Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 05:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

I did not have a successful one in 2010. Talk to plenty of others on forums and hear their stories. I've talked to some with good outcomes but there are plenty of those who have not done well. Some here believe there is nothing like them, they are the only answer and all good results. I'd love to hear from others here positive/negative etc. Have any members here had a THR?
Or stories of family members and friends.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-11-2018 at 06:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Interpretation — Patient satisfaction is high following fast-track THR and TKR, with scores ranging from 8.5 to 10 on the NRS.
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...4.2015.1063910

More than 90 % of the patients will be satisfied 1 year after TJR. THA patients recover faster than TKA patients, i.e., they achieve higher PROM values at earlier follow-up time points. https://link.springer.com/article/10...136-015-1042-3

We conducted a prospective multicenter study in which outcome-related expectations of 236 primary total hip arthroplasty patients were determined. Clinical surveys and radiographs were used to determine the relationship between postoperative level of patient satisfaction and patient-reported and radiographic outcomes. At 1 year, 82.6% of expectations were achieved, most of the time with high satisfaction (89.3%).
http://www.dl.begellhouse.com/journa...7411a352f.html

Both THA/TKA displayed significant improvement of WOMAC function at 3 months but TKA had greater improvement. Age, body mass index, residence, education and social support were not significant predictors of quality of life after total joint arthroplasty. One year postoperatively 88 % of patients were satisfied.
https://bmcmusculoskeletdisord.biome...891-015-0814-9

Results

At a follow-up of 13.5 (12.6–14.2) years, the median VAS for satisfaction was 95 (26–100) compared to a median VAS satisfaction of 98 (0–100) at earlier follow-up (p = 0.781). Overall, the clinical outcome parameters also remained good at long-term follow-up without significant changes. However, a rather low correlation with VAS satisfaction was encountered. Pain during activity showed the highest correlation (− 0.686) with VAS satisfaction.

Conclusion

Patient satisfaction after THA remains high after prolonged follow-up
https://link.springer.com/article/10...590-018-2243-6

Postoperatively at 2 years, the most satisfied postoperative patients were those who underwent THA (91.9 %)
https://link.springer.com/article/10...590-015-1635-0

Old 06-11-2018, 07:00 PM

I'm looking for stories from members here not links etc. I've been on forums for about 7 yrs so I've read plenty.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,922,222 times
We just return from helping a family member out after she had a hip replacement, she sailed thru the actual operation well but had a horrible reaction to the bandage they put over the incision. Just saying this as a heads up (to those considering the operation) if you are aware of any sensitivity to be aware this could happen and take precautions.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
We just return from helping a family member out after she had a hip replacement, she sailed thru the actual operation well but had a horrible reaction to the bandage they put over the incision. Just saying this as a heads up (to those considering the operation) if you are aware of any sensitivity to be aware this could happen and take precautions.
I too sailed thru the surgery and into about 5 months and then it went downhill for me. So many things can go wrong and one is fortunate for things to go so well. Thanks for your comments.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 PM

993 posts, read 766,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I did not have a successful one in 2010. Talk to plenty of others on forums and hear their stories. I've talked to some with good outcomes but there are plenty of those who have not done well. Some here believe there is nothing like them, they are the only answer and all good results. I'd love to hear from others here positive/negative etc. Have any members here had a THR?
Or stories of family members and friends.
My husband had two hip replacements, 10 years apart.....2004 and 2014....different hips. He was 53 with his first one, 63 with the second one. In his case, there was no alternative treatment. He had a congenital malformation of each hip. Plus years of running didn’t help.

He was in so much pain before the first HR that he was in a wheelchair the last month. There was no way he could live with that pain much longer. With the second hip replacement, he recognized that particular pain and had the HR done before it became torturous.

Both hip replacements went well with zero problems. He’s grateful for the results. That said....my husband is a disciplined man. He did everything the doc and physical therapist to.d him to do. The exercises before surgery and after surgery. He never missed a day. Never cancelled a PT appt. The doctor thinks this is one reason he had an excellent outcome both times. But who knows? I know others who followed all the directions and the outcome wasn't so great.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
My husband had two hip replacements, 10 years apart.....2004 and 2014....different hips. He was 53 with his first one, 63 with the second one. In his case, there was no alternative treatment. He had a congenital malformation of each hip. Plus years of running didn’t help.

He was in so much pain before the first HR that he was in a wheelchair the last month. There was no way he could live with that pain much longer. With the second hip replacement, he recognized that particular pain and had the HR done before it became torturous.

Both hip replacements went well with zero problems. He’s grateful for the results. That said....my husband is a disciplined man. He did everything the doc and physical therapist to.d him to do. The exercises before surgery and after surgery. He never missed a day. Never cancelled a PT appt. The doctor thinks this is one reason he had an excellent outcome both times. But who knows? I know others who followed all the directions and the outcome wasn't so great.
I too did all the PT and as I said all was good for first 5 months, I was so happy. Then...boom.. Found down the road a shorter leg outcome was messing me up, I didn't know this for a long while, when one does this the first time we don't know what to expect. In the healing process maybe everything seems normal.

I was 72 and I know they are doing them a lot younger these days and so maybe the younger folks do better overall. I deal with back OA too and it's all worse since the replacement. Live and learning. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Play tennis with 2 ladies who have had them.

One of them required a revision.

You'd never know.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Play tennis with 2 ladies who have had them.

One of them required a revision.

You'd never know.
Are they younger? I do hear of those who play tennis after a THR.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:52 PM

993 posts, read 766,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I too did all the PT and as I said all was good for first 5 months, I was so happy. Then...boom.. Found down the road a shorter leg outcome was messing me up, I didn't know this for a long while, when one does this the first time we don't know what to expect. In the healing process maybe everything seems normal.

I was 72 and I know they are doing them a lot younger these days and so maybe the younger folks do better overall. I deal with back OA too and it's all worse since the replacement. Live and learning. Thanks.
I’m sorry you’re going through that. My husband does feel lucky after some of the stories he's heard from others. And yes, after I posted my response I wondered if his younger age had something to do with the outcome.

I don’t know what we would’ve done if hip replacements weren’t available. He was in so much pain and there was no relief for it. Painkillers, steroid injections...nothing helped after a certain point.

I was chatting with a neighbor in her late 90s when my husband was going through the first replacement. I asked her what people did for this kind of chronic intense pain years ago when there was no treatment. She matter of factly said people would commit suicide if it was bad enough. She said it didn’t happen often. But people understood. That always stuck with me for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness