Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,373,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

In this instance the problem is a pharmacist who does not understand the fundamental difference between a miscarriage and an elective abortion. That is a very big hole in his fund of knowledge. It makes me wonder what other deficits there are in his education.
This pharmacist seems impossibly stupid.

The pill was to save the patient from having to have a D&C, but I guess he'd rather they scrape the ALREADY DEAD FETUS from her uterus than have her take a pill.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:32 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,971,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Misoprostol is primarily (only) used to cause uterine contractions. (Couple of of uses)

I can't add to the "dead fetus" part of the discussion because I have no knowledge of what pro or anti lifers believe. (I have my own base and can't speak for anyone else)
Yet this guy made an assumption at the cost of a customer rather than take a few minutes of his time to call the doctor.

If these pharmacies want to hire pharmacists who will not prescribe against their beliefs, the very least they could do is compensate the customer for their inconvenience. A $20 gift certificate sounds about right.

As things are, if I ever hear of a pharmacy in my area employing a pharmacist like this, I will make sure I never give them any of my business.......not prescriptions, a bottle of aspirin, a box of tissues, a candy bar, not a penny......as is MY right.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:40 PM

5,393 posts, read 3,411,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yet this guy made an assumption at the cost of a customer rather than take a few minutes of his time to call the doctor.
Would this be allowed with HIPAA laws?

Quote:
If these pharmacies want to hire pharmacists who will not prescribe against their beliefs, the very least they could do is compensate the customer for their inconvenience. A $20 gift certificate sounds about right.
I think this should be posted in the pharmacy that "so and so pharmacist" will not prescribe certain drugs due to their ethical/religious beliefs.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:53 PM

7,142 posts, read 4,984,962 times
Interesting discussion..

It seems members here are either on the side of individual rights for ALL individuals, or only individual rights for SOME individuals.

The latter seem to forget that the pharmacist did offer an alternative to the patient. They also seem to think sever punishment is the only remedy, and it's not sufficient to simply re-educate/train the pharmacist on one small point of company policy. I would guess, then, that they would also favor debtor's prison and capital punishment for stealing bread.

For those who feel the guy should find another profession, then you probably also feel nobody should go into the window washing/oddjobs business unless they were willing to wash windows on the 97th floor or clean old septic systems. If they can't do all odd jobs, then they shouldn't be allowed to do any.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:53 PM

6,277 posts, read 4,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Or she could just go to a different pharmacist and not make a big thing out of it. When you compromise your religious beliefs you start compromising everything. Although in this case, since the fetus had already died I'm not understanding what his issue is. I couldn't click on the link because I think my computer is dying. It won't load anything that has pictures.
He wasn’t compromising his beliefs, he made an assumption to the detriment and inconvenience of a distraught patient. She should not have to go elsewhere , the pharmacy should have a policy of having a secondary pharmacist or one who while not compromising his/her beliefs has professional compassion to help a distraught patient get her meds ,either by courier to the pharmacy or her home.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM

706 posts, read 462,002 times
Like Kim Davis, some crazy religious folk think that they can impose their religious beliefs on others.

Religious liberty is not imposing your beliefs on others.

These Ted Cruz Constitutionalists need to take another hard and slow look at the First Amendment.

Thomas Jefferson:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

John Adams:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

The American government is not in and of itself built on the Judeo-Christian ethic, even if some Christian or Jewish ideals find common ground with its basic tenents.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:21 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,971,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Would this be allowed with HIPAA laws?

I think this should be posted in the pharmacy that "so and so pharmacist" will not prescribe certain drugs due to their ethical/religious beliefs.
I believe it is within HIPAA laws for a pharmacist to discuss diagnosis with the prescribing doctor, they are a licensed healthcare professional involved in your care.

I also agree any restrictions on medications due to a pharmacists personal beliefs should be prominently posted so women do not waste their time and money chasing their prescriptions down clear across town.

After all, refusing to fill a medication due to personal beliefs is LEGAL so why not post it?

Another thing, why did this pharmacist automatically send the script to another Walgreens to be filled?

Maybe the woman would have preferred it be filled, let's say, at the CVS right across the street?

Shouldn't he have contacted the woman and asked her what she wanted?

What would have happened if she said she didn't want to drive all the way to the next Walgreens and wanted her script back or transferred to a closer pharmacy?

Old 06-25-2018, 01:24 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
Like Kim Davis, some crazy religious folk think that they can impose their religious beliefs on others.

Religious liberty is not imposing your beliefs on others.

These Ted Cruz Constitutionalists need to take another hard and slow look at the First Amendment.

Thomas Jefferson:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

John Adams:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

The American government is not in and of itself built on the Judeo-Christian ethic, even if some Christian or Jewish ideals find common ground with its basic tenents.
and I am not a Ted Cruz fan or supporter, but everyone has a right to live life as they see fit based on religion or other beliefs. By your rules and beliefs it seems you would say Jews working in a meat market should be required to sell pork.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,361,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and I am not a Ted Cruz fan or supporter, but everyone has a right to live life as they see fit based on religion or other beliefs.

And if a Muslim waitress declined to accept your order for bacon with your pancakes at IHOP would you say the same thing?

And that isn't life threatning.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:28 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,546,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Not at all. Pharmacists cannot diagnose or prescribe. A DOCTOR examined this woman and decided what was medically appropriate for her. The pharmacist just carries out that prescription. Pharmacists are there to fill orders not determine whether those prescriptions are ethical or medically necessary.
Incorrect part of a pharmacist’s job is to insure the medication won’t cause harm to patient. That may be by preventing a drug interaction or by cross checking for contra indicated medical conditions. From your drug history a pharmacist can tell if you have a condition and not fill a medication because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
1) I disagree with those laws as they can be damaging to people who do not have easy access to an alternative pharmacy.

2) There were other staff on hand. He violated the company's policy for such situations.
1) That’s not an issue here because she did have an alternative.

2) The company policy was not violated. He sent the prescription to another pharmacy to be filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.