Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 08:36 AM

9,807 posts, read 7,642,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Another thought about "tolerance". It could also be that some people just dismiss minor annoyances, possibly subconsciously as well as consciously, don't harp and moan about them, accept them as ordinary parts of life until they are seriously and truly ill. Others just won't accept anything but symptom-free bliss and spend a lot of effort trying to solve every twinge. Everyone around them hears about it or is reminded about it....they earn a reputation for being more prone to illness, sicker, weaker. As they say, perception is reality. Have a relative like this. No matter what the current ailment is, it's inevitably some abnormal manifestation, more serious, with complications that need intervention instead of patience and time. When she does go for help no one seems able to solve the problem to her satisfaction. Is is a state of mind or of body?
Along this line of thinking, if anyone in our family starts to feel a minor symptom, sometimes just fatigue, we all say "don't get sick!" And we mean it. Many years we didn't have health insurance so there was a financial incentive to heal ourselves and get rid of those symptoms. I really think this strong attitude has a lot to do with us not getting full blown sick, maybe just having a down day. We might nap, change what we're eating, take a homeopathic remedy or essential oils. Call it a placebo effect or positive thinking, it works for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Along this line of thinking, if anyone in our family starts to feel a minor symptom, sometimes just fatigue, we all say "don't get sick!" And we mean it. Many years we didn't have health insurance so there was a financial incentive to heal ourselves and get rid of those symptoms. I really think this strong attitude has a lot to do with us not getting full blown sick, maybe just having a down day. We might nap, change what we're eating, take a homeopathic remedy or essential oils. Call it a placebo effect or positive thinking, it works for us.
Don't get sick sounds like a positive mantra. I have a mantra I now use every morning in my 15 minute meditation before I get started for the day. Meditation is powerful. Plus I know supplements keep me healthy and I started them in my early 50's..so going on 30 yrs.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-25-2018 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-25-2018, 11:32 AM

9,807 posts, read 7,642,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Don't get sick sounds like a positive mantra. I have a mantra I now use every morning in my 15 minute meditation before I get started for the day. Meditation is powerful.
And you have to believe it. We really do. Plus we're self employed so we don't get sick days. Say it out loud.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:48 PM

807 posts, read 1,029,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Before I make comments, just curious how old is your wife now? Has she had children?
My wife is 59, no kids. And she does not really live a healthy lifestyle. She's been smoking since she was 14, has a couple drinks every night, does not exercise, and does not watch her diet.

I am the exact opposite, and I catch a bug on average once per year, but I do work with kids so I am more prone to that I imagine.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
My wife is 59, no kids. And she does not really live a healthy lifestyle. She's been smoking since she was 14, has a couple drinks every night, does not exercise, and does not watch her diet.

I am the exact opposite, and I catch a bug on average once per year, but I do work with kids so I am more prone to that I imagine.
Sounds like an exception. MY dad ate everything, drank like a fish, did NOT smoke, exercise??? walking to the bars....and he lived to 95+...he was hardly ever sick in his life and I don't remember him missing work in the 40 some yrs he worked...he started to fall apart in his 80's...so much is in the gene pool. I mentioned a lady I know who is 87 and chain smokes and drinks coffee all day, bony and she walks a LOT, and don't ever see her sick. She just fell and broke a hip.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:39 PM

As they say in the principles that I've been in since the 80's...it's said all is in it's divine order/plan. Even on the chatter and negativity on the boards...all in the plan.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-25-2018 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 06:48 AM

15,209 posts, read 10,238,419 times
I rarely get sick anymore. I read somewhere that as we age and are exposed to more viruses, etc. we get a stronger immune system so we don't get those particular illnesses again. Most of us "mature" people probably don't get as many colds as we used to. I used to get 2 or 3 a year, now I rarely catch a cold and if I do it's a minor one.

Of course I am the only one in my family who has had two different kinds of cancer. Who knows if it is genetic. My grandparents on my mother's side both died very young, before they were 40, one of heart disease caused by having scarlet fever as a child and the other in a work accident. I have diabetes on both sides and I am pre-diabetic despite being a normal weight and rarely eating sweets or carbs. I had a great uncle who chain smoked non-filtered cigarettes who lived to his 80's. It's definitely a genetic crap shoot.

My granddaughter is rarely sick except the first month or so when school starts up again in August. However she has asthma so I think she is more susceptible to illness.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,801,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Everyone around them hears about it or is reminded about it....they earn a reputation for being more prone to illness, sicker, weaker. As they say, perception is reality. Have a relative like this. No matter what the current ailment is, it's inevitably some abnormal manifestation, more serious, with complications that need intervention instead of patience and time. When she does go for help no one seems able to solve the problem to her satisfaction. Is is a state of mind or of body?
The best I can say is it might be neither and instead a type of brain wiring. I could be wrong but I know with myself I'm an HSP so I feel pretty much everything. It's a blessing and a curse. I actually think it makes us stronger in one way because we're dealing with so much intensity.
The bad thing is it takes a long time to figure out when something is really serious but when you do you're a step ahead. I was able to take care of something a few times before it got serious thanks to my sensitivities.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:07 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,490,853 times
THe more carbs I eat, the more likely I am going to catch some nasty bug. And yes, I carry around a bottle of straight 50% alcohol, use it straight to sanitize my hands whenever I go into a place that may carry nasties. The last time I got really sick, some person was hacking and spewing right next to me......I moved away some, but obviously not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness