Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:46 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I won't give his name but my fomer doctor gets over $45K from drug companies (one in particular) - just for kicks I checked another Dr. and for yrs. there was minimal <200 Yr. - food
The problem is there's no explanation as to the "Why" for the payments. What was the $45K for? Could be a perfectly understandable explanation, or it might not. Often, physicians at academic institutions, particularly public ones, have to disclose and describe such activities. Whether or not that information is readily available to the public varies to a large degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 11:51 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
The ones for food are likely from continuing education seminars, where lunch is provided during the mid-day break. Seminars are long and boring, and lunch is provided right there in the facility.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,423 times
One study I read stated that many doctors will be convinced to start pushing a particular drug for less than a $20 meal. Here it is.... https://clark.com/insurance/doctor-b...certain-drugs/

Here is another interesting article.... https://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist....rug-kickbacks/

Texas Ag 93 asked a question about doctors attending certain training where they are receiving some sort of perk, whether it be a meal or their hotel paid for. My question is... would the doctor have bothered to attend if they had to pay for the trip out of their own pocket? If learning a new procedure was really all that important to them they could easily pay for it themselves. The whole point is that they accepted some sort of perk that enticed them.

This article discusses doctors receiving payments for writing brand name prescriptions.... https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...me-prescribing

However, doctors who work through a large health care provider, like Kaiser, are also pushing generics in large numbers, but not because they are trying to be compassionate. It is down to protecting themselves, the health care provider and the pharmaceutical company from lawsuits for injury, damages or death. Many people are unaware that pharmaceutical manufacturers of generic drugs are immune from lawsuits.
https://www.spanglaw.com/blog/2016/j...mune-from-law/

and.... https://www.lawcash.net/important-da...lity-lawsuits/

Fortunately some states are finally challenging this rule and are turning the tide for victims.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:24 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I would advise anyone who has a doctor who will not try to find a generic alternative (or other alternative) due to financial hardship should be fired. Not all doctors are good doctors, like anything else.

My GP and RA doctor both prefer meds that have a long history of use so their patients are not the guinea pigs. When something is expensive, they tell me that upfront and ask if it is okay. When starting treatment for aggressive RA and FM the doctor had me read about medicines and come to him with what sounds good to me, he said no to a few, gave me the reason, and felt the rest were good choices. Sometimes they weren't due to side effects (it is a personal choice if the side effects are worth the good it does), and we moved on to the next choices.

I have good doctors, but that is because I fired a bunch before having a good team.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Is there ANY Dr. who DOESN'T take some sort of free training, samples, vacations, trips, or cash for prescribing or at least listening to the salesperson's spiel?

There is a reason the pharma companies sell billions of dollars of this stuff annually.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:14 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Is there ANY Dr. who DOESN'T take some sort of free training, samples, vacations, trips, or cash for prescribing or at least listening to the salesperson's spiel?

There is a reason the pharma companies sell billions of dollars of this stuff annually.
I think ignoring new meds to this extreme would be a whole different problem.

I could care less if my doctor gets a lunch or a seminar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think ignoring new meds to this extreme would be a whole different problem.

I could care less if my doctor gets a lunch or a seminar.
I've seen those sales reps lined up for their turn at the doctor. I've seen doctors who were very annoyed at their constant push for their company's drugs. It was in my long life, doctors got their info from papers, articles etc..and then chose what to try with patients. I'd bet they still get all the latest info on drugs and protocols.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post

Texas Ag 93 asked a question about doctors attending certain training where they are receiving some sort of perk, whether it be a meal or their hotel paid for. My question is... would the doctor have bothered to attend if they had to pay for the trip out of their own pocket? If learning a new procedure was really all that important to them they could easily pay for it themselves. The whole point is that they accepted some sort of perk that enticed them.
I don't know many professionals who take time away from the workplace on their own dime, even if it is for growth and development purposes. Most people expect their employer to pay for things like conferences, certifications, acquiring new skills etc, because ultimately, it benefits the entity's customers, which in the case of a physician, is patients. Why would a physician be expected to pay for these things themselves merely because they can afford it?

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-22-2018 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 02:25 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've seen those sales reps lined up for their turn at the doctor. I've seen doctors who were very annoyed at their constant push for their company's drugs. It was in my long life, doctors got their info from papers, articles etc..and then chose what to try with patients. I'd bet they still get all the latest info on drugs and protocols.
they didn't.

reps used to be much more common than they are now as did "kickbacks".

Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Though I suspect many people on this board won't believe this, the vast and overwhelming majority of these payments are for legitimate reimbursement of activities promoting education (primarily of physicians), research and, ultimately, patient care. With regards to the docs raking in millions of dollars, I too would be curious as to the background of those payments. I suspect they are individuals who have ownership and investment in one or more medical companies, and yes, I think we can have a healthy debate about the ethics of that type of arrangement.

As an example, I'll use Mr. Dr. Texas Ag 93, who appears on this list with a payment of about $2,500 total for the 3 years listed. On the CMS site, total payments listed for him is under $90. In his case, one set of payment he received was travel and meal reimbursement for flying out of state to an Implant Company's HQ to use their cadaver lab to learn how to use a new joint implant. Now, if you were his patient, would you like him to have full understanding of the equipment he's putting into you, even if it means a $2K "kickback", or would you prefer he just use you as practice?
I'd like to know the sources, too, since we never see or deal with drug reps ever but somehow I made $24 (that I've never seen or been made aware of).

Legitimacy of this site in serious question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness