Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 11:20 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times

Advertisements

I no longer have vision insurance. In Texas, a new prescription is required yearly to purchase glasses. I have a good optometrist that does a comprehensive eye exam, but I only want to see him every other year. I found the Opternative website and wondering if anyone has actually used it to get a prescription and if so, how accurate was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 11:33 AM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Following. I had a falling out with my eye doctor and have been looking at this as well.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Following. I had a falling out with my eye doctor and have been looking at this as well.
Well, there's a Groupon right now for $39. I went ahead and sprung for it so I’ll let you know how it goes.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:26 PM

666 posts, read 642,274 times
Awesome, thank you!

Old 05-15-2018, 07:07 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
There is no state or federal law anywhere in the USA requiring an up-to-date Rx, nor even any Rx at all, to dispense eyeglasses. That is an internal "rule" established by opticians, who usually have an in-house optometrist.

It is perfectly legal for a lens seller to fill an order based on the verbal declaration of the patient. The optician tells you it is the law, but that is a lie, there is no law, in any state, to that effect.

In fact, if you have had cataract surgery, it is medically impossible for your prescription to change, and what you have will be correct for the rest of your life. But opticians will still tell you that you have to get a new Rx.

If you don't want to keep paying an optometrist over and over again forever, just go to an online dispenser like zenni, type in what you think your Rx is, and wait for them to come in the mail, no questions asked.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There is no state or federal law anywhere in the USA requiring an up-to-date Rx, nor even any Rx at all, to dispense eyeglasses. That is an internal "rule" established by opticians, who usually have an in-house optometrist.

It is perfectly legal for a lens seller to fill an order based on the verbal declaration of the patient. The optician tells you it is the law, but that is a lie, there is no law, in any state, to that effect.

In fact, if you have had cataract surgery, it is medically impossible for your prescription to change, and what you have will be correct for the rest of your life. But opticians will still tell you that you have to get a new Rx.

If you don't want to keep paying an optometrist over and over again forever, just go to an online dispenser like zenni, type in what you think your Rx is, and wait for them to come in the mail, no questions asked.
Interesting because at one time Texas did have a state law mandating that a prescription could not be over a year old for glasses. I tried looking it up and could only find where that was relevant to contact lenses. It's a moot point however because most consumers have been led to believe it's the law and no eyeglass place will fill a prescription over a year old (trust me I've tried).

I may have to resort to buying them online with the Opternative Rx, we'll see what happens. I just don't know how you measure and fit a pair of glasses properly over the internet! I have a very small head so not all frames fit me very well.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:34 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Interesting because at one time Texas did have a state law mandating that a prescription could not be over a year old for glasses. I tried looking it up and could only find where that was relevant to contact lenses. It's a moot point however because most consumers have been led to believe it's the law and no eyeglass place will fill a prescription over a year old (trust me I've tried).

I may have to resort to buying them online with the Opternative Rx, we'll see what happens. I just don't know how you measure and fit a pair of glasses properly over the internet! I have a very small head so not all frames fit me very well.
The way that I always got good fitting frames online, from both Zenni optical and other places, is to take a pair of frames that fit you well, measure them, and order a pair with similar measurements. The online retailers always list the measurements of their frames.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness