Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 12:17 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Overall, I am active, in excellent health except for being somewhat overweight, and do not smoke at all. Not being a hypochondriac and wanting to limit my time with doctors to the amount which is necessary, I decry the current “test-itis” of the medical profession. This thread is about my concerns that doctors immediately order tests rather than listen to a patient and address the problems. I am 61.

About three and a half years ago, my blood pressure came in at 140/80, very marginally high for my then age 58, and I was sent for a cardiogram and then a stress cardiogram. I was prescribed medication which lowered the blood pressure but turned me from being energetic to listless.
Earlier, In 1995 I had some clouds in my right, weak eye. I had a standard eye exam, which was clean. Then a flourescine angiography (sp on both) which was clean. Then they wanted an MRI. I agreed. It was "boringly normal." Then they wanted a baseline neurological. I asked if this was to test for MS, the doctor said "yes." I asked if the way I spent the next day would change based on the results, and he said "no." I got out of the chair, told him to "jump in a lake" and walked out. Doctors are good enough to know the diagnoses ahead of time but just don't get to the point. I may have posted this by the way.

On October 31, 2017 I was home from work on a personal engagement but was doing some work from home While I was preparing a chart on the computer and was typing on the keyboard and had trouble with getting my right hand to work correctly. I typed out the last digits on the chart one-handed and then took an hour nap. At that point I little better. I went to sleep after Halloween visitors stopped coming.

The next day at work I was slurring my words and had trouble typing. November 1 was the worst day. On November 2, I went to theater with my wife and felt almost normal. The next few weeks were a bit “on and off.” When I played tennis on Wednesday, November 15, one of the other players still noticed a slight limp. I was roundly criticized for not going to a doctor. Finally, in early February I started taking 32 mgs. of aspirin daily, and am back to 100%.

I will have to alert the doctor on this when I get the new shingles vaccine. I have already written it up. I am willing to take a carotid artery sonogram but that's it. I will not have unguided tests.

And basically I want peoples’ views; are most doctors targeted and focused or to they on a reflex basis order tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 12:25 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Nobody can give an opinion on "most doctors" as most people have seen "most doctors".

you've obviously had some health issues (the b/p is high - not marginally high) - doctors need to try to figure out what is causing the issues you've had/are having.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:43 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Remember our BP varies almost every minute. With foods, thoughts, actions...you name it. I don't think 140/80 is high but those guidelines change so often it can drive one to high BP. I go to my integrative MD once a year and I'm in good health overall except for the arthritis cwap and I'm headed to 80. I'm not over test oriented...and do not do what MOST here believe are the "standard care" tests...I'm so much my own MD. So far I'm good. But again I believe the whole industry is $$$ brainwashed. I'm certain OP has read enough about what I do for my overall health.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-04-2018 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Remember our BP varies almost every minute. With foods, thoughts, actions...you name it. I don't think 140/80 is high but those guidelines change so often it can drive one to high BP. I go to my integrative MD once a year and I'm in good health overall except for the arthritis cwap and I'm headed to 80. I'm not over test oriented...and do not do what MOST here believe are the "standard care" tests...I'm so much my own MD. So far I'm good. But again I believe the whole industry is $$$ brainwashed.
According to WedMD (link):
Quote:
Adults aged 60 or older should only take blood pressure medication if their blood pressure exceeds 150/90, which sets a higher bar for treatment than the current guideline of 140/90, according to the report, published online Dec. 18 in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
This post in WebMD was in 2013, when maximum pressures were raised. Now they have been lowered to 134.

Go figure.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:10 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

And basically I want peoples’ views; are most doctors targeted and focused or to they on a reflex basis order tests?
Of course they have to order tests; doctors aren't psychic, and they can't see inside your body with their eyes. If you come to them with symptoms that could be from different diseases, they can't just make a wild guess, they have to test and see the results to get your diagnosis and prescribe your treatment.

Diagnosing disease isn't magic, it's lab results and imaging.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Of course they have to order tests; doctors aren't psychic, and they can't see inside your body with their eyes. If you come to them with symptoms that could be from different diseases, they can't just make a wild guess, they have to test and see the results to get your diagnosis and prescribe your treatment.

Diagnosing disease isn't magic, it's lab results and imaging.
In September 1971 my father had some rectal bleeding. The family doctor sent him to a proctologist though he knew what my father had; Stage 4 rectal cancer. He was dead in a year and a half.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Remember our BP varies almost every minute. With foods, thoughts, actions...you name it. I don't think 140/80 is high but those guidelines change so often it can drive one to high BP. I go to my integrative MD once a year and I'm in good health overall except for the arthritis cwap and I'm headed to 80. I'm not over test oriented...and do not do what MOST here believe are the "standard care" tests...I'm so much my own MD. So far I'm good. But again I believe the whole industry is $$$ brainwashed. I'm certain OP has read enough about what I do for my overall health.
Actually I haven't. I will now.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
...On October 31, 2017 I was home from work on a personal engagement but was doing some work from home While I was preparing a chart on the computer and was typing on the keyboard and had trouble with getting my right hand to work correctly. I typed out the last digits on the chart one-handed and then took an hour nap. At that point I little better. I went to sleep after Halloween visitors stopped coming.

The next day at work I was slurring my words and had trouble typing. November 1 was the worst day. On November 2, I went to theater with my wife and felt almost normal. The next few weeks were a bit “on and off.” When I played tennis on Wednesday, November 15, one of the other players still noticed a slight limp. I was roundly criticized for not going to a doctor. Finally, in early February I started taking 32 mgs. of aspirin daily, and am back to 100%...

It sounds exactly like you had a transient ischemic attack (TIA), also known as a mini-stroke. The most likely cause was a temporary block of blood flow to the brain. If the blood flow is only temporary, the brain repairs itself over the next few hours/days/months. But that doesnt mean you're back to 100% healthwise.

I know, because I had several TIAs before my big stroke. I wasnt aware of TIAs and didnt realize that I should go to the doctor right away, even though I recovered well from each one. I had a 95% blockage in my carotid artery and small pieces broke off, causing the TIAs. Eventually, a larger piece broke off and caused a serious stroke (which is when the blockage was discovered). I had to have emergency surgery and it took me years of physical and occupational therapy to recover. That was 12 years ago and, although I still do therapy exercises at home every day, I still cant handwrite and my entire right side is still weak.

My blood pressure wasnt unusually high back then either. I know it can vary throughout the day but that it shouldnt vary by much. I didnt realize, however, that it could spike really high at times without my being aware of it. That's what happened to cause small pieces, and then finally a larger piece, of the blockage to break off. My blood pressure is now well-controlled with medication and is usually in the 110/70 range.

Please be careful about following advice from others on the internet. There are many uninformed people whose advice can be dangerous and has been proven to be incorrect, but they continue to dish it out anyway.

Last edited by TFW46; 05-04-2018 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: edited to correct those pesky typos

Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Actually I haven't. I will now.
I know many don't agree with me and that is fine, as we all have our choices and opinions on taking care of ourselves. I have strong hearts in my family as best I know, both parents died in 90's and their hearts didn't want to give out, they finally did. But regardless, I take my own remedies for heart health and that is what seems to be working for me, so far anyway at my later age. As I was reading a blog this morning, the author was saying, "supps are the gap fill ins"...foods are very important but there are gaps. Both my parents ate everything as they all did back in "those" days. Could be too not as much junk back then. Thinking back, it was a treat to buy a bag of potato chips....today they are second nature. Oh hummm.

And I agree don't listen to all on the internet, the doctors know everything.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:06 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Quote:
In September 1971 my father had some rectal bleeding. The family doctor sent him to a proctologist though he knew what my father had; Stage 4 rectal cancer. He was dead in a year and a half.
What is your point? They should have just said "oh, he has rectal bleeding" - we'll just decide w/o testing what it is........ ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness