Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:03 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times

Advertisements

In case this hasn't been posted yet...

You can check to see if your doctor or health provider is taking kickbacks, perks or bribes to prescribe certain medications or push medical devices.

Dollars for Docs https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Open Payments Data
https://openpaymentsdata.cms.gov/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Thanks, although the list hasn't been updated I found a Dr. that I had dropped because I suspected he was getting paid to push a specific drug - and I was right!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
My regular MD is an integrative MD and she prescribes very minimal amounts of allopathic drugs, so I doubt she gets kickbacks.

I saw a rheumatologist who does mostly out of the box medicine, could not even get me a sample of Celebrex as the sales reps don't visit her.

Now my daughter was seeing an MD while she was in her marriage, and this doctor is HIGH on the list of "favors/gifts" from the drug companies.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-22-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 10:02 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Phew my doctor only took 110 dollars ever.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Though I suspect many people on this board won't believe this, the vast and overwhelming majority of these payments are for legitimate reimbursement of activities promoting education (primarily of physicians), research and, ultimately, patient care. With regards to the docs raking in millions of dollars, I too would be curious as to the background of those payments. I suspect they are individuals who have ownership and investment in one or more medical companies, and yes, I think we can have a healthy debate about the ethics of that type of arrangement.

As an example, I'll use Mr. Dr. Texas Ag 93, who appears on this list with a payment of about $2,500 total for the 3 years listed. On the CMS site, total payments listed for him is under $90. In his case, one set of payment he received was travel and meal reimbursement for flying out of state to an Implant Company's HQ to use their cadaver lab to learn how to use a new joint implant. Now, if you were his patient, would you like him to have full understanding of the equipment he's putting into you, even if it means a $2K "kickback", or would you prefer he just use you as practice?

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-22-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
None of my doctors received more than the value of a pizza every once in a while.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2018, 11:23 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,739 times
You know those free toothpaste, toothbrush, and floss samples you get from your dentist? Those are freely given to the dentist as product samples, so if you take them, you are participating in "kickbacks."

Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
None of my doctors were listed. I'm sure there are some bad apples and I'd like to know about them. However, the data available for public perusal probably has many caveats - I'd like clear explanations for the exceptional cases. I suppose you could ask your doctor outright if you have concerns.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Though I suspect many people on this board won't believe this, the vast and overwhelming majority of these payments are for legitimate reimbursement of activities promoting education (primarily of physicians), research and, ultimately, patient care. With regards to the docs raking in millions of dollars, I too would be curious as to the background of those payments. I suspect they are individuals who have ownership and investment in one or more medical companies, and yes, I think we can have a healthy debate about the ethics of that type of arrangement.

As an example, I'll use Mr. Dr. Texas Ag 93, who appears on this list with a payment of about $2,500 total for the 3 years listed. On the CMS site, total payments listed for him is under $90. In his case, one set of payment he received was travel and meal reimbursement for flying out of state to an Implant Company's HQ to use their cadaver lab to learn how to use a new joint implant. Now, if you were his patient, would you like him to have full understanding of the equipment he's putting into you, even if it means a $2K "kickback", or would you prefer he just use you as practice?
I won't give his name but my fomer doctor gets over $45K from drug companies (one in particular) - just for kicks I checked another Dr. and for yrs. there was minimal <200 Yr. - food

Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM

188 posts, read 202,866 times
The only doctor I found with a large amounts of "payments" (over $2,000) was an OB/GYN I went to briefly. The payments list brand name drugs in the "related to" column and list food and beverage under the "what for" column, with costs ranging from $15 to $200.

I didn't see her for long because she wouldn't stop prescribing super expensive brand name drugs even though I kept insisting that I could only afford generic drugs. Guess she had to push the brand names to make the sales people that were wining and dining her happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness