Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times

Advertisements

I just got another message this morning from another source and all I can say my dad did a life of Hops and was sharp as a tack when he passed at 95. I'm not endorsing drinking beer, but those Hops, maybe something to them. I believe one can buy Hops capsules.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/drink-b...gnitive-320296
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 01:24 PM

On this dementia issue, I just had a long phone call with a friend and she was telling me about 3 people in her life that she sees them falling into dementia. She was calling me as she is going to start using Coconut Oil for her cooking and mostly to hopefully halt/slow down memory loss.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:54 PM

3,082 posts, read 1,545,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just got another message this morning from another source and all I can say my dad did a life of Hops and was sharp as a tack when he passed at 95. I'm not endorsing drinking beer, but those Hops, maybe something to them. I believe one can buy Hops capsules.

The title of this thread should be a bumper sticker!

Old 05-20-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
The title of this thread should be a bumper sticker!
Well, yes and no, too many DUI's now.

One can get the benefits from a Hops capsule.

https://www.alzheimers.net/2-16-15-b...efits-of-hops/

Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,154,552 times
If this is true, I'm good to go. But give it a few months, or a couple years, and there will be an article claiming beer causes dementia.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Well if a beer a day can ward off dementia I am doomed I do not like beer now make it wine and I will believe anything that will get me another glass. I like the idea of the bumper sticker; I know the poster was saying this tongue in cheek but it was pretty cute and it would not lead to anymore DUIs.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:

Then just use the hops. There are culinary uses for it (use it instead of basil sometimes, for example), and can be used as a tea. It has been used for centuries for insomnia. Maybe getting good sleep is a factor in preventing dementia. It has been proven that alcohol interferes with good, restorative sleep, nutrient absorption and other things. Promoting a less than healthy drink as dementia prevention is probably not a good idea, especially when hops can be used in safer ways.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Then just use the hops. There are culinary uses for it (use it instead of basil sometimes, for example), and can be used as a tea. It has been used for centuries for insomnia. Maybe getting good sleep is a factor in preventing dementia. It has been proven that alcohol interferes with good, restorative sleep, nutrient absorption and other things. Promoting a less than healthy drink as dementia prevention is probably not a good idea, especially when hops can be used in safer ways.
This is a truth I believe, I considered hops over the years for sleep but got to what I use now without the hops, I get good deep sleep but who knows may add a hop here and there. And yes our brains do need restorative sleep to restore and heal our body.....when I mentioned my dad, he slept like a log with all his hops, no sleep apnea tests for that man.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-21-2019 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 09:10 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,413,270 times
Quote:
On this dementia issue, I just had a long phone call with a friend and she was telling me about 3 people in her life that she sees them falling into dementia. She was calling me as she is going to start using Coconut Oil for her cooking and mostly to hopefully halt/slow down memory loss.
Would a tablespoon a day of coconut oil help?

I have organic coconut oil and take 1 tablespoon per day (alone, not with food).

I also take Gungko Biloba everyday.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:57 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Quote:
This is a truth I believe, I considered hops over the years for sleep but got to what I use now without the hops, I get good deep sleep but who knows may add a hop here and there. And yes our brains do need restorative sleep to restore and heal our body.....when I mentioned my dad, he slept like a log with all his hops, no sleep apnea tests for that man.

Some people fall asleep from just breathing in the scent. Long ago, people made sleep pillows with hops and other herbs with natural sedative effects. It was a small fabic pouch filled with sedative herbs placed near their beds or under their pillows. It has been observed that people working in hops fields become sleepy or fall asleep.

I didn't think of this before, but there is non-alcoholic beer and also wine. Studies found that they have significantly better health results than the alcoholic kind. Alcohol decreases the antioxidant effects.

ETA: I wondered if insomniacs still use sleep pillows. Apparently some do https://blog.mountainroseherbs.com/h...-dream-pillows

Last edited by SimplySagacious; 05-22-2019 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness