Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:33 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,396,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes I have seen children and animals play.... and do not agree with your premise.
And you can't say why. You just want to disagree, as usual. Waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have said. Play is an evolutionary method of training for adulthood, not just because humans like to move around. Most animals have a drive to conserve fuel if possible.

Humans, horses, dogs.... all have a tendency to become overweight when given access to an unlimited amount of food, and not purposefully exercised.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-27-2018, 01:08 PM

14,888 posts, read 12,049,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
My default is couch potato. And this idea about not being hungry when your system is in order doesn't work for me. At. All. I'm an addict, I will eat until my stomach is bursting. Even though I know that I'll feel terrible afterwards. (FYI -- my blood work lands right in the middle of all acceptable ranges).

I loved the comment about "You can't out run your fork". Very similar to my own "weight is lost in the kitchen, muscles are built at the gym".

However, I do agree that 'diets' can be a problem. It's lifestyle, change your lifestyle - eat healthier foods, and less of them (calorie-wise). I slowly replaced all the unhealthy foods in my world with healthier options. But I still have to restrict them. I will gladly eat and entire container of nuts, of 17 servings of fruit, or an entire block of cheese. I binge, always have. Even as a very young child, who was never deprived of food.

I don't love exercise, but I do love the results!
Wait till you get to be an old lady and your stomach/ GI tract fights back when you try and stuff it with more food than it wants ( and that gets to be less as you get older). That misery, if nothing else, tends to limit the binging.

I agree with you about the exercise.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:36 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ahhhh...new research just out looking at the neurobiology around exercise and the difference between stated attitudes and actual behavior:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/w...e=sectionfront

“To me, these findings would seem to indicate that our brains are innately attracted to being sedentary,” says Matthieu Boisgontier, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, who led the study in conjunction with Boris Cheval at the University of Geneva in Switzerland.

The results make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, Dr. Boisgontier says.

“Conserving energy was necessary” for us as a species in our early days, he says. The fewer calories that atavistic humans burned, the fewer they had to replace at a time when food was not readily available.
Quote:
No, we are not wired to sit. If we were, no one would dance. No one would play golf or tennis, or any other leisure sport.

Being sedentary can become a habit. Your muscles get weak, so of course you don't feel like moving.

Just observe young children if you think we are wired to sit. Yes they get conditioned to sit still in school, and some get addicted to computer games. But it is, very obviously, more natural for children to love active playing.

And hard to believe you have never observed animals that love to run and play.
Quote:
Got a source for that? Other than your observations, that is...
Quote:
You mean someone had to do a controlled experiment to show the obvious?
Quote:
You're wasting time - you won't even attempt to refute any decent evidence....and you can't say why. You like to opine to hear yourself talk but you can't come up with the goods. Very disappointing for a supposed scholar.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:09 PM

Physical exercise can be fun or boring and unpleasant. The same for mental exercise.

Would you say that people don't like to use their minds, just because we may avoid mental effort?

It's the same thing. Depending on various factors, we like exercise or dislike it or hate it. Similarly for mental effort.

It's really easy to find examples of humans and other animals moving their bodies just because they want to. And it's really easy to find examples of people using their minds because they want to.

So if you were willing to stop and think about this, you would understand.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:30 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:
Ahhhh...new research just out looking at the neurobiology around exercise and the difference between stated attitudes and actual behavior:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/w...e=sectionfront

“To me, these findings would seem to indicate that our brains are innately attracted to being sedentary,” says Matthieu Boisgontier, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada, who led the study in conjunction with Boris Cheval at the University of Geneva in Switzerland.

The results make sense from an evolutionary standpoint, Dr. Boisgontier says.

“Conserving energy was necessary” for us as a species in our early days, he says. The fewer calories that atavistic humans burned, the fewer they had to replace at a time when food was not readily available.
Quote:
Physical exercise can be fun or boring and unpleasant. The same for mental exercise.

Would you say that people don't like to use their minds, just because we may avoid mental effort?

It's the same thing. Depending on various factors, we like exercise or dislike it or hate it. Similarly for mental effort.

It's really easy to find examples of humans and other animals moving their bodies just because they want to. And it's really easy to find examples of people using their minds because they want to.

So if you were willing to stop and think about this, you would understand.
You're not a real research psychologist, are you? I guess you didn't understand my reference....too psychological for you? I was hoping you'd be more knowledgable in that discipline than you are in matters of biology and human physiology.

You can't even comment on it....just stop and think about it. Evolutionarily - it takes effort and is dangerous having to forage for food - you're exposing yourself to predators. If you don't need to move to stay alive, you're not going to do it because you have to eat more food to sustain any movement - it isn't smart. Regardless of what you think is smart for TODAY, there's an evolutionary hurdle to get over that a few thousand years hasn't quieted yet.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
You're not a real research psychologist, are you? I guess you didn't understand my reference....too psychological for you? I was hoping you'd be more knowledgable in that discipline than you are in matters of biology and human physiology.

You can't even comment on it....just stop and think about it. Evolutionarily - it takes effort and is dangerous having to forage for food - you're exposing yourself to predators. If you don't need to move to stay alive, you're not going to do it because you have to eat more food to sustain any movement - it isn't smart. Regardless of what you think is smart for TODAY, there's an evolutionary hurdle to get over that a few thousand years hasn't quieted yet.
Explain why people dance, in just about all cultures ever observed.

Explain why dancing, and many other forms of exercise, make people feel good. Why does exercise raise endorphin levels, if we are supposed to avoid it?

Explain why dogs love to run at the dog park.

You haven't even tried to explain any of those obvious examples.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,201,288 times
Quote:
Explain why people dance, in just about all cultures ever observed.

Explain why dancing, and many other forms of exercise, make people feel good. Why does exercise raise endorphin levels, if we are supposed to avoid it?

Explain why dogs love to run at the dog park.

You haven't even tried to explain any of those obvious examples.
Explain why the majority of people would rather sit on their behinds rather than exercise...

Who ever said "people are supposed to avoid exercise"? Other than you?

Explain why dogs would rather sleep all day if given the option?

You haven't even tried to explain any of these much more obvious and more common example

Old 09-27-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Explain why the majority of people would rather sit on their behinds rather than exercise...

Who ever said "people are supposed to avoid exercise"? Other than you?

Explain why dogs would rather sleep all day if given the option?

You haven't even tried to explain any of these much more obvious and more common example
As I said already, depending on various factors people, and other animals, want to move, or don't want to move.

And, as I said already, depending on various factors people would rather use their minds, or would rather not use their minds.

This is should be the end of the silliness.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:44 PM

48,445 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:

A big 'ol honking "yes!"
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness