Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:16 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,340,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Ray View Post
Everyone always sites surgery even though there is the obvious fact that the American diet sucks. Even the so called "healthy foods" are processed. Thats why people in countries with no tooth brushes still have beautiful teeth and we are filled with cavities and the list goes on and on. If you want to avoid surgery these days you have to grow your own food. Take the vitamins....they work!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course, maybe its eaier to keep eating trash and have someone put a laser on you. Sheesh.
sorry to butt in....

but this is just not true. Stretch marks have nothing to do with diet, and they cant be fixed with vitamins. It's just not possible. As someone else mentioned they are damaged tissue. To say to people that their diet sucks and if only they grew their own food and took vitamins they would not have stretch marks or could fix them is just ridiculous....and mean spirited, not to mention wholly wrong. Stretch marks are a fact of life....to some more than others based on genetics and rapid weight gain or loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
sorry to butt in....

but this is just not true. Stretch marks have nothing to do with diet, and they cant be fixed with vitamins. It's just not possible. As someone else mentioned they are damaged tissue. To say to people that their diet sucks and if only they grew their own food and took vitamins they would not have stretch marks or could fix them is just ridiculous....and mean spirited, not to mention wholly wrong. Stretch marks are a fact of life....to some more than others based on genetics and rapid weight gain or loss.
I agree with this. I had three kids, and never had a single stretch mark! My babies were all huge too, the last 10 lbs, and I had excess amniotic fluid. I was as big as a barrel! The only thing keeping me from getting stretch marks was genetics, I'm sure. But don't hate me for not getting stretch marks, because I've got one flabby belly instead.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,677 times
Default Stretch marks- found something that works

Hi ,
I have always had pretty bad stretch marks around my belly region ever since I gave birth to my three kids.I had tried Vitamin E oil and cocoa butter which a number of people had recommended but it didn't seem to work. My Doctor had even suggested a Tummy Tuck. I then recently read an article about a lady who supposedly got rid of her stretch marks using a particular cream. I tried it and it worked really well. My stretch marks disappeared in 3 weeks. Just thought I would share this with everyone. You can read the lady's article at the link below.

Stretch Marks - They Can Be Treated

Old 05-20-2008, 02:00 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The best thing I've found that eases stretch marks -- which basically are scars -- is Vitamin E oil. Slather it on straight, or mix it in with your regular moisturizer. It takes awhile, so be patient, but your skin will tighten and the appearance of the stretch marks will diminish.

Drink lots of water, too.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
thanks for all the responses sorry i wasnt able to say that earlier i have been busy

Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM

204 posts, read 1,484,762 times
bleh. i was not pointing my finger saying YOU specifically have a sucky diet. the american diet sucks. and yeah eating home grown and the vitamins eliminated all of my stretch marks. My mom had six kids and she doesnt have one stretch mark. she grew up on a farm eating everything natural. my sister has one kid and she has stretch marks. a lot of people do, but its more diet than it is genetics.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM

874 posts, read 3,678,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Cocoa Butter
It all really depends on your skin type. During my pregnancy,i used Cocoa Butter religiously to avoid the stretch marks....unfortunately..after 8 years..I've resorted to look like Tony the Tiger.. not cute.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
i just realized a few weeks ago that my stretch marks are starting to lose their color it has gone from bright red to light pink all 4 months. is that normal? or is it like a cycle that will return in winter?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Get yourself some "scar ease" now. Red and pink ones are the easiest to shrink.
They eventually turn to the same color as your skin and blend in.

Diet does affect your health and the skin will show it in various ways. If you are prone to strech marks already genetically, poor nutrition or excess in sodium will help to make the marks heavier and more of them. Low potassium can be a cause. If you eat a lot of salty foods it will cause you body to dump potassium making you more prone to marks.
Also poor nutrition will affect how the body recovers/reacts to trauma.

So you cant put all the blame on mom

Old 07-22-2008, 07:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Get yourself some "scar ease" now. Red and pink ones are the easiest to shrink.
They eventually turn to the same color as your skin and blend in.

Diet does affect your health and the skin will show it in various ways. If you are prone to strech marks already genetically, poor nutrition or excess in sodium will help to make the marks heavier and more of them. Low potassium can be a cause. If you eat a lot of salty foods it will cause you body to dump potassium making you more prone to marks.
Also poor nutrition will affect how the body recovers/reacts to trauma.

So you cant put all the blame on mom
I am not aware of a causal link between low potassium and stretch marks, the two conditions can travel together in some adrenal disorders however...Cushing's Syndrome for example

Not sure where you are getting your info from but ingesting too much sodium does not lead to dumping of potassium...diuretics can lead to potassium loss but not increases in salt intake..

While potassium can be lost from intracellular stores through tissue injury like cuts and burns, I am not aware of any direct link between low potassium stores and stretch marks....potassium is especially important though in muscle repair but not so much in skin....

You are correct in general poor nutrition, particularly low protein will certainly affect how wounds/trauma heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness