Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 06:00 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
This has been my experience as well. Until I changed my diet last year I suffered heartburn daily. I was taking Prilosec daily in the morning and then popping Tums like candy over the remainder of the day. I do have a hiatal hernia and my doctor put me on the Prilosec for that as the hernia is not severe enough to justify corrective surgery. I still take that pill each day but after cutting way down on processed sugars and starches I no longer feel the need to ingest the Tums. In fact I don't even keep Tums in the house anymore.

The majority of the foods I eat now are spicy and acidic. I suspect my old starchy diet prompted my digestive system to generate more acid to digest the starches.
What do you mean by starches? Potatoes, breads, pastas etc? I have cut them out almost completely, now and then I cook a sweet potato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 06:25 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What do you mean by starches? Potatoes, breads, pastas etc? I have cut them out almost completely, now and then I cook a sweet potato.
I have eliminated corn, soy, rice, cereal, granola, crackers and pasta as much as possible. Bread, potatoes and deserts are consumed at a reduced frequency and amount.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:02 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,692,022 times
Yeah you need to watch which foods set you off.
In our house it's hot dogs.

Old 04-08-2018, 08:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Yeah you need to watch which foods set you off.
In our house it's hot dogs.
Unless you buy organic hot dogs I would guess it's the nitrates. I don't eat them but I like them when I ate them yrs ago...I buy organic sausages for breakfasts.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:38 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,511,316 times
I agree about diet. You say you get heartburn "a lot," but is that every day, after every meal? I have also managed to narrow down what I eat as the source and counter it with a Gaviscon tablet before, during, or after dinner. I never eat more than one "bad" food in a day - the foods don't matter, they vary from person to person, but if you can find your trigger foods you can solve a lot of problems. Also staying upright after you eat and not overeating in one sitting help me. I used to have GERD so bad that acid would shoot up and burn the roof of my mouth and I also took Nexium, but after a few months I decided never again.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
I suffered from heart burn for much of my life and was a constant consumer of Tums and or Rolaids,then a doctor prescribed a product called pantoprazole in pill form, its now been 5 years since i've suffered from heartburn or needed a tums or rolaid to quell the burn =
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-1...e-oral/details

Old 04-09-2018, 06:32 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Google is not a doctor. Neither are we.

Please go see a professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Google is not a doctor. Neither are we.

Please go see a professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
Good advice! There are even surgical remedies for acid reflux: https://www.healthline.com/health/gerd/surgery. As per that link: "Surgery for GERD is usually a last resort." So people that have suffered for a very long time should see their doctors.

My sister recently had this operation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTUNwaZtILY. She has had pretty good results but it is a serious operation and not for everybody.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:35 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
There are probably many factors, including diet. But the only one I have noticed is related to muscles, and the spine. If there is a muscle spasm, or things are someone off balance, the stomach valve can get stuck open. Then acid gets into the esophagus and causes terrible pain.

The problem is NOT usually too much stomach acid. The stomach should have a lot of acid, so taking those pills can damage the digestion process.

I get heartburn once in a while, and I just do some kind of yoga and that gets rid of it.

It also helps to belch A LOT, and really loud. It probably scares the neighbors, but it does get rid of the extra gas that might be holding the valve open.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:14 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Hello,

I get heartburn alot.

Do you know how to limit the heartburn naturally rather then taking Nexium pillst? I frequently take Nexium.

Is there a special type of water I can drink to reduce heartburn?

Thank you,
What is your diet like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness