Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
My pharmacist is a hard ass, insisting that I wait a month because I got a tetanus shot "only" two weeks ago. She also insists that the 2nd shot be given at 6 months after the 1st, rather than the 2-6 as OKd by CDC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
She's wrong, and she may discourage people from getting the vaccine with those policies.
Maybe....but not so fast:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...g-vaccine.html

Administration with Other Vaccines
CDC general recommendations advise that recombinant and adjuvanted vaccines, such as Shingrix, can be administered concomitantly, at different anatomic sites, with other adult vaccines. Concomitant administration of Shingrix with Fluarix Quadrivalent (influenza vaccine) (QIV) has been studied, and there was no evidence for interference in the immune response to either vaccine or safety concerns. Evaluation of co-administration of Shingrix with 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (Pneumovax23) (PPSV23) and Tetanus Toxoid, Reduced Diphtheria Toxoid and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine, Adsorbed (Boostrix) is ongoing. The safety and efficacy of administration of two adjuvanted vaccines (e.g., Shingrix and adjuvanted influenza vaccine (Fluad), either concomitantly or at other intervals, have not been evaluated.

Shingrix and pneumococcal vaccine may be administered at the same visit if the person is eligible for both. When both pneumococcal conjugate vaccine PCV13 and PPSV23 are recommended for an adult, PCV13 should always be administered first and may be administered concomitantly with Shingrix.

So the pharmacist is maybe just cautious because there are no specific recommendations for Shingrix and tetanus shots being given closely in time...it is a new vaccine and not all combinations have been assessed.

I dunno why she is stressing the second Shingrix shot being at the outside time limit of 6 months but it is still within range. But - it won't be covered by insurance if you miss the 6 month window so at least plan on going a couple weeks before then to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 03:16 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
My pharmacist is a hard ass, insisting that I wait a month because I got a tetanus shot "only" two weeks ago. She also insists that the 2nd shot be given at 6 months after the 1st, rather than the 2-6 as OKd by CDC.
Quote:
She's wrong, and she may discourage people from getting the vaccine with those policies.
Have her bring out the full prescribing information leaflet that comes with the vaccine and read you the part about having to wait six months for the second dose.

If two or more live virus vaccines are needed, they should be given on the same day or spaced four weeks apart. Shingrix is not a live virus vaccine, so that does not apply.

See page 4:

http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p2011.pdf

Old 05-27-2018, 03:33 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Maybe....but not so fast:
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...g-vaccine.html

Administration with Other Vaccines
CDC general recommendations advise that recombinant and adjuvanted vaccines, such as Shingrix, can be administered concomitantly, at different anatomic sites, with other adult vaccines. Concomitant administration of Shingrix with Fluarix Quadrivalent (influenza vaccine) (QIV) has been studied, and there was no evidence for interference in the immune response to either vaccine or safety concerns. Evaluation of co-administration of Shingrix with 23-valent pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (Pneumovax23) (PPSV23) and Tetanus Toxoid, Reduced Diphtheria Toxoid and Acellular Pertussis Vaccine, Adsorbed (Boostrix) is ongoing. The safety and efficacy of administration of two adjuvanted vaccines (e.g., Shingrix and adjuvanted influenza vaccine (Fluad), either concomitantly or at other intervals, have not been evaluated.

Shingrix and pneumococcal vaccine may be administered at the same visit if the person is eligible for both. When both pneumococcal conjugate vaccine PCV13 and PPSV23 are recommended for an adult, PCV13 should always be administered first and may be administered concomitantly with Shingrix.

So the pharmacist is maybe just cautious because there are no specific recommendations for Shingrix and tetanus shots being given closely in time...it is a new vaccine and not all combinations have been assessed.

I dunno why she is stressing the second Shingrix shot being at the outside time limit of 6 months but it is still within range. But - it won't be covered by insurance if you miss the 6 month window so at least plan on going a couple weeks before then to be sure.
Even though the confirmatory studies about giving Shingrix and Tdap on the same day have not been completed, there is no recommendation not to do it.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shi...grix/faqs.html

"Q: Can I give Shingrix with other adult vaccines?
A: Yes, Shingrix is an inactive vaccine so you can administer it with other inactive or live vaccines. If you administer Shingrix and another vaccine to someone on the same day, give them at different anatomical sites (e.g., different arms)."

Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:

AHA, a different pharmacist on duty and it was no hassle whatsoever.

Insurance covered it 100% to boot.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:47 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
I got the 1st shot yesterday around 1:00 at Walmart, $47 co-pay with Aetna Coventry.

3 hrs later, I developed some soreness and stiffness, nothing I couldn't handle. Around 7:00 pm, started feeling very tired and fuzzy headed even tho I had slept well the night before and had a nap.
At 10:00 went to bed and took 1 ibuprofen - something very rare for me - because I sleep on that side and figured it might start hurting during the night. Went right to sleep, no problems.

Today soreness is all gone but energy is a little subpar. I managed to do my 45 mins cardio but punted on follow-up yoga and just did a little stretching instead.

I deliberately waited to get the shot until I had a couple of days clear on my schedule in case it put me under the weather. Glad I did, even though I could have managed my normal activities.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Default Good Outcome So Far from Shingrix

I got my first Shingrix shot at 7 pm last evening. I'm sure that most medical professionals and those who have received this vaccination would agree, that the quick and profound results I got, just could not be. But in fact, within 12 hours of receiving the shot, all traces of the deep, burning itch I have suffered continuously for 7 years, were gone.

Most of the itching has been on my back, but sometimes elsewhere. I've had just a few oozing sores on my back, that have come and gone, periodically. I never had any hint of shingles, until 2 months after I received the Zostavax shot, 7 years ago.

The doctor I see was reluctant to give me the Shingrix vaccination and suggested I go to a pharmacy, instead. They did in fact give me the first shot at the pharmacy I patronize and with Trillium Advantage coverage, my out-of-pocket cost was $3.70, as a co-pay. The Pharmacist who gave me the shot, says I should return for the 2nd one, after 2 to 6 months.

The doctor told me that both Zostavax and Shingrix were live-virus vaccinations, so I will have to inform him that Shingrix is not a live-virus type. My shoulder last night, had more soreness than from any other vaccination I've ever taken. This is declining today, as is the slight fever I ran last night. But, I slept about as well as usual, although in several installments. My dreams were indeed wild, which was good, as they involved my favorite activity. Overall, for about 16 hours, I felt like two cents worth of you-know-what, but that is passing and it was a small price, for getting rid of that itching. Just hoping that outcome continues.

Old 06-17-2018, 08:57 AM

37 posts, read 40,027 times
Male, 61. Shingrix vaccine recommended by Doc. Administered at local pharmacy for $47.

First shot:
Sore arm for several days. Kinda tired.

Second shot 2 months later:
Muscle pain - did I get hit by a truck?
Fatigue - OMG.
Headache - oh yeah.
Shivering - some.
Fever - check.
Upset stomach - check.

Spent most of the day in bed. After 1 day I was fine.

I'd suggest not having anything planned for a couple of days after a shot. Just in case. Of course you just might be fine.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Not really. Young, healthy people get shingles too. Heck, even kids get it, though that's rare. No one knows what causes the chickenpox virus to reactivate. Aging has something to do with it, the incidence goes up with age.
It is immune/stress related in many cases I think
I got my case of shingles when I was in otherwise very good health the summer I retired from teaching (early-retirement at 55)...
Had been a tremendously stressful year--my dad died from cancer in November and his wife and her daughter were extremely vindictive/greedy. I had some classes from hell that year and my VP was as supportive as a wet noodle. I retired to protected my spousal SS benefit--because of anticipated changes in SS rules but it would have been very difficult to psych myself up to come back for another year even if that SS policy wasn't changing...

My son developed shingles when he was going through treatment for cancer when he was in 5th grade--
And he had chicken pox itself---no vaccine available for it when he was a child...

Old 06-19-2018, 11:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YippeeKi-Yay View Post
Male, 61. Shingrix vaccine recommended by Doc. Administered at local pharmacy for $47.

First shot:
Sore arm for several days. Kinda tired.

Second shot 2 months later:
Muscle pain - did I get hit by a truck?
Fatigue - OMG.
Headache - oh yeah.
Shivering - some.
Fever - check.
Upset stomach - check.

Spent most of the day in bed. After 1 day I was fine.

I'd suggest not having anything planned for a couple of days after a shot. Just in case. Of course you just might be fine.
That is good to know
I had a bad reaction to the flu vaccine couple of years ago when I got the increased dose given to seniors
That was recommended at the CVS I got the shot...
I was told later that it was really for seniors in more fragile health so I have only taken the regular dose after that...

I would like to get the new vaccine--
My drug/insurance company won't pay via Costco--would be over 100 bucks there
CVS though is covered/cheaper...

Old 08-24-2018, 08:10 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Default Very Bad Experience with 2nd Shingrix Shot

I got my 2nd Shingrix shot yesterday and have spent one of the worst days of my life. Unlike the first shot in June, which didn't disrupt my life, this one completely blocked all sleep. I developed about a 2-degree fever and did not get a single minute of sleep all night. The shoulder pain wasn't as bad as with the first shot, but I felt much sicker.

I finally dragged myself out of bed after 9 hours and forced myself to eat a meal. Then I got an hour of sun exposure, which I knew would help me. The fever was gone by then. Afterwards, I flopped into a reclining chair and fell into a deep sleep for two hours. That doesn't sound like much sleep, but it saved me. I now feel almost half-human again. Hopefully, this vaccine won't ever have to be taken again.

One disturbing thing, was something I've never had happen before. When the fever peaked, I had frequent urges to urinate, but couldn't deliver more than a short trickle. Fortunately, that passed, after the fever left and things are normal now.

If you were to have the same type of experience I did, with this 2nd shot, you wouldn't want to have anything important to do, on the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness