Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,034 times

Advertisements

I slipped and fell on patch of ice walking my daughter to school. I broken my third distal tibia n fibula bone Feb6 i had surgery the 7 n recently relocated from city n moved 244 miles south i have been having the hardest times with the doctors here in the south all they speak of is pain meds. i have had no pt it is going on 3months the 7 of may and i am in so much pain still. I have long metal rod n screw under knee n three screws in bottom ankle. my knee is giving me so much pain n i am afraid to speak of pain meds the way i was treated my last visit at the ortho so i been taking lots of tylenol pm n ibuprofen u name it. the last visit they took no x ray gave me percocet n spoke as if that was my last script i have reinjured my leg from walking b4 time havent told dr cause of the mis treatment about the meds so tell the im n pain for what. i am afraid i have done more damage i am in so much pain n i am not getting the proper treatment. what to do HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,034 times
forgot to mention that the doctors here told me to stay off leg n the doctor n maryland told me to move as much as possible. so i basically been doing both for one i have kids they gave me the big boot which give me swelling n more pain i keep leg elevated as much as possible the doctor here said i have about 8 mre months of healing b4 fully healed.. man what do ? need help in lots of pain.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
I broke my fibula and tore all the tendons. I have a plate and a bunch of screws. It takes a while to heal. I had pain and swelling for a year after the surgery. If you have been on pain meds for 3 months since you broke it, you probably need to wean yourself off of the pain meds...start taking half a pill instead of a whole pill and seeing if you can go longer between pills. You may feel pretty nasty while you're doing that, nausea, headache, that kind of thing, but you don't want to get addicted to the pain pills. The pain you have now is most likely nothing like the pain right after your surgery, so keep in mind that you've had worse pain and survived it. You can get through this too.

Once I was done with the pain pills, I took Aleve or ibuprofen. It took 800mg of ibuprofen to take care of the pain. I could only walk a short distance at first and my foot would cramp up and my toes would roll under and I'd have to pry them back to their normal place. I got plantar fasciitis in my other foot from putting most of my weight on that one.

Have you asked the doctor about physical therapy? Maybe if you tell them you don't want pain meds, you want physical therapy so you can get your leg working the right way again, then they'll help you more. Or call your insurance company and tell them you want physical therapy and do you need a referral from the doctor to have it. Then call the doctor's office and tell the nurse that your insurance needs a referral so you can have physical therapy. (I didn't have insurance when I broke my leg so PT was not an option, they just showed me a few exercises and said not to come back unless I broke it again.)

Is your pain better walking with a cane or a walker? I had to use a walker at first because my leg felt like it would buckle. You don't want to use the walker forever but to get you started it's not a bad thing. I think for me it was mostly a fear thing, I was terrified to fall down and break it again.

As far as exercise you can do yourself, swimming is not going to be a comfortable thing for your leg for a while, probably. A recumbent exercise bike would be good, and eventually a regular bike to ride around your neighborhood. You could find a recumbent exercise bike on Craigslist pretty cheap, just put it in front of the tv, and do as much as your leg can handle, working up to a little bit more each day.

It takes a while to get better. Give yourself time. And find a different doctor if yours won't listen. If you liked the doctor you had before you moved, call him up and ask who he would recommend where you live now.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:01 AM

3 posts, read 6,836 times
Default pain

Is there a reason you're so afraid of the meds? I know there's been a lot of negative press about them lately, but do you realize that the Ibuprofen and Tylenol you've been taking are many times worse for your body than a true pain med would be...not to mention far less effective in dealing with the issue, the pain....There have been studies done that prove that patients in pain heal far more slowly than those whose pain is controlled. If you're worried about addiction, admittedly, it is a risk, but with proper use and supervision even that can be minimized. Just something to think about ....I live with pain every day of my life, even with the meds, but they make the levels more tolerable and give me just a bit of my old life before my injuries back. Maybe they can help you too....

Old 05-28-2018, 10:40 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
People think taking OTC medication is better when it is actually NOT. It has been known to mess with the stomach and cause MORE problems. People tend to eat a lot of OTC meds thinking it's ok when it is NOT.

I belong to a group online (Twitter) and we are chronic pain patients. We now have a following of doctors who are supporting us and our cause. Pain meds are NOT the enemy IF taken properly. I've been on Fentanyl (No- not the illegal Fentanyl that is killing all of these people) but the Fentanyl prescribed by doctors. Been on the patch for over 10 yrs now. I do not drink - or take a bunch of other pain meds. I see a wonderful pain mgmt doctor in Torrance, CA

Be careful with OTC stuff. Ibuprofen can cause many issues w/ stomach. Get good medical advice by a physician.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:46 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
Zombie Thread Alert... this tattered thing is 4 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Get good medical advice by a physician.

Behind all the preachy-preachy, this is the only thing of importance. Don't take medical advice from someone who posted on some internet forum/social media platform where all you have to do is sign up and post....

Old 05-28-2018, 10:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
People think taking OTC medication is better when it is actually NOT. It has been known to mess with the stomach and cause MORE problems. People tend to eat a lot of OTC meds thinking it's ok when it is NOT.

I belong to a group online (Twitter) and we are chronic pain patients. We now have a following of doctors who are supporting us and our cause. Pain meds are NOT the enemy IF taken properly. I've been on Fentanyl (No- not the illegal Fentanyl that is killing all of these people) but the Fentanyl prescribed by doctors. Been on the patch for over 10 yrs now. I do not drink - or take a bunch of other pain meds. I see a wonderful pain mgmt doctor in Torrance, CA

Be careful with OTC stuff. Ibuprofen can cause many issues w/ stomach. Get good medical advice by a physician.
I've heard enough negatives about Fentanyl so I never went there. Feel about it as I do opioids. Yes I'm aware of the OTC possible problems, but I take as low a dose I can work with every 6-7 hrs and always with food, and am never out of total pain. But manageable. I've found a supplement that works pretty well too for pain and take it daily ... it's a cox 2 inhibitor. I have a nice friend who has major OA and she can't take any pain meds, I don't know how she manages.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Zombie Thread Alert... this tattered thing is 4 years old

Behind all the preachy-preachy, this is the only thing of importance. Don't take medical advice from someone who posted on some internet forum/social media platform where all you have to do is sign up and post....
What's the problem. THere is a lot of good info here, no matter how old it is. Pain has been around a Long Time.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:08 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_m View Post
zombie thread alert... This tattered thing is 4 years old

behind all the preachy-preachy, this is the only thing of importance. don't take medical advice from someone who posted on some internet forum/social media platform where all you have to do is sign up and post....
+1.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:53 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
Who is giving out MEDICAL ADVICE?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness