Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 11:12 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't eat any more farmed salmon (for quite a while) and this just confirms my suspicions.

Full Story Here
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-farmed-salmon

Farmed Atlantic salmon is often substituted for wild salmon at restaurants and grocery stores. Probably because they know that people wouldn't eat it if they knew where it really came from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClDg...upFl&index=341
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 11:30 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I can't imagine anything from China not being contaminated.
Yes, I even bought some little silk coin purses that smelled so bad of mildew that I threw them out!

Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I can't imagine anything from China not being contaminated.
That puts so much in our lives. I buy some nice cotton slacks, really love them, and of course they are made in china...of course, I wash them good before I wear them. I buy salmon that tells me it's Wild Caught...gotta believe someone. Don't order it out.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,361,298 times
Some excellent documentaries about the horrors of "farmed" fish and other sea creatures and how TOXIC it can be to your health!

Farmed Norwegian Salmon World’s Most Toxic Food
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nP1xqEvOw

Unsafe shrimp and the question of seafood farming | TechKnow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBjq...upFl&index=334

Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 708,421 times
Its not that straightforward. Recent studies have shown higher levels of micro-plastics in wild vs farmed. In 2016 Norway (journal called Environmental Research), researchers found the wild salmon caught off the Norwegian coast had higher PCB levels than those farmed in the Norwegian fjords....

We've really screwed up the seas. Some countries with very good local pollution controls and practices actually have better coastal sea water than the average seawater way off their coast. Got a fish that lived in the pacific garbage patch (miles from any fish farms or humans) or a fish from a farmed spot in Iceland? You might be surprised which one has more contamination.

Your gut instinct may be wrong here - Pick your poison(s).

Old 04-29-2018, 04:57 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times
This is why we use a local fish CSA from the coast. They drive the fish inland a couple hours to bring it to us but you get what you get...sometimes it’s flounder or shrimp,, sometimes it’s sheepshead, tilefish or cobia. I no longer buy fish at the grocery store because you just don’t know what you’re getting. It’s also cheaper to do the csa than buy wild caught anyways - $25/wk for 2-3lbs of fish.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I don't eat any more farmed salmon (for quite a while) and this just confirms my suspicions.

Full Story Here
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...-farmed-salmon
thanks for the warning, but I will continue to eat farm salmon if wild is too expensive. So far I am still alive and kicking after 81 years.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
Thanks! what about cod? flounder? mahi mahi? are those good for you? or worth adding to one's diet?
almost any fish is healthy. And almost anything you eat has something that may not be all that healthy. We can't go through life worrying about every single thing we do or everything we put in our mouths. Those of us who are older remember when exp dates did not exist; we had no idea where our food came from, we didn't know the word "organic" and we did just fine. The same with eating food from China. I do have to admit I am a bit leary and try to stay away from anything produced in China, but I also know most Asian foods, whether purchased from our local grocery store or eaten in an Asian restaurant comes from China. I guess those who do not buy anything from China never eat in Chinese restaurants.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:22 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks for the warning, but I will continue to eat farm salmon if wild is too expensive. So far I am still alive and kicking after 81 years.
It's only recently (maybe 10-15 yrs) that our fish supplies have gotten really bad. I'm only 55, so I'll hold off on the farmed salmon, tilapia and other "seafood" that can be considered toxic. In this case it's what we don't see (or know about) that can hurt us. As for wild salmon being too expensive, You gotta ask yourself, how much is my health worth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness