U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:36 PM

542 posts, read 1,613,891 times

Advertisements

Hi, I had an ultrasound on my thyroid about a week and a half ago and the doctors office called today with the results that I had two nodules and needed to make an appointment with an endocrinologist. I am assuming I will need a biopsy. Has anyone else been through this before? I'm not too keen on having needles stuck in my neck that's for sure. But everything I've read indicates that about 95% of nodules are benign. I have never really thought mcuh about it before but I get sore throats and swollen glands periodically with no other symptoms and don't really know if they are related or not. I'm not positive yet how big the nodules are but when I looked at the ultrasound pictures one looked good sized. I am just hoping it doesn't require surgery and lifetime meds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:54 AM

13,169 posts, read 714,703 times
We know a young gal going through this right now. Her initial biopsy came back negative, and doctors planned to just watch the nodule. The nodule was growing faster than the doctors thought it should be, and needed to remove it. It was not benign, so they removed the entire thyroid. She was to have radiation treatments about 3 weeks later but fluid started collecting and the incision opened up. They put in a drain tube and sent her home to wait for the incision to heal. Now, it's opened up again. They don't know why that is happening but radiation has been put off for another 3 weeks.

I'm recounting this not to worry you or scare you. Just to show anyone who might be reading that there can be far more to what seems like a simple condition if we try to second guess the doctors, or minimize in our own minds a condition that doesn't appear to be troublesome or serious to us at the time. What happened to our friend is not common, so don't let it worry you. I hope that everything turns out OK for you, but you need to know.

I definitely do urge you to see an endocrinologist, and I wouldn't delay doing so.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:58 AM

212 posts, read 909,499 times
I was having trouble swallowing a few years ago, so my dr ordered tests and nodules on my thyroid were discovered. I have had yearly biopsies on them by a very talented dr at Mass. General Hospital. I was terrified before the first one, but he is the best. He reassures me as he is doing the procedure, which takes about 15-20 minutes.

Try to be very calm. The needles are not pleasant, but overall, it's not too bad. Local anesthetic is generally given before the biopsy. He gives me an ice pack to hold on my neck for the ride home to reduce swelling and bruising. You don't want to talk for a while afterwards, so just go home and have a rest. You'll be fine. Hopefully, you'll hear good results.

Chances are that you'll be fine. Don't be nervous.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We know a young gal going through this right now. Her initial biopsy came back negative, and doctors planned to just watch the nodule. The nodule was growing faster than the doctors thought it should be, and needed to remove it. It was not benign, so they removed the entire thyroid. She was to have radiation treatments about 3 weeks later but fluid started collecting and the incision opened up. They put in a drain tube and sent her home to wait for the incision to heal. Now, it's opened up again. They don't know why that is happening but radiation has been put off for another 3 weeks.

I'm recounting this not to worry you or scare you. Just to show anyone who might be reading that there can be far more to what seems like a simple condition if we try to second guess the doctors, or minimize in our own minds a condition that doesn't appear to be troublesome or serious to us at the time. What happened to our friend is not common, so don't let it worry you. I hope that everything turns out OK for you, but you need to know.

I definitely do urge you to see an endocrinologist, and I wouldn't delay doing so.
I was finally able to schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist for April 14th. I wish it was sooner because I just want to get it over with. Waiting is the worst. I do not like needles and I get very anxious before procedures like this where I feel completely helpless and out of control.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

I hope her incision heals up this time so she can get the radiation treatment. I've read a lot about getting radioactive iodine as a treatment, is this what she will be receiving? I think I am the most nervous about needing surgery and all of the things that can go wrong during surgery and during recovery.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM

12,022 posts, read 19,697,266 times
I had the RAI for Graves' Disease (not nodules) if you have any questions later.

Good luck at your endocrinologist! If s/he doesn't treat you like a human, definitely switch doctors! I had to do that to lose my GP recommended endocrinologist who looked at a computer screen instead of me at every appointment.. and didn't listen when I told him I felt like crap for 3 months afterwards. (That was not because of RAI, that was because he had me on a ridiculously low dose of thyroid replacement hormone.)

I've no faith in anybody my general practitioner wants to recommend anymore. I wonder if they just go to "doctors only" cocktail parties and pass around business cards with wads of cash attached?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I had the RAI for Graves' Disease (not nodules) if you have any questions later.

Good luck at your endocrinologist! If s/he doesn't treat you like a human, definitely switch doctors! I had to do that to lose my GP recommended endocrinologist who looked at a computer screen instead of me at every appointment.. and didn't listen when I told him I felt like crap for 3 months afterwards. (That was not because of RAI, that was because he had me on a ridiculously low dose of thyroid replacement hormone.)

I've no faith in anybody my general practitioner wants to recommend anymore. I wonder if they just go to "doctors only" cocktail parties and pass around business cards with wads of cash attached?
I called four different endo's in my plan before I found one who was taking new patients and could see me reasonably soon. I am hoping I chose a good one! I really like my Primary Care Physician and his staff, they were really great on my initial visit.

Its funny though, the last doctor I had in Columbus OH before I moved here checked my neck every visit and while he had bloodwork done, he never suggested an ultrasound. Makes me wonder if he couldn't feel the nodules or if they've grown in the last year. I am trying not to overthink everything but its hard until you know what's going on.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:55 PM

12,022 posts, read 19,697,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
I am trying not to overthink everything but its hard until you know what's going on.
I know, that is really the hard part! I hope your appointment is soon, but in the meantime try to keep your mind occupied elsewhere.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:14 PM

920 posts, read 2,683,122 times
Good luck. Waiting for answers can be so agonizing.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM

6,906 posts, read 20,510,788 times
I had a complete thyroidectomy done about 3-4 yrs ago at the Veterans Hospital in San Diego. Ultrasound found 3 nodules on one side and 2 on the other. Laying there waiting for the procedure, my face covered by a sheet, all I could feel was someones finger pushing down on my neck. NEVER felt the NEEDLE. Anyway, the results came back and you guessed it. Surgery was scheduled and they did a beautiful job.(ended up with 6 nodules). Later was given radioactive iodein and placed into a lead shielded room for 2 days. Had the comforts of TV, Phone,good food,newspaper. The room was sealed with a grey plastic sheeting, toilet, sink,shower,walls all covered with plastic. Made me feel like I was on the moon or similiar place. They monitered me via closed circuit tv and called me on the phone for my vitals. Bottom line, no scar and I'm still good looking. Stefhen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness