Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:56 PM

542 posts, read 1,684,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I had a complete thyroidectomy done about 3-4 yrs ago at the Veterans Hospital in San Diego. Ultrasound found 3 nodules on one side and 2 on the other. Laying there waiting for the procedure, my face covered by a sheet, all I could feel was someones finger pushing down on my neck. NEVER felt the NEEDLE. Anyway, the results came back and you guessed it. Surgery was scheduled and they did a beautiful job.(ended up with 6 nodules). Later was given radioactive iodein and placed into a lead shielded room for 2 days. Had the comforts of TV, Phone,good food,newspaper. The room was sealed with a grey plastic sheeting, toilet, sink,shower,walls all covered with plastic. Made me feel like I was on the moon or similiar place. They monitered me via closed circuit tv and called me on the phone for my vitals. Bottom line, no scar and I'm still good looking. Stefhen
That is primarily what I am reading and am not scared about what could be as it sounds a million times easier than what my brother went through about five years ago with testicular cancer. I just want to know NOW lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:02 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
They must give you a much stronger dose if you have nodules!

Mine was outpatient, and I think I was told not to hold a baby for a couple of days.. a week.. I don't remember, I don't have kids so it didn't matter. Other than that, after the first day I didn't feel anything at all from it, or have to do anything weird.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:42 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
What are the symptoms of this condition?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Let me see now, I had the thyroidectomy and am still going strong. Testicular cancer is at the other end of the spectrum. Close by in the neighborhood is the prostate problems but so far no CANCER. Do have a few yrs left so maybe I'll luck out time wise. Stefhen

Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
What are the symptoms of this condition?
I don't have any symptoms, my doctor felt the nodule during a routine checkup feeling my neck and sent me for an ultrasound where they saw two nodules. Now I have to go to the endocrinologist to see what's next, but from what I've read that will be a fine needle aspiration biopsy.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:56 PM

Vukinjo: Relax,there is nothing major to worry about. Scroll down to my early posts and you will understand more of whats what. A pretty young Dr (about 25 yrs old) with a senior Dr did my needle biopsy. Never felt anything. Based on the results, (if carcinoma) they can do a partial removal of the thyroid as it was explained to me on my condition. If all you have is 2 and benign then you probably will only get the iodeine treatment or other medication to reduce or maybe disolve them. No sweat, take it easy.Good luck. Steve

Old 04-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Well, I had my appointment today with the endocrinologist. He order bloodwork but was not overly concerned about the nodules. He wants to wait and see if they grow, so I go back in six months. Since the largest is only 9mm, I am okay with this. Do you think he should have just ordered the biopsy? The ultrasound from last month said "hypoechoic complex nodules".

Old 04-14-2008, 02:13 PM

The 6 months is what the VA Hospital did with my case and a followup ultrsound at that time. If there is a increase in size ( I think you meant 9cm not 9mm which is about 3/8 of an inch) then ask for a Biopsy that will ease your mind and anxiety. Like I said in a prior post, the procedure is Painless and maybe you will have a YOUNG MALE DR do the test if your lucky. Based upon the Biopsy results a decision between you and your ENDO will have to be made. Again Good Luck. Steve

Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 PM

No, it is 9mm. From what I've read, the "cutoff" is between 1 adn 1.5 cm they feel the biopsy should be done. The smaller one is only 5mm. The endo couldn't feel them. I'm not sure how my GP felt them or maybe just thought it was enlarged and ordered my initial ultrasound. It seems to me some endo's are more aggressive and go straight to the biopsy and some take a more relaxed approach. Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Vukinjo; You were right about the 9mm number. Had my 9 mon./6 mon/and todays 3 mon check up to verify my ultrasound and bloodwork. Was given a CLEAN Cancer FREE verdict. Surgeon wants me to return in 1 yr as a routine chk. I was also checked by a young pretty chinese medical student in her final yr before getting her MD license. She verified your statement to me was correct. My math is lousy. I understand now that the followup visits are neccessary along with the ultrasound/bloodwork to see if there is any change. She showed me the info on their computer of my readings etc. The DR's are tightmouthed and do not tell you everything. Anyway the ultrasound/biopsy results will sure tell you which way to go. Again, take care and GOOD LUCK. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness