Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,723,684 times

Advertisements

I never had a problem getting used to mine. I agree with the other posters in that I would go back and make sure they are fitted properly.

The only issue that I have had is with computer use. Apparently, I recently started using that middle distance portion more and was tilting my head to see clearly. Since I spend a lot of time at the computer, it was making my neck hurt. My doctor recommended a separate pair of computer glasses (single vision). I got a pair for about $100 and it was well worth the expense. I leave them next to my computer and use them if I'm going to be on for more than a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 09:16 AM

13,376 posts, read 28,629,015 times
HATED them, made me dizzy, went back and got two pairs, one for reading and one for distance, I switch off depending on what I am doing. If driving, the distance ones, if reading the reading ones.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:11 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,617,381 times
Yes, it does take a period of adjustment. It was about two weeks for me. At first, you have to tilt your chin to adjust your viewing distance, but eventually you will learn to do that by shifting your gaze, instead, and will do it automatically.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:14 AM

28,579 posts, read 18,614,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I never had a problem getting used to mine. I agree with the other posters in that I would go back and make sure they are fitted properly.

The only issue that I have had is with computer use. Apparently, I recently started using that middle distance portion more and was tilting my head to see clearly. Since I spend a lot of time at the computer, it was making my neck hurt. My doctor recommended a separate pair of computer glasses (single vision). I got a pair for about $100 and it was well worth the expense. I leave them next to my computer and use them if I'm going to be on for more than a few minutes.
Yes on this.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 AM

793 posts, read 560,081 times
This post reminded me that I even had them, lol. I've had them for so long, they are just part of my world. You'll get used to them, like riding a bicycle, and proper use will become a habit after awhile. Do give it some time, you'll be glad you did. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM

4,596 posts, read 3,256,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I hate progressive lenses maybe because as another poster said I'm a musician , a cellist and violinist might have something to do with it but next time I wont be getting the progressives .
Yeah, it's not easy. I use my "middle range" glasses for playing in orchestra. It's perfect for seeing the music. The conductor is a tad fuzzy, but as we all laughingly say, "Who cares about him being in focus?"

Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 PM

3,111 posts, read 5,011,935 times
It depends on your prescription. The first two prescriptions I got for progressives were awful and hard to get used to. I bought some of my own from Zenni, where it was cheap to experiment with different reader values and found that having less of a difference between the reader portion and the distance portion made them feel like my own eyes. My two prescriptions were from different Drs. so I think they don't understand how to write the progressive prescription very well. You may want to experiment with different values until you come up with one you like.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,180,125 times
I have worn progressives ever since I needed readers, and they work out okay for me, BUT....

* One girl friend of mine got progressives and had a hard time adjusting. She ended up tripping on the crack of a sidewalk, falling, and tearing her rotator cuff. Ended up with 3 surgeries.

* A boss and his wife both tried them and did not like them. They both spend hours doing complex computer work. They went back to separate distance and readers and prefer it that way.

It's okay to have personal preferences - everyone is different!

Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,113,551 times
It does take some time....My first pair I thought that I'd break my neck going down my stairs.....it took a couple weeks.....I have trifocals now.....I would never go back.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:43 AM

744 posts, read 476,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Long story short, when I hit about 40ish I needed readers.

8 years later I have excellent vision insurance and go and get 2 pair of glasses.
BOGO deal 89 bucks or something. One distance and one for reading.
Distance prescription is very mild, the reading I was wearing a 2.5 magnification.

Last Saturday I decide to take advantage of having good vision insurance, and my company recently changed the plan so I'm provided with a free pair of progressives.

I've only had them a few hours but I'm having a real hard time adjusting.
I'm at the point I want to rip the things off and put back on the readers.

And of course as with everything that's free there are always charges.
I paid extra for UV protection and frame upgrade.

Is it normal for it to take time to get used to them, the guy at the eye place was rushed to close up shop so we only conversed shortly..
Yes it take a few hours, but I assume you are ok with them by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness