Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 02:21 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted to your question. Would you like to deal with the red tape, etc for your prescriptions?
...Or the frequent question in your mind: Will I be able to get the medicine I need next month that makes me able to live a decent quality of life? If your response to that is something like "just deal with it", you obviously have never experienced something like this and probably shouldn't talk about stuff that you have no experience with. Walk a mile in our shoes first. Your answers (to the person to whom KCZ replied in this post) will then be neither presumptuous or condescending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My point is I guess, I wonder what issues so many have here that need opioids...I have always been under the impression that these hard pain meds are for the really tough issues. Didn't realize so many here are in such pain.
I understand what you're saying. Yet people have different tolerances for pain. I actually have a rather high tolerance for pain. The issue I'm talking about are anti-anxiety meds like the Xanax I take very infrequently. I don't recall the last time I took it, probably at least over a month ago; it's actually getting to a point where I can pretty much go without and I'm not stressed anymore about whether I can get a renewed prescription for it every 6 months. Yet I still remember when I was dealing with a lot of stress in my life how much it helped me get to sleep. And it's the most frustrating thing in the world to me (hyperbole of course, there's many things more frustrating) to have go through such a hassle to get a very good-working medication because of other people who've ruined it for everyone else who uses these medications appropriately for good purposes.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times
Definitely a small part or so of the war on pain killers can be seen as a war on pain relief. The guv bureaucrats want to get the number of pills being consumed down and the people who have legitimate pain get cut off as well. I don't know if it applies to people who have taken them for moderate or severe pain over a long period of time.

I had pain from dental work in the past. My request for Tylenol 3 was turned down and I was given 800mg pills of Motrin instead. The Motrin did work sufficiently.

What needs to be invented is pain medicine that works as good as the opiates without being an actual opiate.

Note: I didn't read the thread.

Last edited by curiousgeorge5; 06-18-2018 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 06-18-2018, 03:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yellowsnow: Why do you think you will be denied IF you need them in the future. I don't believe they are being denied from those who need them. If and I hope I don't go for TKR, they will give me them for post op pain. Which I'll have to go thru the misery of them on the rest of my body functions.

I went thru pain pill addiction with a loved one and she lost her husband and her children for 13 months while in rehab. She also lost her hearing ... so I work with all I can to reduce my overall bodypain that is with me all the time.
I already KNOW I will be denied. It's not just conjecture on my part. I had some dental work done almost a year ago. It was very painful and one side of my face looked like I had been beaten. I asked for 2 pain pills and they refused. 2... They acted offended like I was going to take my 2 pills and fuel a world wide opiate addiction. 10 years ago I would have walked out that door with a prescription for 30 pills.

I am not sure about the regulations but I am positive things have changed. It's now become a discriminatory practice as well. Going back to my dental work, first I went to my regular dentist and she was all booked up. So they made me an appointment with another of their offices. I was in the first office and it looked like it always had, no changes. The other office was in a poorer part of town. When I went in they had signs all over the place saying they would never under any conditions write a pain prescription for anyone. Of course I had to ask why and they said their office was in an area where prescription drugs were often abused. Probably code for poor and ethnic.

Well, I was in pain so I had the work done and sure enough, no pain meds under any circumstances. I texted my own dentist and told her I was very upset about this. Luckily I have a small stash of real pain meds and I used exactly 2 pills so I could get some rest and heal. After that the pain was manageable. Ever since I had this experience, I collect pain pills whenever I have the opportunity.

And everyone needs to know, if you are poor, it's less likely you will get the meds you need. You will be discriminated against if you use practitioners in a poor area. It is now your fault(and YOU should suffer) that people in your area have been known to abuse drugs. Somehow I would bet rich patients don't have these problems.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:54 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I can only share my experience with Percocet (I think), which I received for an acute injury to my back. It didn't stop the pain. It simply took me so far down that I didn't care about it. That was about 40 years ago. I could easily have become addicted, if in fact I wasn't already addicted, after a couple of weeks.

Today, I live with chronic back pain by being physically active (climbing and hiking/trekking), where physical exhaustion is fortunately a bigger issue that I have to take care of at 75.

I guess I'm lucky.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I already KNOW I will be denied. It's not just conjecture on my part. I had some dental work done almost a year ago. It was very painful and one side of my face looked like I had been beaten. I asked for 2 pain pills and they refused. 2... They acted offended like I was going to take my 2 pills and fuel a world wide opiate addiction. 10 years ago I would have walked out that door with a prescription for 30 pills.

I am not sure about the regulations but I am positive things have changed. It's now become a discriminatory practice as well. Going back to my dental work, first I went to my regular dentist and she was all booked up. So they made me an appointment with another of their offices. I was in the first office and it looked like it always had, no changes. The other office was in a poorer part of town. When I went in they had signs all over the place saying they would never under any conditions write a pain prescription for anyone. Of course I had to ask why and they said their office was in an area where prescription drugs were often abused. Probably code for poor and ethnic.

Well, I was in pain so I had the work done and sure enough, no pain meds under any circumstances. I texted my own dentist and told her I was very upset about this. Luckily I have a small stash of real pain meds and I used exactly 2 pills so I could get some rest and heal. After that the pain was manageable. Ever since I had this experience, I collect pain pills whenever I have the opportunity.

And everyone needs to know, if you are poor, it's less likely you will get the meds you need. You will be discriminated against if you use practitioners in a poor area. It is now your fault(and YOU should suffer) that people in your area have been known to abuse drugs. Somehow I would bet rich patients don't have these problems.
And there may be some people who wonder how I can I hate drug addicts so much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I can only share my experience with Percocet (I think), which I received for an acute injury to my back. It didn't stop the pain. It simply took me so far down that I didn't care about it. That was about 40 years ago. I could easily have become addicted, if in fact I wasn't already addicted, after a couple of weeks.

Today, I live with chronic back pain by being physically active (climbing and hiking/trekking), where physical exhaustion is fortunately a bigger issue that I have to take care of at 75.
Some people have addictive personalities. Some people do not. The people who do not should not be punished (in quite a bad way by taking away their ability to have a better quality of life for some dumb*** decisions by some people; that's really irritating. I better stop before I go off on a rant) for the people who do.

I don't have an addictive personality. I was prescribed #30 Tylenol 3 after I had my tubes tied for the incision pain. It worked great! I used maybe 8 of them. One was for a migraine I had which was right after the time I was prescribed it. It worked great! I still have the 20 or so that are left. I'm terrified to use them though because if the company I worked for ran a drug test and I was found to be using an expired prescription medication, I could (and most likely would) get fired.

My family has a history of kidney problems. I take an Aleve or Excedrin nearly every day (headache, back problems, stomach cramps. Works real well). Would be nice if I could take the Tylenol 3 sometimes to give some space between all those NSAIDS that may eventually cause me kidney problems. Too bad I can't ask my doctor to give me some to take maybe 2 or 3 times a week in order to avoid a very real risk without being looked at as a drug abuser. Chronic kidney failure is no fun. In order to avoid dialysis you really have to be careful with your diet. That's not something I'm going to do if (when probably) it happens. Drug addicts/abuser suck and really can ruin people's lives. Hopefully I'll be fine taking all those NSAIDS and I won't have problems with my kidneys. But like I said it is a risk with my father and sister both having kidney problems.

Last edited by Basiliximab; 06-18-2018 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-18-2018, 05:46 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
The distinction between opiates as 'medicine that relieves pain' and 'drugs that get you high' is like the difference between flowers and weeds; there really is no difference.
It simply depends on who you ask.

Isn't it time we stopped this silly charade and turned the FDA into an ADVISORY committee?
Adults in a free society should to be able to choose what they ingest, and when, and how.
That would solve multiple problems with a single blow.

But just based on the moralizing and pontificating in this thread, that ain't happening soon.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Sorry you didn't get the answer you wanted to your question. Would you like to deal with the red tape, etc for your prescriptions?
I'm a grown up. I can see that I am ultimately getting what I need. So, I'm good.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:04 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I'm a grown up. I can see that I am ultimately getting what I need. So, I'm good.
My son wasn't good when he cracked a wisdom tooth and had to wait three days to have it removed. I guess his dentist couldn't do it or had to get home for dinner on time on Friday. No pain medication.

He managed to drive to my house where I watched him sweat and vomit for two days. No one should have to go through that.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:17 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son wasn't good when he cracked a wisdom tooth and had to wait three days to have it removed. I guess his dentist couldn't do it or had to get home for dinner on time on Friday. No pain medication.

He managed to drive to my house where I watched him sweat and vomit for two days. No one should have to go through that.
Exactly. That's insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness