Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 08:19 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
My husband used a sunblock that made his skin blister. He thought it was sunburn so put more on and ended up in the Emergency Room. He was allergic to the sunblock! Perhaps you are allergic to yours.

Try your sunblock on one small area and see if you have a reaction with no sun exposure.
Good comment, I'd buy a product in health food store or online supplier that is chemical free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:15 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Good comment, I'd buy a product in health food store or online supplier that is chemical free.
There is no sunscreen that is chemical free.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:16 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,452,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yes, buy a sun block product in a health food store. They don't contain so many potentially harmful ingredients. Also there are clothes that are supposed to block the sun, special hats, for instance.

A few examples here:

https://www.familycircle.com/health/.../upf-clothing/

Old 06-15-2018, 09:22 PM

48,302 posts, read 34,433,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lands End has a nice selection of things they call rash guards, which seems like an unattractive name for cute long sleeved microfiber shirts that block out the uv rays. I got something similar for my baby granddaughter which blocks 100% of harmful rays.

https://www.landsend.com/shop/womens...67_55712554683
Yep, we wear those for water sports (they actually prevent rashes from surf boards and stuff).

Good point about the meds, I actually got pink from having my sunroof open when taking antibiotics.

Covering up is your only option if you were wearing a UVA/UVB sunscreen and got burnt. If we are going to be on the water I wear zinc sunscreen which looks horrible on those of us who are darker skinned (it turns you white), but it works. Try and look for a sun BLOCK.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,573,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Yes, buy a sun block product in a health food store. They don't contain so many potentially harmful ingredients. Also there are clothes that are supposed to block the sun, special hats, for instance.

A few examples here:

https://www.familycircle.com/health/.../upf-clothing/
Yes, there are many products that are much more organic in nature.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,603,272 times
Any sporting goids store will have rash guard shirts and hats. Find some before the sale.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:25 AM

829 posts, read 756,084 times
Wear a wide-brimmed, straw or other material, hat . . . & long sleeves & dress/pants.

Make some fresh Aloe vera gel, and put it all over your skin, whether you'll be covered or not. It's great on burns!

It should feel great, as it has natural pain reliever in it, among other things.

Plus it seems to protect against burning, at least for me. (:

Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,735,973 times
I get blisters from sunscreen. First they're hot and painful, then they turn into a hellish itch that makes me scratch my face bloody in my sleep. The blisters and itch last a month, then the skin peels off. The only way to shorten the duration of my symptoms or get any relief is to get a prescription for steroid pills. This happens to me with every chemical sunscreen. It began after several years of using spf 110 sunscreen a couple times a day, every time I went out to ride my bike.

I saw a mention above that every sunscreen contains chemicals. That's true, but there are two types of sunscreen...chemical or physical blocking. I can use the physical blocking sunscreens, which typically contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, as long as I'm not allergic to any of the other ingredients in the sunscreen. The brands I have found to be safe for me are some varieties of Badger, Vanicream sunscreen, California Baby, and one variety of HEB generic sunscreen. I always test a small patch on the back of my hand 24 hours before I put it on my face...learned that one the hard way.

I also use a hat and long sleeves, but still need sunscreen on the back of my hands, my chest, and the tops of my feet if I'm wearing sandals.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:12 AM

15,199 posts, read 10,176,724 times
I remember hearing on the news that anything about SPF 45 is not doing anything. OP while your bottle of sunscreen says good until June of 2019 how long has it been opened? I also read that they should be replaced after a year.

Hawaii is banning sunscreen that contains a certain chemical, Florida is considering it also. If I were you I would try a more organic sunscreen, wear long sleeves and a wide brimmed hat.

Old 06-16-2018, 07:30 AM

486 posts, read 986,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
It was 75 F and the RH was 70% so technically humid

Not so humid for around here though because the area I was working at was right off Lake Erie.

I'll have to wear thicker sleeves this time I guess and pick up a hat. Sheesh, I should borrow a sheet and cut eyeholes in it...
Was it windy? I got a really bad wind burn on the back of my legs one time when I was on an Oregon beach (it was cloudy, not very hot, but very windy). I don't really use sunscreen because I hate the smell of most sunscreens (gives me migraines). I use Oil of Olay on my face SPF 15.

Like you, I don't tan, I have lots of freckles and I am at home in Irish bog country (cold, grey overcast skies). Now that I am old, I usually cover up when I go into the sun for long periods of time. I very rarely wear sleeveless shirts, and I always wear a hat and sunglasses.

Last year, this weird wart showed up on my shoulder, probably from years of sun exposure. I said NO MORE sun for me. Now I cover up as much as I can.

Your comment about borrowing a sheet and cutting eyeholes in it made me laugh. So true...so true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness