off to real healing with foods supplements. My friend was taking gabaptenin for years for neuropathy from statins and had all the side effects...she's off the drugs and lots of relief with the antioxidant I talk about SO MUCH here. It's a vicious cycle of harm in so many ways. Makes me scream at it all.

Old 05-01-2018, 12:57 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I am too. The punishment for drug abuse needs to be very harsh because it deprives many people of having a better quality of life. They're basically ruining other people's lives for them by keeping them in pain or depriving them from good night's sleep so they can function for work the next day (not to mention putting other people's lives at risk if the person who can't get the drug they need to help sleep is impaired at work the next day--working in the health field--because they couldn't get to sleep). People need to realise the impact drug addicts have on other people (not only those whom they victimize by trying to get their drugs) but the people from whom they are taking away the drugs which can be used in their lives to good purposes.

Every six months I have to worry if for some reason I may not be prescribed my Xanax 0.25mg which I now take one-quarter of a tablet (0.0625mg!) to help me sleep when I come home after closing at work at 9pm and have to be back there are 7am (and I live over a half-hour away). Stuff like this really makes you hate these people--and for good reason!
YES! It certainly does make me angry & resentlful of the addicts and recreational users. Now I have ZERO for pain and am taking high doses of Extra Strength Tylenol to function daily. WHO will pay for my liver transplant when I need one AND at 65 will I even be allowed to be on the UNOS registry?? I was on the same doseage patch & pills x 10 yrs and never had a dirty UDS....just a paranoid Pain MD who abruptly stopped ALL MEDS and said Adios! last June. I still cannot get my records from him! You betcha Im angry at this fake crisis! And the illicit heroin, fentanyl, narcotic pills still flow in like the River Jordan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness