Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 08:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have to correct where you say there were no opiates back then. Opiates have been in use for both pain and pleasure for probably 2000 years. They’re from poppy seeds, not invented in a lab. They were most definitely used in modern times from the old west 1800’s through the 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s and today. They were opium dens in Europe, Asia and India in the middle ages. American Indians made opiates from poppies. They used morphine on Civil War battlefields. American companies put codeine in over the counter cough syrup less than 100 years ago. They have been very commonly used in this country throughout the 20th century.
True, but they were just not prescribed like today. At least that I didn't know of. True used in surgeries etc but otc pain meds are what I grew up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2018, 09:14 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Guess what?

There are millions upon millions that have used narcotic pain control without any issues, why aren't their experiences relevant?

If we only focused on those who have had a bad reaction to a drug, there wouldn't be any medication on the market.....and that would include NSAID'S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Many probably don't know they have addiction tendencies. When I took them for staph infection issue I was not worried about addiction but knew I wanted off them as the side effects were horrific and I don't think they did much more if any than the ibuprofen they were giving me too.
Here's the truth, jamin: used properly, opiates are not damaging to the body like NSAID's, which at the same doses will wipe out the liver and kidneys, not to mention tear the gastrointestinal system to shreds including ulcers and fatal internal bleeding. Alcohol does the same thing yet NSAID's and alcohol are legal and the government is perfectly fine with hundreds of thousands of people killing themselves with both.

Why is that? Why does the DEA not give a damn about a substance as destructive and addictive as alcohol, or just plain destructive as NSAID's yet will deny opiates to millions of people who have taken them for decades with no ill effects on their bodies? This is the hundred million-dollar question I have been asking here and it always comes down to money in my mind. But as I have also mentioned, the number of players in this gigantic puzzle are so numerous it's nearly impossible to draw a flowchart of who is influenced by who and which move by this player leads to the next move by another player. It will take an investigative journalist to get to the bottom of the mystery and you can bet that the people at the bottom of the heap will be the chronic pain victims.

Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
True, but they were just not prescribed like today. At least that I didn't know of. True used in surgeries etc but otc pain meds are what I grew up with.
That is absolutely untrue. My mother had severe, intractable pain from about 1955 until she died in 1985 - she was prescribed codeine, percodan and I can recall a few occasions where she was given a syringe and morphine to inject intramuscularly. She ended up with a real bad addiction, she never used street drugs but she got real good at getting two or three doctors to write her the same script every month. I don't think the drugs even helped her that much after she took them for several years, it seems that she developed a tolerance to them and just kept taking them because she got sick when she was out of them.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,553,448 times
Quote:
Are you talking about? A rash of drugs for sale by whom? No one sells illegal drugs that way. If you don’t know someone out on the street you’re not going to get them. They don’t go around soliciting places and people. They don’t need to do that.
They do though. opioids, benzos, muscle relaxers. Some online Dr. scripts them and they come in the mail:

https://www.google.com/search?q=orde...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-19-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, the most drugged if you want to talk illicit drugs, but certainly not prescribed drugs as 99% of doctors out there are too terrified to write a prescription because of fear of the DEA. And look, a few people are contradicting me on this saying they got a prescription from their doc, but I keep telling them that's the extreme exception. I can cite article after article showing that doctors are being scared off from writing scripts for opioids because of the DEA.

99% is nowhere close to correct and you know that. As with many things in life, extremes on both ends can be occurring at the same time and plenty of room in the middle. I know at least 3 people who consistently get opioids for chronic pain. One is an addict that we fear is going to die from it. I do not know how she gets them all.

One of the others consistently needs them and consistently gets them no problem. The other doesn't need them near as much as she used to, but she keep filling the same amount, which I guess means that she lies to the Dr. or the Dr wouldn't let her build a stash that a relative then stole and sold, perhaps that is how the first person gets hers. Buying from someone who fills them when they don't use them all.

Obviously that one person's doc is not counting hers or putting her through any distress over getting them.

If I felt like putting in this sort of effort, I could find as many stories like that as you do of the other direction. Even though it's illegal, for whatever reasons people will often still talk about it.

For legitimate pain sufferers consistently getting their meds, they have no need to talk about such a boring thing on youtube, so we can just look to LEGAL SALES data to show that plenty of people have Drs scripting them and pharmacies filling them.

Youtube and anecdotes from CD posters is not an accurate way of assessing the reality for the whole of the United States.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:16 AM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
I have never seen anything to indicate they weren’t commonly used for pain. They may not have been as overprescribed as the past decade but it was pretty standard to get after surgery and for broken bones, bad backs etc. Not like they were rare there was probably still a bottle of them I just about everyone’s home.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I have never seen anything to indicate they weren’t commonly used for pain. They may not have been as overprescribed as the past decade but it was pretty standard to get after surgery and for broken bones, bad backs etc. Not like they were rare there was probably still a bottle of them I just about everyone’s home.
Along with valium and benzos. Those were the rage in the 70's.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
They do though. opioids, benzos, muscle relaxers. Some online Dr. scripts them and they come in the mail:

https://www.google.com/search?q=orde...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Sorry I don’t believe for a second that you can get opiates through the mail either illegally or legally. Anyone saying you can is scamming you. People are committing suicide because they can’t get their pain meds, and you think all they had to do was order some online?

I do t mean any disrespect but you seem to lack knowledge of both the history of pain management and the realities of it today, many of the things you believe about them are just not accurate.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Along with valium and benzos. Those were the rage in the 70's.
Yes, “Mother’s little helpers”

Old 11-19-2018, 05:22 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
There's a serious disconnect here. We've got a couple of members here saying, "Yeah, I go out and get Vicodin all the time without any trouble at all. I've even got a stash of the stuff." And then we have hundreds of pain victims telling their stories on hundreds of news articles and comment sections talking about how their doctors retired and now they can't find a new one to prescribe. I've posted no fewer than ten and I could post a hundred more but I don't want to clutter the board. So who's right? Is there a prescribing crisis going on here in America as I and a few other suggest, or isn't there as jen states unequivocally? Are the doctors handing out hydrocodone like candy right now, or aren't they? Here's Oregon Medicaid planing to taper pain patients down to ZERO--in one year!

https://www.statnews.com/2018/08/15/...ering-opioids/

Is this all in my imagination?

^
I think it all depends where you live. I'm in South Jersey by Philly. My friend who had spine surgery over the summer is in North Jersey not far from NY City.

Quote:
I live with pain and I'm sure the doctors etc won't let people in surgeries and advanced health conditions live with horrible pain. I just came out of rehabs and had oxy on a schedule and could not wait to get off it as the side effects, good grief.

https://www.cchrflorida.org/america-...drug-epidemic/
I've already told how my good friend was not able to get pain relief before and after surgery in NJ (North by 78)

Quote:
I wonder about so many here who talk about their need for this opiate type drugs and yet spend so much time on the net. I know if I were in unbearable pain, I would not be here. I live with pain but yes have learned to "suck so much up"...I choose not to take drugs with so many side effects as from opiates..
So, because we suffer from chronic pain we shouldn't be sitting and online? It's probably why we're sitting and online. My routine is I get my coffee and ice pack, take my meds and sit with my feet up.

Quote:
I get emails from many parts of the world offering the oxy type drugs. No way.
I have never gotten an email for Oxycontin or any pain killer.

Quote:
I ended up with horrid sciatic nerve damage back in 80's from hysterectomy and after 1 week in hospital since fever would not break, I cried and it broke, I went home. Once at home I found I had this sciatic issue...that was about 40 some yrs ago, I still live with it today. Not like back then.

At the time I was told about a chiro in a close by city and ended up seeing him every day for at least a week and at the end of his treatments, he went in vaginally and moved the nerve from where it was pressing...this is called "pelvic floor work". I know pain. There were no opiates back then and if I took anything back then it was aspirin, advil wasn't even on the market much then as I recall. Aspirin was my choice for many years, folks used anacin and bufferin and aspirin was in their medicine cabinets too.
We had pain killers back then but off the top of my head I can't recall many. Demerol maybe? Codeine has been around forever and percodan which is probably what parcocet today is derived from. I had lots of dental work in the 80's, my dentist used to give me pain killers. People used to take a lot of quaalude's but googling them, I'm not sure if they'd be for pain. My mother was given valium pretty regularly but I don't recall what for. My dad also had some sort of pain killers; we always had something in the medicine cabinet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
......and....if you have decided to kill yourself due to lack of pain control....do it publicly, on your doctor's/hospital's/pharmacist's/legislator's doorstep.....and leave several letters explaining why with instructions to make them public.

Cold, inhumane, disgusting.....yes.....but so is withholding pain relief.

Addicts overdosing in public sure has made an impact so why not fight fire with fire?
Agree

Quote:
I have to correct where you say there were no opiates back then. Opiates have been in use for both pain and pleasure for probably 2000 years. They’re from poppy seeds, not invented in a lab. They were most definitely used in modern times from the old west 1800’s through the 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s and today. They were opium dens in Europe, Asia and India in the middle ages. American Indians made opiates from poppies. They used morphine on Civil War battlefields. American companies put codeine in over the counter cough syrup less than 100 years ago. They have been very commonly used in this country throughout the 20th century.
Agree. I know we had meds for pain, wish I could recall all of the names. This was a quick google search

The History Of Painkillers In America And The World

Quote:
In the 1980s, drug companies rigorously promoted opioids as a safe way to treat chronic pain. Doctors reported that painkiller addiction was rare, with ratios such as only four in 12,000 patients becoming addicted. Physicians even asserted that doctors who withheld opioid prescriptions were under-treating pain.
Quote:
Here's the truth, jamin: used properly, opiates are not damaging to the body like NSAID's, which at the same doses will wipe out the liver and kidneys, not to mention tear the gastrointestinal system to shreds including ulcers and fatal internal bleeding. Alcohol does the same thing yet NSAID's and alcohol are legal and the government is perfectly fine with hundreds of thousands of people killing themselves with both.

Why is that? Why does the DEA not give a damn about a substance as destructive and addictive as alcohol, or just plain destructive as NSAID's yet will deny opiates to millions of people who have taken them for decades with no ill effects on their bodies? This is the hundred million-dollar question I have been asking here and it always comes down to money in my mind. But as I have also mentioned, the number of players in this gigantic puzzle are so numerous it's nearly impossible to draw a flowchart of who is influenced by who and which move by this player leads to the next move by another player. It will take an investigative journalist to get to the bottom of the mystery and you can bet that the people at the bottom of the heap will be the chronic pain victims.
Agree. I hope someone looks into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness