Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 02:55 PM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I guess the whole rest of the world is somehow missing the wonders of opiates and the citizens are writhing in pain.
They may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I understand how it happened here and personally I am glad that Big Pharma got slapped with law suits and found liable regarding pushing opiates and misleading doctors on the dangers of addiction.

My point though is that other countries - other civilized first world countries - do not have the opiate addiction levels that we have BECAUSE those drugs are not prescribed as often there as they are here. We need to find out what they are doing right because we're doing something wrong.

And I haven't even addressed the phenomenon of opioid-induced hyperalgesia. In a nutshell -
Differential Opioid Tolerance and Opioid-induced Hyperalgesia:A Clinical Reality | Anesthesiology | ASA Publications

Great - that's all someone with chronic pain needs. And yet, this is a very real risk doctors and patients face when prescribing or taking opiates for pain relief.

Also, 49 percent - forty nine percent! - of patients with chronic pain continue to report severe pain while taking opiates.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3960717/
Yes, as I said, my Percosets brought my pain level down from 10/10 to about 7 or 8/10. I was still suffering, but as I said, not quite so much that I wanted to jump out the window. They kept me alive. If the surgery hadn't worked, yes, I'd still need them, but yes, I would still be in pain. But I'd be able to wash my hair, to talk to someone on the phone for a few minutes, to get in or out of a car. You don't think these things are important?? You think if they only bring pain levels down enough that a person can function versus making the pain disappear totally that they aren't worth it?? Who are YOU to even say that??? You're not the one suffering.

The lack of compassion and ability to feel empathy that seems apparent in your posts on this thread is just mind blowing.

Also you assume everyone in those countries is fine without opiates, but you do not know that. There may be groups fighting to increase access to opiods right now for all you know. These countries may have higher suicide rates among pain patients. You're saying they are doing something right that we should emulate but you really don't know what the effects of the restrictions are. Oh, right, YOU don't care what the effects are, because you don't have pain..

Old 09-10-2018, 03:56 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Also..... in Canada, the UK and I imagine other countries, mild opiates are available over the counter or from the pharmacist without a prescription..... something equivalent to a Tylenol 2 or so.....

Old 09-10-2018, 06:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
Dear txbullsfan;
You had me at your title. Yes, chronic pain sufferers are under attack from our federal government, state government, and citizens who love to ride a bandwagon.
I am a chronic pain sufferer via DDD. I've had pain I can remember since 2005, but wasn't diagnosed until 2013. I misdiagnosed myself with sciatica. My online look-ups resulted with corrective surgery being classified as elective, so why bother? Asking for pain medicine didn't even occur to me.
The pain got worse and expanded to new areas. Finally went for x-rays Nov. 2013, got my diagnosis, was given an appt with a physical therapist. She had a thick German accent and threw my pain diagram on the floor. What a *****! I'm thinking. Already I see contempt for me from her. She told me getting down on my knees on all fours and arching my back would relieve 60% of my pain. I couldn't stomach any more drivel. I shook my head and left. The medical community was either doddy and deluded, or deliberately diminishing people's pain.
It has been five years since my diagnosis. I am getting worse, so bad I'm scared of what's next. I was told by a nurse back in 2013 I would be in a wheelchair within five years. I was told to keep moving, be active. I have done this. I've done w/out pain relief. I came across some Vics last week, took two a day, and thought I had broken through the pain barrier. You know what that is right? This place where you push yourself so hard you feel you're going to die, but you're pain is lessened from that point forward. I had not broken through the pain barrier. It was the pain medicine. The difference between normal functioning and functioning with pain relief is so stark it makes me cry. I can't do it anymore by myself. I'm trying to stay out of a wheelchair. I'll be damned if I'm going to be met with resistance to this objective.
I've tried CBD oil. Big whoop. Yes, there is a lessening of pain. You have to take more about every two hours.
My daughters father died from liver complications. He had DDD too. He took NSAIDS for two years before he received a scrip for narcotics.The NSAIDS corroded his liver. Where's the public outcry about people dying from NSAID's when they should have prescriptions?
DDD is in your vertebrae, it's a bone disease. I have come to find out that anything involving one's skeletal system is a mother...... as far as pain goes. I have a new pain in the back of my neck, and it makes a sickening 'crack' noise when I turn my head, like my neck is being broken.
I'm not going to let myself be handled anymore. I'm fighting for what I need.
I'm with ya! Find a good Orthopedic doctor OR a good Neurologist, get diagnosed and the meds should be a no brainer.

My last Ortho I saw while in my 40's told me after looking at my films, "I've got good news and bad news". I said "what's the bad" and he said "you've got the spine of a 70 year old". After a heartbeat he said "the good news is we'll all catch up to you if YOU live long enough". True story!
You've got to find a good doc, it may require some surgery which may help for years or, not at all it's a crap shoot. Either way they'll take your pain seriously once they see your films...

Old 09-10-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, as I said, my Percosets brought my pain level down from 10/10 to about 7 or 8/10. I was still suffering, but as I said, not quite so much that I wanted to jump out the window. They kept me alive. If the surgery hadn't worked, yes, I'd still need them, but yes, I would still be in pain. But I'd be able to wash my hair, to talk to someone on the phone for a few minutes, to get in or out of a car. You don't think these things are important?? You think if they only bring pain levels down enough that a person can function versus making the pain disappear totally that they aren't worth it?? Who are YOU to even say that??? You're not the one suffering.

The lack of compassion and ability to feel empathy that seems apparent in your posts on this thread is just mind blowing.

Also you assume everyone in those countries is fine without opiates, but you do not know that. There may be groups fighting to increase access to opiods right now for all you know. These countries may have higher suicide rates among pain patients. You're saying they are doing something right that we should emulate but you really don't know what the effects of the restrictions are. Oh, right, YOU don't care what the effects are, because you don't have pain..
In her defense (and excuse me K.A. if I'm seeing this wrong) she's repeatedly said she's had relatives and others she knows have serious consequences from opioids and so has strong feelings.

The problem is unless you're in someone's shoes who has severe pain and gets relief to the point where they can somewhat function you can't know what they know. I can tell you that there's many days where I'd not get out of bed without 'em and get SERIOUSLY pissed at people who are not in pain telling me how I should be,feel or what I should do. I'VE DONE IT ALL before I took pills. I've HAD multiple surgeries that failed, scar tissue grew in and presses on the spinal cord. There is NO fix, any further surgery would be temporary if it worked at all, let's forget the risks of not ever walking again.

These new opioid restrictions ARE costing me and others more money and time (we have to see the doctor each time a prescription has to be refilled) and if it continues could cost me my meds as doctors finally just give up fighting for their patients in the fear of constant DEA investigations. I've had one doctor do that over the years. He just quit prescribing due to the hassle.

Are there some people who shouldn't get them or take them? Absolutely, I've got one "friend" who became an addict and I've watched him spiral into addiction hell lying,stealing and cheating just to get a fix.

I've also grown up with friends who were heroin addicts WAY before opioids were a thing...

Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

I wonder what the rate of Alcoholism is in those countries? Many turn to booze...

Old 09-11-2018, 08:39 AM

375 posts, read 319,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I wonder what the rate of Alcoholism is in those countries? Many turn to booze...
That or marijuana use!

Old 09-11-2018, 09:27 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
That or marijuana use!
I wish marijuana worked for my pain. I have tried smoking it, eating it, and using creams. So far its a no go.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:36 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Pot helps me a little.... and that's fine for the evening when I can sit and veg-out. I take my tramadol in the morning, which helps me go to the gym, which helps reduce my RA....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I wish marijuana worked for my pain. I have tried smoking it, eating it, and using creams. So far its a no go.
It didn't help mine either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness