Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 04:40 PM

8,229 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
This study brought to you by MADD. lol Ah, it is all one big joke. I think heredity plays a big part of it and everyone is different. These scientists seem to think all humans are the same. I got news for them. We aren't. For some alcohol is the best calmer you can get. Most in my family drink and most liver over 90. I think I will stick to what my family indicates, not some small study that means nothing to me.
That is a big problem with most medical research. All different types of people are averaged in. And there is nothing they can do about that. They can separate out certain types -- maybe males vs females, black vs white, etc. But there can be all kinds of differences between people science doesn't know about.

So we have to rely on moderation and common sense.

I hate to think of all the people who are still eating margarine, low fat yoghurt, and egg whites, because of defective past research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 04:45 PM

510 posts, read 716,277 times
There's something called "Winston Churchill" syndrome, in which someone drinks, smokes and lives an unhealthy lifestyle, yet lives until they are very very old. I always keep that in mind.

My wife's brother smoked and drank his whole life - he was an alcoholic. I kept telling her that with both alcohol and smoking as risk factors he wouldn't live very long. Well, in fact he died at 63 of natural causes. But you never can tell.

Old 05-13-2018, 05:01 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That is a big problem with most medical research. All different types of people are averaged in. And there is nothing they can do about that. They can separate out certain types -- maybe males vs females, black vs white, etc. But there can be all kinds of differences between people science doesn't know about.

So we have to rely on moderation and common sense.

I hate to think of all the people who are still eating margarine, low fat yoghurt, and egg whites, because of defective past research.
That is not the way medical research is done. There are statistical methods that can control for multiple potential confounding factors and develop risk estimates. Statistics apply to groups, not individuals.

As individuals, we have to decide whether we want to accept the risks or not. Also, it is advisable not to make changes based on one study. Research needs to be replicated.

Dietary advice changes based on new data. That is the way research works. Would you want it to be any other way?

Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That is not the way medical research is done. There are statistical methods that can control for multiple potential confounding factors and develop risk estimates. Statistics apply to groups, not individuals.

As individuals, we have to decide whether we want to accept the risks or not. Also, it is advisable not to make changes based on one study. Research needs to be replicated.

Dietary advice changes based on new data. That is the way research works. Would you want it to be any other way?
I'm sure I understand research statistics a lot better than you.

They can't control for things they did not think of.

Yes I would like it to be another way. Controlled research can help, once you know exactly what to look for. But doctors also need to pay attention to their patients, and observe patterns. A medical doctor who is intelligent and observant might notice things, after many years of practice, that no one had researched yet. Keep in mind that most things have not been researched.

We also should pay attention to our own experiences and take responsibility for our own health. There is no medical professional who cares as much about my health as I do.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:32 AM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I'm sure I understand research statistics a lot better than you.

They can't control for things they did not think of.

Yes I would like it to be another way. Controlled research can help, once you know exactly what to look for. But doctors also need to pay attention to their patients, and observe patterns. A medical doctor who is intelligent and observant might notice things, after many years of practice, that no one had researched yet. Keep in mind that most things have not been researched.

We also should pay attention to our own experiences and take responsibility for our own health. There is no medical professional who cares as much about my health as I do.
"Our own experiences" are anecdotes, not data.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 PM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
However, they are the most important things we need to consider when making decisions about our own lives.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I really tried to explain to you why the data is not adequate. Maybe I have to explain it again?

Maybe alcohol is good for some types of people, and bad for others. When you analyze the data, you probably won't see that, unless you are specifically looking at those types of people.

This can happen with anything at all. The data will only provide information about the majority, or about sub groups you have specifically included in the analysis.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:28 PM

And furthermore, we should TRUST OUR OWN EXPERIENCES. Don't give your life over to "experts." It makes sense to ask their advice and opinion, but they CAN BE WRONG. If what they say contradicts your experience, maybe YOU ARE RIGHT.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:31 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
I'm trying to cut down from daily drinking a few drinks to drinking just on Fri/Sat... I plan to drink 2-4 drinks on Fri and 2-3 drinks on Saturday and then alcohol free Sun-Thu. I feel this would be low risk, opinions?

Old 06-02-2018, 04:23 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I'm trying to cut down from daily drinking a few drinks to drinking just on Fri/Sat... I plan to drink 2-4 drinks on Fri and 2-3 drinks on Saturday and then alcohol free Sun-Thu. I feel this would be low risk, opinions?
Well, that's a start. I drank maybe one drink daily for years, mostly wine, but stopped it all. Do you take meds? Many meds say do not drink alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness