Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:35 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

SuzyQ, you keep insisting that lifestyle changes are recommended. You keep ignoring what I said -- that recommending 90 minutes of exercise per week, and a low fat calorie restricted diet -- is not helpful advice.

Old 06-19-2018, 06:46 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
The idea that eating fat causes heart disease is not generally believed any more. It is now thought that sugar and other refined carbohydrates are a leading cause.

So you are not disproving the idea that lifestyle matters.
Fat is involved in heart disease. The emphasis now is not on total fat, but the type of fat.

Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease: A Presidential Advisory From the American Heart Association | Circulation

"Taking into consideration the totality of the scientific evidence, satisfying rigorous criteria for causality, we conclude strongly that lowering intake of saturated fat and replacing it with unsaturated fats, especially polyunsaturated fats, will lower the incidence of CVD. This recommended shift from saturated to unsaturated fats should occur simultaneously in an overall healthful dietary pattern such as DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) or the Mediterranean diet as emphasized by the 2013 American Heart Association/American College of Cardiology lifestyle guidelines and the 2015 to 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans."

Trans fat should be avoided as much as possible. The quantity of fat has to be controlled in order not to cause weight gain - from excess calories.

Quote:
"You do understand that people eat when they are not hungry, don't you?"

Maybe some do. But as I said there are natural mechanisms to prevent it. If I am really not hungry, I really don't feel like eating. I think that's normal. Eating because of stress, as an addiction, is something different. Or if someone is out of touch with their body, because of a bad lifestyle, and because of metabolic syndrome.

You don't read most of what I write, and I end up repeating it over and over.
Everyone who gains weight is eating too much to maintain his ideal weight, and I guarantee he is eating at times when he is not hungry.

There are no "natural mechanisms to prevent it". If you have a source that says there are, please share it, because if there were, no one would ever gain weight.

Quote:
SuzyQ, you keep insisting that lifestyle changes are recommended. You keep ignoring what I said -- that recommending 90 minutes of exercise per week, and a low fat calorie restricted diet -- is not helpful advice.
And you still have not provided any evidence to support your position. I have.

You have yet to explain how someone can lose weight without creating a calorie deficit by a combination of less food intake and increased activity.

The diet recommended is not a "low fat calorie restricted diet." Have you even looked at what foods are on the Mediterranean diet?

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...t/art-20047801

"The focus of the Mediterranean diet isn't on limiting total fat consumption, but rather to make wise choices about the types of fat you eat. The Mediterranean diet discourages saturated fats and hydrogenated oils (trans fats), both of which contribute to heart disease."

https://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/the-mediterranean-diet

"Low-fat diet: The Mediterranean diet doesn’t qualify as a low-fat diet. But it is low in saturated fat and is well within the American Heart Association’s guidelines."

"For weight loss, stick with it more than 6 months (preferably forever), get regular exercise, and watch your portions."

Since the Mediterranean diet is most often recommended by doctors and it is not a "low-fat diet", by definition doctors are not promoting a "low-fat diet".

"Watch your portions" means do not eat too much - eat less than you did when you were gaining weight. Hint: what a restaurant puts on your plate is not appropriate portions.

What do you find is wrong with this diet?

https://oldwayspt.org/sites/default/...ramidFlyer.png

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 06-19-2018 at 07:12 PM..

Old 06-19-2018, 07:35 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
watch the magic pill on Netflix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GitUC_678

fats are good for us and so are meats...…. again its sugar thats the food demon....

Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
If people only ate when they were hungry, dessert would not exist.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-19-2018, 07:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Show me a study that compares 90 minutes of exercise and a low fat calorie restricted diet is more harmful than making no lifestyle change at all. Moving the goalposts...even if a doctor recommends a lifestyle change it is not EXACTLY the one that you THINK is best.

What is your exercise routine and send us a week of your menus so we can properly understand and evaluate what you are recommending.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,937 times
Quote:
Merko won't listen to me if I say anything different from what his doctor said. He trusts his doctor.
So stop yapping at him. You're probably raising his blood pressure.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzPaw View Post
So stop yapping at him. You're probably raising his blood pressure.
I stopped trying to help him a long time ago.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Everyone who gains weight is eating too much to maintain his ideal weight, and I guarantee he is eating at times when he is not hungry.

There are no "natural mechanisms to prevent it". If you have a source that says there are, please share it, because if there were, no one would ever gain weight.
Yes there are natural mechanisms, and they are well known. There are hormones that suppress appetite, for one example. The body can become resistant to these hormones because of metabolic syndrome.

You just want to disagree with anything I say. I never said no one will ever gain weight. I said IF THE SYSTEM IS HEALTHY, hunger will correspond to the body's needs.

And refined carbohydrates can disrupt the natural mechanisms. And lack of exercise.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Show me a study that compares 90 minutes of exercise and a low fat calorie restricted diet is more harmful than making no lifestyle change at all. Moving the goalposts...even if a doctor recommends a lifestyle change it is not EXACTLY the one that you THINK is best.
Those recommendations are very likely to fail. The patient is blamed for not losing weight and lowering blood sugar and cholesterol naturally, so drugs are prescribed.

If they were given good lifestyle advice, patients would be likely to succeed, and would not need drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
What is your exercise routine and send us a week of your menus so we can properly understand and evaluate what you are recommending.
I have said many times that my lifestyle is reasonable and moderate. I think the typical recommendations are at least an hour of aerobic exercise (walking, running, bicycling, swimming, etc.), and avoiding processed food.

Some might want to do a lot more that that, but most don't want to, or can't, devote all their time to health.

And no matter how great your lifestyle, you can still get sick. There are diseases that are genetic, and there are infections that anyone can catch no matter how healthy they are.

For most of us, just being reasonable and moderate is probably the best idea. And we should try to educate ourselves and read various points of view. If you only trust mainstream medicine and the drug industry, you will not get unbiased information.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Those recommendations are very likely to fail. The patient is blamed for not losing weight and lowering blood sugar and cholesterol naturally, so drugs are prescribed.

If they were given good lifestyle advice, patients would be likely to succeed, and would not need drugs.

I have said many times that my lifestyle is reasonable and moderate. I think the typical recommendations are at least an hour of aerobic exercise (walking, running, bicycling, swimming, etc.), and avoiding processed food.

Some might want to do a lot more that that, but most don't want to, or can't, devote all their time to health.

And no matter how great your lifestyle, you can still get sick. There are diseases that are genetic, and there are infections that anyone can catch no matter how healthy they are.

For most of us, just being reasonable and moderate is probably the best idea. And we should try to educate ourselves and read various points of view. If you only trust mainstream medicine and the drug industry, you will not get unbiased information.
Wow...this is your recommendation? SHOCKING! And I appreciate you then backing off on the genetic issue...no ever said it was 100% genetics - why do you argue as if that's what people were saying?

I think you like stirring the pot...perpetually. Few people don't think diet is important - and didn't we all have phys ed starting in elementary school? These are not novel ideas. You feel the need to demonize people who probably agree with 75% of what you say. You like to speak for other people as though you're privy to what all doctors talk to patients about in the examining room - not credible and not believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness