Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 05:32 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Have you checked to see if she would get any money at all after they deem your income?

I found a link with various examples of what is left after deeming the spouse's salary, here is one

Spouse’s salary $30,000 per year, no children
Say your wife makes $2,500 per month at her job and has no other income, and you have no other income and no children. You have been approved for SSI. About $1,208 per month of your wife’s income will be deemed to you ([$2,500-$85]/2). Subtracting that amount from the couple’s SSI rate of $1,125 leaves you with nothing. You would not be eligible for SSI because of your wife’s income.

https://www.disabilitysecrets.com/co...al-income.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 05:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
99% of the time, these claims are rejected on first go around. Stick with it or hire a good SSI attorney.

Old 04-21-2018, 05:46 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I agree, I think the only condition that might make her eligible would be the brain damage with memory loss. The rest of her conditions are not enough to qualify as most of them are resolved or being controlled with medication. I also think she would need a doctor to determine that she can not hold a job due to this.
One of the (many) misconceptions of the disability process is that any doctor saying an individual is "totally disabled" is good enough for an approval.
That is not the case without significant medical evidence. A condition must meet very strict criteria to be considered disabling on its own.
That is why (especially given her young age) she needs to file her claim citing EVERY single condition she suffers with.

DDS (Disability Determination Service) does have provision for a combination of conditions coupled with limited education and job experience for people her age.

The fall back is a hearing with an ALJ which I encourage the OP and his wife to pursuit.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Disability payments are purposefully difficult to qualify for, as they should be. That doesn’t mean however that an eligible person should have to wait years and years to begin receiving benefits.

All of us could tell stories of people who are receiving a check that shouldn’t be, and it’s likely that those individuals went through the approval process several times as well. That’s just how the system is set up, broken as it may be.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:04 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
You are mistaken - SSI if for those w/little to no work credits - SSDI is for those w/enough work credits. You are most likely receiving SSI @ 29.
Whoops! I put SSI in the search parameters and didn't listen hard enough. I did start receiving SSDI at 29, I am now in my 50s, we have never met the financial threshold for SSI.

The rest of my advice stands - fill out the application in as much detail as possible, make certain that the medical records and reports have been sent. That is all you can do - either she qualifies or she doesn't.

I am sorry that you are having to pick up the slack, my husband has had to do that since 1995 and I swear his back is breaking.

I know how hard it is for you to watch your child and have your heart break. I wish the best for you and your family.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,251,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
none of the conditions your wife is suffering with meet the criteria for ss disability, jaw and renal failure are resolved, seizure d/o controlled with meds, spine and knees are fixable.
Fibromyalgia is difficult because there is no medical cause and no listing for it in the ss disability guide (ssd and ssi have exactly the same criteria). It is usually diagnosed by default.

in your wifes' case, her age is probably a large factor in her denials. What is her education level and her work history?

Have you had her evaluated by a psychologist for the "slight" brain damage and any psychological conditions her disorders have caused (depression, anxiety etc)?

Her best chance at becoming eligible is her whole menu of disorders but they will take into consideration her education level and her work history. The fewer years of education and lower level jobs will assist her.

Lastly, if her claim is denied again appeal until she is granted a hearing in front of an alj (administrative law judge). This judge is not bound by the official ss disability criteria. He/she has the opportunity to see your wife in person (putting a face on a case) and will make a binding decision on all of her conditions.

This process will be long and tedious but it could be her best chance.
Good luck!!!
+1.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Could you move to another state? Utah has a 69.2% approval rate; New Mexico 73.5%. And they are both way less expensive to live in.

https://www.disability-benefits-help...approval-rates

Old 04-22-2018, 05:06 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Unfortunately too many on SSI disability shouldn't be on it. I am talking about people that are overweight, alcoholics and other issues that can be dealt with and back to work they should go.

The fraud cases have made things real difficult for those that really need SSI.
Really....
Please show numbers, articles, Rush Limbaugh is not a good source.
As stated, it is very hard to get a disability check every month, why should druggies get them so easy????

Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Really....
Please show numbers, articles, Rush Limbaugh is not a good source.
As stated, it is very hard to get a disability check every month, why should druggies get them so easy????
Where did I say druggies get SSI?

Old 04-22-2018, 06:22 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Since your wife is 32 she has to have at least 20 work credits from the last 15 years; without those credits, she cannot get SSI.

All you can do is follow the procedures, make certain that the application is filled out in as much detail as possible and that all of her medical records and Dr.'s reports have been sent.

I was 29 when I first received SSDI and was approved the first time I applied. It all depends upon whether your wife meets the parameters.
Not quite. SSI is not the same as SSDI. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is not the same as Social Security Disability Income (SSDI). SSDI is for people who have accumulated the work credits that you speak of, and SSI is for people who have never worked or not worked enough to get the credits they need for SSDI. I think it's harder to get SSI than SSDI, probably due to the fact that the person has not paid taxes into the system, but I could be wrong about that. And SSI benefit amounts are definitely smaller than SSDI, since the person hasn't earned their own money (or not much).

I also got SSDI the first time I applied eight years ago, when I was 33. Thus, I had a long work history and the sufficient number of work credits. But Melanie and I are the exception, not the rule. People who get approved the first time have a very strong medical case for disability. I hired a lawyer when I decided to apply. They gathered the paperwork for me, filled out the forms, and I was approved in about two months. Many people, trying to save money on legal fees, don't hire a lawyer. This is a mistake. Legal assistance can make or break your approval, and they work on contingency, so you don't have to pay them up front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness