Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:58 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,993 times

Advertisements

The worst is when the prepper uses the same gloves to handle cash and then go back using them with food. Practically nothing is dirtier than bills and coins. Imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 PM

765 posts, read 473,560 times
every place i frequent does use gloves and i do feel safer that the food preparers do change them constantly. i think it is just wise to take whatever precaution possible... and i'm not paranoid about germs or anything like that , it's just that i got used to good hand hygiene volunteering at a hospital, constantly washing or using purel and then using gloves too.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:20 PM

130,218 posts, read 12,093,129 times
It never crossed my mind, to even look.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
The worst is when the prepper uses the same gloves to handle cash and then go back using them with food. Practically nothing is dirtier than bills and coins. Imagine.
That's why wearing gloves makes no difference. These are minimal wage uneducated workers, not 5 star chefs cooking expensive meals or brain surgeons trying to prevent an infection on their patients.

Your food WILL have germs on it. Does that mean people will avoid fast food or chain restaurant for the rest of their life? No.

It's a calculated risk. Sometimes I want Taco Bell and I accept that the minimal wage uneducated employee who hates their life might not have gloves on.

I used to work at whataburger, we rarely used gloves. That didn't stop millions of people from eating there.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
The dirty stuff to handle is the money.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:22 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
I'd worry more about the pan,storage of the food. Prepping is only part of conscious safety .

I assure you when I'm making a pastry and dicing and stewing, I'm not washing my hands each time I grab a stirrer or knife.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:32 PM

10,231 posts, read 6,315,362 times
I worked in public school cafeterias, and also in the warehouse distribution center. In the distribution center where we handled, cut up, and cooked the meats, we wore gloves, and washed our hands in addition in between, definitely when going from one meat to another. Washing up, cutting, and cooking many pounds of raw chicken? Pork chops???? Bare hands?

In the cafeteria we also wore gloves and changed them serving the children. Handing them a burger with bare hands? Oh, NO. The school cafeteria would have been shut down for that.

Sounds to me that standards in restaurants are far more lax than schools.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:41 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
I used to eat at a particular place that had one booth that you could see into the kitchen. One day I was in that booth and happened to look into the kitchen in time to see the cook, reach under his pants to scratch his behind and then pick up my burger to place on the grill.
I think in many cases they are required by health laws, but that does not mean those laws are enforced or always followed.

Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,452,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I used to eat at a particular place that had one booth that you could see into the kitchen. One day I was in that booth and happened to look into the kitchen in time to see the cook, reach under his pants to scratch his behind and then pick up my burger to place on the grill.
Just curious....did you eat that burger?

Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Whatever your food handlers are passing along in your own home town, your body has already developed a healthy immunity to it. They're not sick and you won't get sick from it.

If traveling abroad, maybe a different story, where you may be exposed to bugs your system hasn't yet learned to recognize and neutralize. But you're going to get those from anything you touch, not eating food. Worry more about local people not wearing glove s when they open doors and handle change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness