U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2008, 06:48 PM

153 posts, read 403,999 times

Advertisements

I don't drink coffee, rarely alcohol, but I have to say that I love diet soda. Is it really all that bad? I probably drink about three a day. When trying to loose a few pounds does it inhibit weight loss? I can see why it's bad for your teeth but why is it so bad for your health? Or is it? Thanks for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 07:01 PM

790 posts, read 3,893,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
I don't drink coffee, rarely alcohol, but I have to say that I love diet soda. Is it really all that bad? I probably drink about three a day. When trying to loose a few pounds does it inhibit weight loss? I can see why it's bad for your teeth but why is it so bad for your health? Or is it? Thanks for your thoughts!
I was curious so i googled
No calories, same taste (and heart risks) - Diet and nutrition - MSNBC.com
And i didn't read this article but i do know that it's really acidic which is not a good thing.
I've never liked diet sodas. I don't understand the appeal. If it doesn't have sugar, what's the deal? Is it the caffeine? What's to like? just wondering.
Also, i wonder if you're drinking enough water. Are you skimping on the water and drinking diet soda instead? tsk, tsk

Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 PM

14,645 posts, read 8,598,191 times
There is a lot of controversy surrounding diet soda, which often makes me worry because I drink too much of it. The good thing about diet soda is that it doesn't have the 110 calories per pop that regular soda has. If you add up a few glasses over a week, that's a couple thousand "raw" calories that you save. This fights weight gain, and weight gain can lead to a plethora of health problems. That being said, there is evidence that some of the artificial sweeteners can encourage cancer in high doses. It is also very acidic and can damage the stomach and facilitate the development of kidney stones. I guess the only real "answer" is to balance the risks as they apply to your person health habits.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:48 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,629,727 times
that is exactly the problem--the artificial sweeteners is what makes it so bad for you. studies show that they do promote cancer...

Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 PM

18,385 posts, read 38,024,116 times
I now stay away from the diet sodas that contain aspartame (which is most of them). I only buy the ones made with Splenda. "Diet Rite" is one that I buy, but sometimes I can find Diet Coke with it. You'd think all Diet Coke would be made the same.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:04 PM

4,898 posts, read 17,629,727 times
and be aware that aspertame is in other products as well--like yogurt

Old 03-29-2008, 11:27 PM

8,240 posts, read 16,220,278 times
You can wean yourself off of the diet cokes....just sub la croix water. La croix comes in cans, just like Coke, and is carbonated and fizzy. You won't miss it, and you'll be healthier for sure. I've heard that diet Coke can actually make you hungrier, is too acidic, has too much salt and caffeine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness