Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 07:32 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

In case there are people who don't know, you don't have to actually put ice on your back. There are gel packs now that you keep in your freezer when you're not using them. They're more comfortable to use than the old-fashioned ice bags.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EAPNCQ

I think I have five, in varying sizes. They can help with muscle ache or pain caused by degenerative disc disease.

When I was using Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) it would make me drowsy and dizzy at the same time. Different people react differently, so just FYI. There's probably a warning about not driving when you use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 07:46 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I used the following:
- red pepper bandage, very efficient ;
- inversion desk (you lay on it with your head down, and legs up, so the gap between the vertebra grows), efficient;
- chiropracter, not helpful;
- pain killers, not helpful;
- physical therapy, very efficient.
I wish you to get better soon!
Could you give more info on the first two items?

Thank you

Old 06-29-2018, 07:50 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
Also consider looking in to a TENS unit. We just learned about them ourselves but they seem to help lots of our friends. This is one option of many.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-29-2018, 08:57 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
If a chiropractor is an hour away, then acupuncture may not be easily accessible either, but I am recently recovering from a herniated disk in my neck and acupuncture was a godsend in terms of helping manage the pain, and stimulating the healing process. I feel extremely fortunate to have recovered without need for any surgery (despite it being a true herniation confirmed on MRI) and I absolutely credit acupuncture as part of that process.

Otherwise, sounds like you are doing all the right things and I wish you continued healing!

Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Hi all,
I was transferring clothes from the washing machine to the dryer which is 3 ft away. As I twisted to get clothes in the dryer, my back locked up and drove me to my knees.

I crawled the 30 ft from the laundry room to the living room. My DW helped me get in a chair, gave me an ice pack, some Ibuprofen (what an angel!).

That was 2 days ago, and I'm not seeing any improvement. I've been to a doctor who prescribed a muscle relaxer and Naproxen for pain. neither seems to help much.

I would see a chiropractor, but I have to drive about an hour to get there.

My question is about home therapy. I'm switching from heat to cold packs, and trying some gentle stretching.

I'm not asking for medical advise, just wondering if I'm missing some other home therapy.

Any help at all is much appreciated!

I do not have any advice on your back but I hope you are feeling better very soon. I noticed your "status" and started laughing. Good ole "Firesign Theatre." I have used that quote throughout my life. And it SOOOO true!

Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I do not have any advice on your back but I hope you are feeling better very soon. I noticed your "status" and started laughing. Good ole "Firesign Theatre." I have used that quote throughout my life. And it SOOOO true!

I love the Firesign Theater!

"The adventures of Nick Danger third eye" is hilarious!

"Don't pick up that dwarf, hand me the pliers" also great

And finally, "Were all Bozos on this bus" not as funny, but still great stuff!

Ralph Spoil Sport, my kind of guy!

Old 06-30-2018, 09:04 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
The tens unit helped me a lot. My physical therapist recommended biofreeze, which helps a lot. She also gave me printouts of the exercises she had me do.

I also found an oat based wrap that can go in either the freezer or microwave. Another helpful solution.

My back will never be ok due to a car accident but these things, along with the baths & ibuprofen have helped.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Can you call your doctor on Monday and ask if you can see a physical therapist for evaluation and treatment - even just few visits to give you some home exercise recommendations? Then get in to see someone as soon as possible.

It is very important as we get older to NOT stay in bed and be immobile when you have a back pain episode, unless that is the instructions from a knowledgeable doctor who knows the cause of your pain. A poster suggested staying in bed for 2 weeks. That is awful advice. Anyone who has been in the hospital for 1-2 weeks knows how quickly muscles atrophy and how fast you become deconditioned. The older you are, the longer it takes to recover from that deconditioning.

Agree with using the medications, heat or cold (buy one of the blue soft, skin safe cold packs on Amazon - one with a velcro stray for wearing around your back). And see that PT! There's a reason Medicare pays for it....

Old 06-30-2018, 09:41 AM

535 posts, read 343,489 times
I have had numerous back pain and problems over the years. I finally demanded an MRI. I told the doctors that I felt numbness in my hands and feet, but they overlooked or forgot what I said and only ordered an MRI of my lower back. It was swollen, so they told me to use an ice pack. No heavy duty drugs. I only used coated aspirin, Tylenol, or Advil. I was careful with those drugs as well. They all have side effects. Tried acupuncture with some relief.
I tried to get up from a barstool and almost fell. I asked for an MRI of my neck and upper body. It revealed that I had a narrowing of the spine in my neck and I was close to becoming a quadriplegic. I could have fallen and lost my mobility from the neck down. After many neurological experts arguing as to what my diagnosis was and what I needed to do to save my future mobility, I decided to listen to one neurologist whom I trusted and get the cervical spine surgery. In short, the neurosurgeon put a metal plate in my neck to stabilize it. That was 5 years ago, and it was the right choice. I hope that it lasts a bit longer and I can continue to walk and do things.

No one medical situation is the same. Get yourself to a good GP, pain clinic, and neurologists. Hold off on the neurosurgeons, as they usually want to do the surgery. Listen to your doctors, yourself, then make your own decision. Do not ignore obvious signs on diminishing ability to complete daily tasks. Write everything down and let your doctors know about it. Physical therapy is great, but only if you have good people working on you who care. It is a big complex body and it is hard to find the best thing to do for you.

Good luck and I hope your injury is just minor and transient. Mine was not.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:45 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Hot tub/spa you can easily get in and out of. Hydrotherapy is good. Perhaps you have access to one at the gym?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness