Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Fasting makes you more dehydrated than you would otherwise be. Without sugar and salt water just goes in and goes out rarely doing much to your hydration status. Plus people tend just not to have that much time to get rehydrated if they get their labs done first thing in the morning.

ETA my doctor has never ONCE told me to be sure to drink enough water not to get dehydrated
Your kidneys regulate water balance just fine. No need to take salt and sugar with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My labs are fine with my doctor and with me. And she does NOT call for fasting labs. She's my doctor, no one is on this group. thanks.

And what makes you "THINK" I don't listen to what my doctor says. You assume a lot. Amazing how so many assumptions from members here.
The rationale for fasting has been explained to you. Perhaps if your doctor does not follow the directions from the lab doing the test you need a different doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have changed my overall eating habits in general, not just for labs!!!!! More assuming.
The comment was made to the thread readership in general and was not directed at you. What makes you think it was? I did not quote you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 03:39 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your kidneys regulate water balance just fine. No need to take salt and sugar with it.

The rationale for fasting has been explained to you. Perhaps if your doctor does not follow the directions from the lab doing the test you need a different doctor.

The comment was made to the thread readership in general and was not directed at you. What makes you think it was? I did not quote you.
Thank you for your correction as always. Mine was a general comment too that many can change their lipids with changes in diets, what one puts in their mouths ongoing.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:57 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Fasting doesn't mean to not drink water. Fasting is done to ensure a more standard comparison from one time you've tested to the next so it is not unduly influenced by what you've recently eaten.

No reason to be dehydrated before a fasting test - drink as much water as you want and you'll avoid the issue! Don't invent some crazy conspiracy where there is none.

And perhaps they are making it easier by combining two "fasting" tests on the same occasion so you won't be doubly inconvenienced - they're being NICE...go figger.
Drinking water also makes it easier to find a vein.

I always drink water before blood tests unless they are in conjunction with a test that requires being knocked out.

And that's not a set in stone rule anymore

I had a rigid cystoscope with propofol anesthesia scheduled on same day as CT and blood work. (I had blood in urine and my urologist decided that she wanted to to see ct before she scoped me)

I was told to drink 16 oz water an hour before I went to Urology Center because of the dye used in CT. Totally new protocol.

All tests came back negative, DX was just urethral stricture with no prostate or kidney stone issues. All she had to do was dilate me before I woke up (Although, dilation can easily be done while awake with only minimal discomfort)

Old 07-07-2018, 04:03 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Fasting makes you more dehydrated than you would otherwise be. Without sugar and salt water just goes in and goes out rarely doing much to your hydration status. Plus people tend just not to have that much time to get rehydrated if they get their labs done first thing in the morning.

ETA my doctor has never ONCE told me to be sure to drink enough water not to get dehydrated
Because you don't stop or slow down in your intake of water just because you are fasting! Why would your doctor tell you this? He didn't say to stop drinking - he told you to FAST.

I don't know about you, but if I wake up thirsty, I drink. But not coffee...or tea...or juice if I'm fasting. And just because you're fasting doesn't mean you have to have labs done at the crack of dawn - are you sooooo hungry after 12 hours that you can't wait to drink a glass or two of water and then have labs done? Seriously... a little common sense. If you're hungry, you're even told to drink a glass of water - exactly what you'd do if you were fasting!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:52 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
or some reason every time I have a lipid test, I must have a blood sugar and triglycerides test. Both of those do require fasting.
It is routine nowadays to test blood sugar not as fasting glucose, but as A1C, which does not require fasting.

A blood A1C test measures average blood glucose over time (past three months, as I recall) as opposed to as a single occurrence.

The A1C test is also the primary test used for diabetes management.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...nosis/a1c-test

Old 07-07-2018, 09:37 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:

Total Cholesterol 237
LDL 154

These are normal numbers (if a bit low) for me.

A couple of points:
  1. My doctor wanted me on medications immediately both times she saw the LDL over 200. How many people end up on cholesterol medication for life because of being dehydrated?
  2. For some reason every time I have a lipid test, I must have a blood sugar and triglycerides test. Both of those do require fasting. MY triglycerides test and blood sugar were elevated because I wasn't fasting. Why do doctors do it this way? Honestly it seems they do it because these two tests will have something unfairly elevated no matter what you do... fast or not.
I have to ask, who told you those numbers were normal? They seem rather high. Do you eat a lot of sugar and fats?

Old 07-07-2018, 10:59 PM

703 posts, read 612,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I have to ask, who told you those numbers were normal? They seem rather high. Do you eat a lot of sugar and fats?
They are not high. They used to tell people these numbers were normal and healthful. Until they arbitrarily lowered them.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:51 PM

48,522 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:

Because the definition of fasting is no food, but includes water?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-08-2018, 06:18 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
No, clearly it is genetic. These numbers have never moved my entire life.

When I was on a medically supervised liquid diet.. so I only drank medically supervised shakes all day.. they went way up. So you can drink all day long and still be dehydrated - kidneys just eliminate what you take in unless you have something like salt or sugar to hold it there. Why do you think you lose "water weight" when you start dieting. Cause you eat less food.

My doctor is fine with them as long as the blood sugar and the triglycerides stay low. Which they do, when I am fasting.

Quote:
The A1C test is also the primary test used for diabetes management.
Well ok but I don't have diabetes so my doctor doesn't order it. She orders the lipid profile first which includes the blood sugar and triglycerides which are the gate way to concern and "lets consider drugs" discussion.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:03 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
No, clearly it is genetic. These numbers have never moved my entire life.

When I was on a medically supervised liquid diet.. so I only drank medically supervised shakes all day.. they went way up. So you can drink all day long and still be dehydrated - kidneys just eliminate what you take in unless you have something like salt or sugar to hold it there. Why do you think you lose "water weight" when you start dieting. Cause you eat less food.

My doctor is fine with them as long as the blood sugar and the triglycerides stay low. Which they do, when I am fasting.

Well ok but I don't have diabetes so my doctor doesn't order it. She orders the lipid profile first which includes the blood sugar and triglycerides which are the gate way to concern and "lets consider drugs" discussion.
No you can't "drink all day and still be dehydrated".....not physiologically plausible or possible

Your erroneous ideas about how kidneys function in regards to presence or absence of "salt and sugar" are also unsupported with even a basic understanding of human physiology.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness