Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm not calling it anything. Oxy IS synthetic heroin.
Not really and using that terminology is counter productive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm 71 I have had severe chronic pain since my early 40's due to arthritis and work related injuries. I never could take opioids, I liked them too much so I refused to take them. For years I relied on ibuprofen, heating pads and occasionally aspirin. In the past few years I have been using marijuana, high CBD, low THC and it helps my pain more than anything I ever tried. I highly recommend it. I don't like to roll joints or use a pipe and edibles are a little hard to gauge the dosage and when it will start working so I vape it. I am not sure why it's not prescribed to every chronic pain patient, it's amazing.
That's great. I wish you and others who have found relief could get the word out.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:59 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't personally need opiates on a regular basis - I've only taken them after surgery for a short amount of time. I'm not worried about losing access to them.
Well, aren't YOU the lucky one....

Old 10-01-2018, 12:09 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Just watched the 60 minutes report done on Opiates last night. OMFG! I knew Florida was the epicenter and what caused all the uproar to begin with but REALLY? C'mon REALLY?

60 Oxycontin per day prescribed to ONE person? 1000 to a PREGNANT lady?
One doctor (in prison btw) prescribed over 800,000 and ONE drug manufacture was the standout supplier out of many but not ONE of those dirtbags has ever ended up in jail, just a pitiful $24 million dollar fine.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:25 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
yeh, that's pathetic alright...and the poor chronic pain sufferers who really need it (possibly have been taking them already for years)and have been responsible just citizens, still contributing to society, are the ones who lose the most.
It's doctors like that that ruin so many lives.
They should indeed be punished severley for the lives they've ruined.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,788,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Just watched the 60 minutes report done on Opiates last night. OMFG! I knew Florida was the epicenter and what caused all the uproar to begin with but REALLY? C'mon REALLY?

60 Oxycontin per day prescribed to ONE person? 1000 to a PREGNANT lady?
One doctor (in prison btw) prescribed over 800,000 and ONE drug manufacture was the standout supplier out of many but not ONE of those dirtbags has ever ended up in jail, just a pitiful $24 million dollar fine.
I watched that too. And last year they did another segment that focused on drug manufacturers and the DEA actually working together to allow drug companies to flood communities.
The opioid epidemic started in Florida were pill mills and greedy, unscrupulous doctors handed them out like candy. Then it just grew exponentially and especially in poorer states. West Virginia got hit particularly hard. But when you are poor and have no hope of ever getting out from under it opioids are a great way to escape. They are a gateway drug to heroin when used recreationally.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
yeh, that's pathetic alright...and the poor chronic pain sufferers who really need it (possibly have been taking them already for years)and have been responsible just citizens, still contributing to society, are the ones who lose the most.
Weii, that one doctor they showed got 187 years in prison.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:47 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,754,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post

thank you. That pretty much sums it up for me.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:39 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,488,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The difference is great enough that those who have adverse reactions to Morphine a derivative of Heroin can take Oxy/Hydrocodone without the adverse reaction.
Weird but true...
Morphine isn't a derivative of heroin.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:07 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,488,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not really and using that terminology is counter productive.
Yes really and it's not 'terminology'. It is what it is. They used to prescribe heroin and then they synthesized it and marketed it as a different drug but it's synthetic heroin.

Some of you keep thinking of street heroin instead of the pure stuff made in a lab by companies like Bayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness