Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading the OP in full, what is your take on the current state of pain medication prescription
Pain relief medications are "too severely restricted" for legitimate patients? 120 71.86%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “where they should be” for legitimate pain patients? 20 11.98%
Pain relief medications restrictions are “not restricted enough” for legitimate pain patients? 27 16.17%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 05:59 AM

23,845 posts, read 33,490,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, the most drugged if you want to talk illicit drugs, but certainly not prescribed drugs as 99% of doctors out there are too terrified to write a prescription because of fear of the DEA. And look, a few people are contradicting me on this saying they got a prescription from their doc, but I keep telling them that's the extreme exception. I can cite article after article showing that doctors are being scared off from writing scripts for opioids because of the DEA.

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...iction-doctors

DEA is cracking down on physicians who overprescribe pills | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
Medicare Is Cracking Down on Opioids. Doctors Fear Pain Patients Will Suffer.
http://<b>https://www.nytimes.com/20...imits.html</b>

When Pain Kills – National Pain Report

I promise you, naysayers, I am not making this stuff up to try to create a scare. This is really happening and I can dig up all the evidence you want that it's real and getting worse by the day.
Thanks for the article, I hadn't seen it. I'm on Medicare, social security disability. I went to pick a prescription plan and 5 out of 25 cover my oxycontin. None cover my generic sleeping pill. This happened 2 years ago too with my sleeping pill. I have a United Healthcare plan thru AARP and according to the Medicare insurance option site, it is not listed but if I go to the AARP Medicare site, it is listed but I'm having issues when I log in; it gets stuck and won't go to the next screen.

I have to get on the phone today; I know I'll be on the phone at least 2 hours with AARP because they're always busy; no matter what day you call.

Medicare Is Cracking Down on Opioids. Doctors Fear Pain Patients Will Suffer.

Quote:
Some two dozen states and a host of private insurers have already put limits on opioids, and Medicare has been under pressure to do something, too. Last July, a report by the inspector general at the Department of Health and Human Services raised concerns about “extreme use and questionable prescribing” of opioids to Medicare recipients....

...In February, Mr. Zobrosky’s pharmacist told him that his insurance would no longer cover oxymorphone. His out-of-pocket cost for a month’s supply jumped to $1,000 from $225, medical records show. “I can’t afford this for very long and I’m nervous,” he said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:06 AM

21,108 posts, read 13,533,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sorry I don’t believe for a second that you can get opiates through the mail either illegally or legally. Anyone saying you can is scamming you. People are committing suicide because they can’t get their pain meds, and you think all they had to do was order some online?

I do t mean any disrespect but you seem to lack knowledge of both the history of pain management and the realities of it today, many of the things you believe about them are just not accurate.
It's not what I believe. I present facts:

Quote:
What pain medications can you buy online? Oxycodone, hydrocodone, Percocet, Vicodin, tramadol and other painkillers can easily be found online, along with other controlled substances that are becoming harder for patients to obtain legally.
They were selling them before they started becoming harder to get. They are not cheap. I paid a ridiculous amount of money for a script once. I can't remember why. I think it was because I was a workaholic. I couldn't be dragged out of work for hardly anything. When I did finally go back to orthodoc he said put those in the trash, you don't know who made them. I don't even think it was illegal then. Some online doc wrote a script.

They passed the state Trooper who had me on the side of the road once. Everything looks legit (and I feel it was) on the label.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stor...ine-pharmacies

They are trying but not succeeding in getting them all shut down.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Thanks for the article, I hadn't seen it. I'm on Medicare, social security disability. I went to pick a prescription plan and 5 out of 25 cover my oxycontin. None cover my generic sleeping pill. This happened 2 years ago too with my sleeping pill. I have a United Healthcare plan thru AARP and according to the Medicare insurance option site, it is not listed but if I go to the AARP Medicare site, it is listed but I'm having issues when I log in; it gets stuck and won't go to the next screen.
Have you looked at the GoodRx price for your sleeping pill? My friend's new insurance if they cover it at all, the co-pay is retarded for her Ambien and another med but through GoodRX it's much much cheaper. My pharmacy has my insurance and my GoodRx card, which is no cost to us as consumers, and if I have a new med they run it through both to see which gives the best price.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:17 AM

244 posts, read 235,319 times
The DEA is gearing up to ban kratom. Help us fight back.(click)

Old 11-19-2018, 08:47 AM

50,658 posts, read 36,346,569 times
Done

Old 11-19-2018, 09:20 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,807,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I have never seen anything to indicate they weren’t commonly used for pain. They may not have been as overprescribed as the past decade but it was pretty standard to get after surgery and for broken bones, bad backs etc. Not like they were rare there was probably still a bottle of them I just about everyone’s home.
I grew up with migraines. I started getting them at the age of 10. These headaches laid me out for days in a dark room. In the 70's and through the 80's I had doctors and neurologists prescribe me codeine, percodan, and Vicodin. I could get them whenever I wanted. No hoops to jump through. I did not become an addict. As an adult the headaches became a rare occurrence and so did my need for the medication. Plus by then new medications were emerging to treat the headaches.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:28 AM

18,247 posts, read 16,887,961 times
I am telling you good folks, our government particularly the DEA is out to ban every product that makes pain patients' lives bearable. Kratom is NOT an herb to get high on--it's primary function is to help dampen the painful withdrawal symptoms of opioids to make the pains of withdrawal easier to tolerate and now the DEA wants to take even that way from us. There can be only one conclusion: the DEA is trying to drive a large segment of our population to desperation. But desperation to do what? Commit suicide to cull our numbers so our deaths save the government money? Or drive them to the streets to buy illicit heroin so we will either die of OD or be arrested and sent to prison so our assets can be forfeited to them to continue funding this ridiculous war on drugs? The DEA is up to no good, that's readily clear. Kratom doesn't hurt anyone. The DEA is determined to build a case of any kind against it. They used salmonella in a small batch the last go-round to try to get it banned. What trumped-up excuse will they use this time?

Old 11-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I am telling you good folks, our government particularly the DEA is out to ban every product that makes pain patients' lives bearable. Kratom is NOT an herb to get high on--it's primary function is to help dampen the painful withdrawal symptoms of opioids to make the pains of withdrawal easier to tolerate and now the DEA wants to take even that way from us. There can be only one conclusion: the DEA is trying to drive a large segment of our population to desperation. But desperation to do what? Commit suicide to cull our numbers so our deaths save the government money? Or drive them to the streets to buy illicit heroin so we will either die of OD or be arrested and sent to prison so our assets can be forfeited to them to continue funding this ridiculous war on drugs? The DEA is up to no good, that's readily clear. Kratom doesn't hurt anyone. The DEA is determined to build a case of any kind against it. They used salmonella in a small batch the last go-round to try to get it banned. What trumped-up excuse will they use this time?
OMG, the Purge is happening IRL. More likely, they want that herb off the market so as not to compete with opioids or suboxon. Similar reason to keeping pot illegal. They don't want the competition if they can't make the money from it.

Last edited by jencam; 11-19-2018 at 10:20 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 10:21 AM

18,247 posts, read 16,887,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
OMG, the Purge is happening IRL. More likely, they want that herb off the market so as not to compete with opioids or suboxon.
What good is removing an herb that competes with opioids when the DEA is not even going to allow the sale of opioids? Unless you're referring to PCC's going to the streets to buy the illicit opioid, heroin.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
What good is removing an herb that competes with opioids when the DEA is not even going to allow the sale of opioids? Unless you're referring to PCC's going to the streets to buy the illicit opioid, heroin.
Because they are allowing and will continue to allow the selling of opioids, your Purge of people with pain theory is insane. Big Pharma remains very powerful. Why is pot scheduled as it is? Because they don't want the competition unless they can profit from it./
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness