Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:28 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times

Advertisements

This is a follow-up post, 8 months after my 2nd Shingrix shot. The night after I got it, I was unable to sleep at all. I had a fever and felt terrible, but it went away after about 16 hours. It caused phlegm to build up in my throat and that is still happening, although there's no soreness.

And I've finally realized that it has had a good effect, that only gradually took place. My deep itching has declined to just a small amount and there are very few new sore spots on my back. Maybe these things will continue to improve. My cost with Trillium Advantage was just $3.70 twice, as a co-pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
Had my second shot yesterday—as did my husband (both 70) about 11 at the CVS we use
They pulled their last two for us
Have Medicare with a supplement and plan D—our cost was 66 each same as last time

Different person gave them
This one rushed the shot—it is thicker than many injectables—
They reconstitute it from a power w/water—I didn’t know that before yesterday
She also rubbed my arm pretty hard after pushing the vaccine to disperse it in the arm
My site/arm (left) is sore—probably more sore than the 1st—that lasted 4 days
My husband says his site is not as sore
I felt a little off yesterday—took Advil mid afternoon
Lot of discomfort trying to raise my arm—took shower last night before bed hoping it might help

As long as I don’t get hives/anaphylactic shock reaction I can tolerate arm pain bcuz I do not want to get Shingles again...

Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
My pharmacist is a hard ass, insisting that I wait a month because I got a tetanus shot "only" two weeks ago. She also insists that the 2nd shot be given at 6 months after the 1st, rather than the 2-6 as OKd by CDC.
I had to wait also after a tetanus vaccine that I had in late March. I finally gathered enough courage and my appointment is next Monday.

Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,552,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Has anyone gotten the new shingles vaccine ...any issues with bad side effects?
Yes. No. Prior to the Shingrix I got shingles and it was horrible, horrible, horrible! I got the shots as quickly as they were available.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,320,351 times
I had shingles too at the age of 53. My last shot of Shingrix was three months ago, and my second shot is scheduled in about a week from now. No side effects were experienced at all, other than a bit sore on my arm that got an intramascular shot.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:21 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
I just received my first vaccine yesterday. Other than a sore arm at the injection site and some fatigue, I am not suffering any of the side effects that my husband had with both vaccines: severe headache, achies, chills, and fever. They lasted about 4 days.

Still, I am grateful for the vaccine and am scheduled for my second one in late August. I have known people who suffered through this virus including one who had it internally. He is a big biker dude (sweet as can be, though) who suffered such intense pain. My best to all of you.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:27 PM

4,046 posts, read 2,129,570 times
The night that we got a Shingrix vaccine my husband had atrial fibrillation that required a trip to the Emergency Room to eventually get shocked because his heartbeat wouldn't convert on its own or with drugs. He had had a history of AFib--but two years earlier had an ablation and never had another episode after...until the vaccine. He hasn't had one since. Coincidence or not? Never ahd such a reaction with a flu shot or any other vaccine...

Old 06-19-2019, 03:19 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,320,351 times
Had my second shot of Shingrix yesterday. Could not sleep the whole night with fever, aching muscles and general weakness. I am still feeling a little feverish.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Has anyone gotten the new shingles vaccine...any issues with bad side effects?
It took me a long time to decide to have the vaccine. I wasn't sure if I should even get it because I have a connective tissue disorder and am allergic to a lot of medications. I'm allergic to all the new antibiotics, can only take amoxicillin. I have a morphine allergy, I'm even allergic to steroids.

I decided to use a small pharmacy because the owner said he'd make sure he saved one for me for when I filled my scripts in August. Since I'm on a few very expensive medications, I max out my prescription insurance by March, I'm then out of the donut hole in August.

In August, the main pharmacist Greg is the only one that does vaccines. He wasn't there so I couldn't get it. The same day, I ended up at Walmart to pick up a prescription but their computers were down so I couldn't get the vaccine there either. I'm a big believer that I have angels that look out for me. At this point, I figured that my angels were telling me that I shouldn't get the vaccine. What are the chances that Walmart's computers were down? I've never seen it happen.

I was back at the small pharmacy September 18th to fill my pain meds. Greg was there. I decided I would get the vaccine after all because when I had shingles at 51 (I'm 54 now) it was near my eye in my top eyelid, where my eye lashes are. As Greg was giving me the vaccine I said "I hope I'm not allergic to it". I paid for the vaccine and my prescriptions, by the time I got to the door to walk out, my top gums and the roof of my mouth were tingling. By the time I got to my car, my throat was tingling like it does when I have a reaction to morphine. Thankfully, my throat didn't close. I had these symptoms for about 5 hours.

I had the vaccine in my left arm, it hurt like heck but I knew to expect that from following all the shingles vaccine threads here. I also knew that most people had flu like symptoms with the 2nd vaccine; I ended up with flu like symptoms from the 1st that lasted about 2 week. I also got sick, I was throwing up bad.

I sent my GP a message thru their patient portal, she told me not to get the 2nd vaccine because she's worried the 2nd one will close my throat. Now I hope that the 1st vaccine will be enough to stop me from having shingles a 2nd time because I really don't want to lose my eye or suffer with long term facial pain.

I just wish I knew what I'm allergic to that's in the vaccine.

I had tried to get the old vaccine when I was 50 but insurance wouldn't pay for it. I'm so thankful they wouldn't because if this milder vaccine gave me bad side effects, I can't even imagine what the old vaccine would have done to me.

So for anyone that has allergies to meds like I do, I suggest really thinking twice before getting the vaccine. I'd hate to see someone else suffer a bad as I did.

Old 01-12-2021, 10:28 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,433,253 times
Got the 2nd shingrix shot yesterday...with the first one I had a little fever for a day..with this second one I have a fever that comes and goes and had a headache all last night..which I never get. Seeing my mother and even sister in law have shingles, how painful it was for months I will gladly put up with a few days of being uncomfortable...I am 74. I had the previous shingles shot years ago, don't remember any reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness