Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 02:39 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times

Advertisements

My housed never purchases the farmed salmon. It's worth to me to spend a few bucks more for the taste of the real, wild caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 02:54 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I would think WILD caught fish is safest...but who knows FOR SURE about anything? That's what I buy when I buy some. Trader Joe's sells frozen wild caught types of fish, not as good as fresh but works in a pinch for some fish. It's said Tuna is highest in mercury so I don't eat much but buy some better whole foods canned tuna now and then for tuna salad. Our oceans are so polluted so which fish are really safe, it's a gamble. There is so much plastics in our oceans that plastics are turning up in fish.
Wild salmon are being affected by the farmed. It is mentioned in the article.

Quote:
Since the salmon pens are placed along wild salmon runs, they pose a severe threat to wild salmon that pass by, exposing wild fish to diseases such as piscine reovirus, which now threatens wild salmon with extinction
This is probably more of a problem in the lower 48, Alaska not so much?

We are poisoning our oceans with plastic and who knows what else. Something needs to be done about it but it is largely ignored. Hopefully that will begin to change soon.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Thanks! what about cod? flounder? mahi mahi? are those good for you? or worth adding to one's diet?
They are good but try to get wild caught.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM

635 posts, read 783,604 times
I wonder about fish from the Pacific. I once saw salmon for sale and it came from china.Fresh? I like fish,I just wonder if it is contaminated.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM

19,194 posts, read 16,675,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Thanks! what about cod? flounder? mahi mahi? are those good for you? or worth adding to one's diet?
They won't hurt but the more red the fish is, the more omega fats in it, which is good for the heart.

Here's a list of just about every fish and shellfish known and their rankings for nutritional value. One list is for the least healthy and the second list has the most healthy.

https://www.eatthis.com/fish/

Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I only buy fish that's freshly caught. Meaning that if I lived far inland, I wouldn't be eating fish at all. If you live near the coast, you can get fresh fish. I would never eat farmed fish and seldom eat canned tuna either; the tuna contains mercury.

And it's a shame because fish is such a healthy food. Living near the coast, I eat fresh cod or haddock--can't really tell what it is but it's right off the boat.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:53 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
I wont buy farmed fish. I live near the coast so salmon is local. And I wont touch Tilapia. Yuck.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times
My 10 year old grandson, at the time, asked his aunt if the salmon she was preparing especially for him was "wild caught"?. She said, "you've been talking to your grandma, haven't you.....?". Hahahahaha. Good kid, he listens well.

I don't eat farmed salmon or tilapia, if I know it. I love Publix grocery, deli friend catfish but I asked them one day if it was farmed. Yep. So now, I only indulge very occasionally.

I do buy frozen wild caught fish and it works for the occasional fish meal. I love tuna sandwiches and salads but I guess that won't happen as much either.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 AM

2,271 posts, read 1,666,238 times
I used to order salmon in restaurants all the time but now I ask - and it is usually farm raised. No more of that now for me. I only eat the wild caught salmon from Trader Joe's. Seldom eat tuna due to mercury.

Our oceans are being destroyed, including a huge plastic floating dump (bigger than Texas) in the Pacific. Just sickening.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:53 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
I wonder about fish from the Pacific. I once saw salmon for sale and it came from china.Fresh? I like fish,I just wonder if it is contaminated.
I can't imagine anything from China not being contaminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness