Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishan_the_finder View Post
Here is another guy.. completely different...

I exercise 7 days a week. :-(. Out of 7 days one day goes to just cardio rest of the days alternate between lifting and push-ups & sit-ups, etc. I am not sure if its a good thing. exercise spans about ~50 mins everyday. I don't go to gym. Its just at home with one dumbell.

People say you should rest for at least 2 days. But if I don't workout, I feel dull and don't feel like eating. Some weird feeling...

I am a vegetarian at ~40. Been working about for the past 15 years. I don't look like a guy with strong muscles.

I feel I may be getting weak or not building muscle because of no resting period.

Thoughts?
It might be because you are a vegetarian and not getting enough protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 08:01 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
If you are not getting muscle definition the weights are too light.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 PM

510 posts, read 370,762 times
The trouble with much medical advice is they recommend the same think for all, and they probably don't have enough time to recognize the unique in each of us.

For very serious things they may recognize our uniqueness. But before that, we usually are told the same advice is perfect for all. Once, I was at some expo or whatever they called it, for various groups to promote something, could be a health thing (table next to guy I was with). We were promoting a hobby, and the table next to us was weight-loss advice.

It was so funny when a person visited the weight-loss table, then went to our hobby table while we were eating a fast food meal. Person wondered why we didn't get the message. We both told them in perfect honesty we could eat however much of we wanted of anything we wanted, and we didn't gain weight. If that's rare, what were the odds of 2 of us being side-by-side?

I'm 66 y/o M weighing 145.2 lbs right after I had dinner, including several glasses of red wine, with water and cranberry juice added, maybe 1/3 of a large chicken, submerged in close to a pint of organic tomato soup, seasoned with onion and garlic, Morton Lite Salt with half the sodium of regular salt and has iodine needed for life, unlike that sea salt they're pushing. Also added black pepper and Paprika. Also had 1/2 cup frozen organic cherries.

I do not think my diet is perfect for me, let alone anyone else. But the things most threatening to my life are things I can't easily control. I have maybe about 20 health problems, going back as far as age 1 (neurological disorder).

It is bad I don't get much exercise but when things not my fault are a bigger threat to my life, I seem to mostly freeze in place, in front of the computer. I'm thinking if non-diet & little exercise works for me, maybe it works for others. If I can make it seem possible, I should probably be writing "Worry more, weigh less"

Old 06-01-2018, 09:31 PM

67 posts, read 167,564 times
For me, I like do at least 25 mins everyday of a combination of walking and running on the treadmill when I have continuous gym access. Otherwise, I try to do this routine 2-4 times per week. I have a thyroid problem and adrenal fatigue - completely unrelated to health issues caused by lack of exercise. Exercise definitely helps with my thyroid issue, as I have underactive thyroid, and working out speeds it up. As for the other medical ailments discussed in this thread, I had high cholesterol when I was NEVER exercising and eating a lot of junk food. So yes, diet plays a role too. Nowadays, I eat healthy - lot of fish, juiced vegetables, etc. I would guess my cholesterol would be pretty low if they were to test it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTJ View Post
The trouble with much medical advice is they recommend the same think for all, and they probably don't have enough time to recognize the unique in each of us.
This too. Genetics can play a large role. My grandma lived to be 101 and she didn't exercise per se (go to a gym and work out), but she lived an active life where she'd help run her and my grandpa's business, travel, attend social functions, etc. She also ate relatively healthy and had 1-2 glasses of wine each evening. My great grandparents also lived pretty long (90's), and they didn't follow any special diet or workout routine.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:19 AM

56 posts, read 37,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yes, rest is necessary for your body to build muscle. It doesn't happen while you're lifting. Your problem is how you are exercising. Pushups, sit-ups, and exercises with one dumbbell are not going to do much. The key to building muscle is increasing the resistance while keeping the reps in the same range. Unless you're doing things like inverted and one-handed pushups, there are only limited ways to increase the resistance. The only reason I would do pushups and sit-ups is if they were part of a fitness test where I needed to attain a certain score.
Hmmm.. thats a bummer. I need to find a way to instill resting period.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:27 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
It might be because you are a vegetarian and not getting enough protein.
Vegetarians can get plenty of protein from legumes, lentils, and beans. Being "vegetarian" is a misnomer as vegetarians should be getting most of their calories from legumes, etc.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:22 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Vegetarians can get plenty of protein from legumes, lentils, and beans. Being "vegetarian" is a misnomer as vegetarians should be getting most of their calories from legumes, etc.
And vegetarian protein powder is a huge market right now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-26-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I guess I continue to be surprised that others are surprised that so many people just plain don't want to exercise. All organisms seek to conserve energy - humans are no different. You can logic them to death but it takes a LOT for people to start to exercise and more for them to keep going. A few people actually like it, once they try it. But for many it is something they really don't like at all but do the minimum they feel they can get away with. Some may find that it helps to add a social or a competitive component.

But basically it takes time, effort, and sometimes money to exercise - I'm surprised as many exercise as they do. Remember, we didn't used to have to - lifestyles have changed greatly in even the last 50 years and we expect people now to immediately make up for it when few of our parents did more than take a leisurely stroll after dinner! If we acknowledge the obstacles we can help people get around them - just telling people what they "should" do is rarely effective.
Quote:
It is NOT true that animals don't like exercise. If you have a dog, you know that it wants to go out and run around, and it wants to take walks.

It is natural to desire exercise. It has always been normal for people to love hiking, long walks on the beach, etc.

However, people have become physically lazy. It is not natural at all. People, and other animals, may adapt to inactivity. Their muscles become weak and their joints become stiff, so exercise becomes unpleasant.
Quote:
Observe nature just a little and you will see that animals naturally want to move. They run, fly, dance, play. Not just out of necessity, also for fun.

Observe young human beings when they go out dancing. They don't want to move? Come on, just look around you.

When music starts playing, notice what happens to 3 year olds -- they can't help dancing!

Your own preference for sitting still most of the time has prevented you from seeing what is obvious.

And I guess you have never seen movies of primitive tribes? They sure like wasting calories.
Ahhhh...new research just out looking at the neurobiology around exercise and the difference between stated attitudes and actual behavior:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/w...e=sectionfront

“To me, these findings would seem to indicate that our brains are innately attracted to being sedentary,” says Matthieu Boisgontier, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, who led the study in conjunction with Boris Cheval at the University of Geneva in Switzerland.

The results make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, Dr. Boisgontier says.

“Conserving energy was necessary” for us as a species in our early days, he says. The fewer calories that atavistic humans burned, the fewer they had to replace at a time when food was not readily available.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:51 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
No, we are not wired to sit. If we were, no one would dance. No one would play golf or tennis, or any other leisure sport.

Being sedentary can become a habit. Your muscles get weak, so of course you don't feel like moving.

Just observe young children if you think we are wired to sit. Yes they get conditioned to sit still in school, and some get addicted to computer games. But it is, very obviously, more natural for children to love active playing.

And hard to believe you have never observed animals that love to run and play.

Last edited by Good4Nothin; 09-26-2018 at 06:00 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
No, we are not wired to sit. If we were, no one would dance. No one would play golf or tennis, or any other leisure sport.

Being sedentary can become a habit. Your muscles get weak, so of course you don't feel like moving.

Just observe young children if you think we are wired to sit. Yes they get conditioned to sit still in school, and some get addicted to computer games. But it is, very obviously, more natural for children to love active playing.

And hard to believe you have never observed animals that love to run and play.
Got a source for that? Other than your observations, that is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness