Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM

1 posts, read 926 times

Advertisements

My aunt is 84 and just spent time in the hospital,3 days. She presented with nausea and just not feeling right. They performed CT scans and many blood tests. On discharge they told her it was her own virus and it was her permanent state now. She can barely get off the couch. She claims not to be weak,just an awful feeling of extreme blah. She cries a lot. I don’t believe she is depressed. I read on the NCBI site there are many viruses that are latent and chronic. Anyone experience this mystery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:20 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,324,825 times
See another doctor "her own virus" is not a Dx

Old 05-02-2018, 05:01 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Find a good dr. No such thing as her own virus. Has she ever spent anytime outside? Lots of tick diseases that have no test. Has she ever
traveled outside the country?

Old 05-03-2018, 06:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
no one has their "own virus", though I'm not surprised that a doctor treating an elderly woman would say that....the older generation were taught that a doctor knows best...no questioning, Docs taking advantage of that...
.He probably doesn't really care because of her age. Lots of people don't care for older people any more.....His diagnosis is a pile of crap....laughable if it wasn't so serious....Doc could have been honest and said he doesn't know, instead of lying to her.
Try another Doctor if you can.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:23 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
Could be chronic lyme disease or something like mast cell activation syndrome. She should see another doctor. Hospitals have an agenda to get older people out within a certain number of days for Medicare, and some hospitals will push you out the door before you're feeling any better because of it.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,848,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrunkitty View Post
My aunt is 84 and just spent time in the hospital,3 days. She presented with nausea and just not feeling right. They performed CT scans and many blood tests. On discharge they told her it was her own virus and it was her permanent state now. She can barely get off the couch. She claims not to be weak,just an awful feeling of extreme blah. She cries a lot. I don’t believe she is depressed. I read on the NCBI site there are many viruses that are latent and chronic. Anyone experience this mystery?

Hypothyroid can have those symptoms.

Did they do a TSH blood test?

Old 05-04-2018, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
"Your own virus" sounds a bit un-medical lol I'd get a second opinion.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:44 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Could be chronic lyme disease or something like mast cell activation syndrome. She should see another doctor. Hospitals have an agenda to get older people out within a certain number of days for Medicare, and some hospitals will push you out the door before you're feeling any better because of it.
I agree with possible Lyme disease. It can manifest itself in so many different ways. It has no timeline as to when you get symptoms. It can stay dormant for years and then pop up. My daughter has it and it manifested itself in a sore swollen knee. We though it was from soccer. At the same time she started pulling out her hair. We sent her to a psychologist. Our orthopedist had a hunch about lyme and tested her. She had it. She went through a few cycles of antibiotics and the hair pulling stopped as well as the soreness. Anytime she has a strange symptom our minds immediately go to lyme. She is fine now, but she has to live knowing that it can come back at anytime.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:37 PM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
Yet another reason why Western docs should not be your only or last stop.

There are tons of chronic ailments they cannot help you with. Most viruses in particular are not curable or manageable with the exception of HIV now which can be suppressed.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:56 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
no one has their "own virus", though I'm not surprised that a doctor treating an elderly woman would say that....the older generation were taught that a doctor knows best...no questioning, Docs taking advantage of that...
.He probably doesn't really care because of her age. Lots of people don't care for older people any more.....His diagnosis is a pile of crap....laughable if it wasn't so serious....Doc could have been honest and said he doesn't know, instead of lying to her.
Try another Doctor if you can.
Something that I just thought about. Did Dr say that or is that what the woman heard?

Still, get another opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness