Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 PM

797 posts, read 752,469 times

Advertisements

Balance.
Problem now days is excess. Even ketchup has sugar.
Hence the millions of people with type 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You have no reason for saying that. For some reason, you want to deny the reality of metabolic syndrome.

The fact that 80% of diabetics are overweight is not relevant. Many type 2 diabetics, and metabolic syndrome patients, are NOT overweight.

What they all have in common is insulin resistance, which is caused by too much refined sugar, while muscles are not using enough of the energy.

Exactly HOW do you think obesity causes type 2 diabetes?
https://www.everydayhealth.com/type-...cause-diabetes

"Insulin Resistance and Sugar: What’s the Relationship?
Insulin is a hormone that — in people without diabetes — ferries glucose, or blood sugar, to cells for energy or to be stored for later use. In people with diabetes, cells are resistant to insulin; as a result of this insulin resistance, sugar accumulates in the blood. While eating sugar by itself does not cause insulin resistance, Grieger says, foods with sugar and fat can contribute to weight gain, thereby reducing insulin sensitivity in the body."

https://www.medicinenet.com/script/m...ticlekey=39840

"The researchers found that obesity causes stress in a system of cellular membranes called endoplasmic reticulum (ER), which in turn causes the endoplasmic reticulum to suppress the signals of insulin receptors, which then leads to insulin resistance."

Quote:
Yeah, that is the way it's done. Which was the point.
Um, no. That is not the way medical research is done. Perhaps you can link us to a study which "averages most people together."

Quote:
Yes genetics is always a factor. But it is very seldom the only factor.

For diseases that are entirely genetic, the rate doesn't tend to change. But the modern diseases, like type 2 diabetes, have been increasing rapidly. Therefore, genetics is only part of it.
Obesity is increasing because people eat too much of everything, not just sugar. That is a major driver of the increased number of people, including children, with diabetes.

The contribution of increased intra-abdominal fat to diabetes is the subject of intense research.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315849.php

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321301.php

Dr. Gabe Mirkin on Health, Fitness and Nutrition. | Belly Fat Causes Diabetes, Heart Attacks

Old 05-19-2018, 07:18 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I requested the test for LADA, and it's negative. I usually don't don't do that, but it is just so odd for me to be pre-diabetic.... there is no "lifestyle" reason for it. I am the poster child of what NOT to do to get diabeties.

There does seem to be some correlation between RA inflammation and type 2, not just due to most people with those conditions being overweight. The chronic inflammation is suspected of causing insulin resistance. But on the other hand.... my RA is almost symptom less, so I would think that would mean less inflammation body wide.....

On the other side my psoriasis is NOT being suppressed by the Enbrel, and only an additional topical does that... My RA is psoriatic so they are tied together....

So much fun!!

I wonder if some of the medications you take might be raising your blood sugar levels? Raising blood sugar levels are listed as possible side effects of any number of drugs. If you're not overweight, eating well and maintaining a healthy life style, and still have fasting glucose levels within a "prediabetic" range, maybe some of the prescription drugs have something to do with it?

http://www.rxeconsult.com/healthcare...Diabetes--621/

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/medic...od-sugar-spike

I've fought that "prediabetes" label for a number of years now- after the "normal ranges" for glucose were lowered to below 100 mg/dl,( I think it used to be 110, maybe even 125 or so, but I can't find anything online to verify that) and the hemoglobin A1C were lowered to 5.4 or 5.5 or so ( used to be 6.0). I exercise daily, avoid sugars and excess carbs, and try to keep my weight under control, don't smoke, drink, but my fasting blood sugar, no matter what I do, hangs around 104, and goes up to 109 on occasions. I take two medications that are on those lists of drugs that may raise blood sugar, and think perhaps those might contribute to my "increased" blood sugar. That'd be a low dose of simvastatin ( I take 20 mg every other day, looking to cut it out and replace with krill oil caps), and metoprolol, a beta blocker which was increased significantly several months ago to control cardiac arrythmias that threaten to run my life . Don't think those are about to go away, so we'll see what the affect on my blood sugar is when it's checked at my annual physical.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:12 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
People used the old adage about sugar spoiling your appetite because in the old days some natural sugars would do that. I think that's what desert was for. Somewhere I read that some of the sugars commonly used today do not suppress your appetite.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:23 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I have neuropathy, damaged nerves all over my body. Eating sugar and/or high-carb foods makes my nerve-pain flare-up something horrible. I love a good piece of cake once in a while....but I pay for it when I eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness