Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 01:35 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Restricting calories and exercise are how I lost weight in the past. Heck, I restrict my calories now, even with how much I exercise I can't eat anything I please or I would be over weight.
Restricting calories and exercising is still the gold standard of weight loss. Even when people do low carb and are successful it is because they are burning more than they are eating.
At my age the exercise is more for health because like you, exercise alone wont do squat. I simply have to watch my caloric intake AND exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 01:42 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I was responding to SuzyQ's repeated posts emphasizing calorie restricted dieting.
Where did I "emphasize calorie restricted dieting"? I have repeatedly explained that weight loss will only occur if output exceeds input: a net deficit in energy intake. It's governed by the laws of physics.

You can hold input static at any given level and increase activity to create a calorie deficit or you can hold activity static and decrease input to create that deficit.

My recommendation throughout this thread has been to do both. You need a deficit of about 3500 calories to lose a pound. Over one week, that is 500 calories per day. Assuming your weight is stable and not increasing, you can either add 500 calories of exercise per day and not change your diet or you can cut food intake by 500 calories and not change your activity. Splitting that would mean increasing activity by 250 calories and decreasing intake by 250 calories. Note that that does not say anything at all about the number of calories in the diet, which has to be individualized for the patient. The physician can write a diet prescription and send the patient to a nutritionist, who will design an eating plan around the patient's food preferences.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:45 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Where did I "emphasize calorie restricted dieting"? I have repeatedly explained that weight loss will only occur if output exceeds input: a net deficit in energy intake. It's governed by the laws of physics.

You can hold input static at any given level and increase activity to create a calorie deficit or you can hold activity static and decrease input to create that deficit.

My recommendation throughout this thread has been to do both. You need a deficit of about 3500 calories to lose a pound. Over one week, that is 500 calories per day. Assuming your weight is stable and not increasing, you can either add 500 calories of exercise per day and not change your diet or you can cut food intake by 500 calories and not change your activity. Splitting that would mean increasing activity by 250 calories and decreasing intake by 250 calories. Note that that does not say anything at all about the number of calories in the diet, which has to be individualized for the patient. The physician can write a diet prescription and send the patient to a nutritionist, who will design an eating plan around the patient's food preferences.
None of that would be needed if the patient only felt like eating as much as they need. That is what happens when the metabolic system is functioning normally.

I provided links to articles explaining that, but I guess you never looked.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
None of that would be needed if the patient only felt like eating as much as they need. That is what happens when the metabolic system is functioning normally.

People overeat even when they are not hungry. Explain that.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
People overeat even when they are not hungry. Explain that.
I already explained it. Processed food, metabolic syndrome, inactive lifestyle.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
I already explained it. Processed food, metabolic syndrome, inactive lifestyle.
Nonsense....

All obesity is not related to "metabolic syndrome" which is what you are saying....

But I suppose if doctors just told patients not to over eat that would cure everything as well

Old 05-30-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Nonsense....

All obesity is not related to "metabolic syndrome" which is what you are saying....

But I suppose if doctors just told patients not to over eat that would cure everything as well
Not ALL. But very often it is, and this is well known.

And I never said doctors should tell patients not to over eat. That is what they tell them now, and it does no good. As I said.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Not ALL. But very often it is, and this is well known.

And I never said doctors should tell patients not to over eat. That is what they tell them now, and it does no good. As I said.
What would you tell them to do instead? Just not eat "processed food"? A professor of nutrition ate mostly junk food and lost weight.

The problem is not "processed food", it is too much of all types of food.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
What would you tell them to do instead? Just not eat "processed food"? A professor of nutrition ate mostly junk food and lost weight.

The problem is not "processed food", it is too much of all types of food.
I have already explained all that so many times.

You can lose weight by restricting calories, but it will not usually be permanent. I linked articles explaining why.

I said, over and over, that exercise and avoiding processed food will gradually restore the system to health. It will take time, depending on how long you have been eating processed food and not exercising.

When the system is in balance, there are chemicals that tell us when we need food, and when we had enough. No, this does not work perfectly all the time, but it is pretty good.

Overeating makes you feel bad. Our bodies and brains warn us not to. If you are healthy and aware of how your body feels, you will eat approximately the right amount. Maybe you have never experienced this, so you don't believe it is possible.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:33 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:

Quote:
"The brain's weight-regulation system will maintain a stable, healthy weight for most people, she argues, if it's allowed to do its job without interference from dieting and other short-sighted slimming strategies. Her best recommendation: Stop focusing on weight and start concentrating on regular exercise, good food choices and stress reduction instead."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...ts-make-us-fat
Quote:
"Studies suggest that, rather than achieving weight loss, most people who frequently diet end up gaining weight in the long term."

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...eight#section4
Your first "study" was an npr article about a book written by a neuroscientist - unclear what source materials were used - it was just an interview and she was touting her book so not entirely convincing.

The second "study" also doesn't give sources - it's just a compilation of findings. Near the end it says:

However, keep in mind that these observational studies can not prove that dieting causes the weight gain.

People who have a tendency to gain weight are more likely to go on a diet, and this may by the reason why dieting behavior is associated with increased risk of weight gain and obesity.

Given the many studies cited by others, these are quite weak in refuting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness