Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 02:59 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Correction that I missed:

I said: "I give her a beta blocker for her high pulse and I cannot give her one if her pulse is under 110 or the low number under 55.

I meant: I give her a beta blocker for her high pulse and I cannot give her one if her blood pressure is under 110 or the low number under 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 03:57 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
I also have an Omron older model. I took it to the Dr. office to have it calibrated, it is very accurate, I like that it gives heart rate as well as BP.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
I agree its best to monitor one's BP at home, where you have control over the environment. A doctor's office is not exactly the most stress-free environment!

Consider the stress of just getting there, oftentimes battling traffic, parking, etc, then dealing with office staff, calling you sugar plum, sweet pea, etc, then being told you can't be seen until you pay your remaining bill, which HAS been paid in full weeks prior, then standing there while they call billing to get an update (seems they could have updated your account before your appointment), then being told you can't be seen that day because you were LATE for your appointment (when you were there ahead of time, you had to wait for them to get their records straight)

Finally a p'od "nurse" takes you back to an exam room, acts annoyed you don't walk faster, throws a bunch of papers at you and walks out, slamming the door behind her. Per Nurse Ratched's instructions, you have dutifully changed into the fashionable paper gown, and wait another hour. Then you poke your head timidly out the door and ask when you will be seen, only to be snapped at again, then, finally someone comes in to take your blood pressure. Ok, of course its sky high!

Then in walks Dr Wonderful, who observes you're a little high strung today. Oh, that explains your high BP---white coat syndrome!

The above described at least 80% of the doctor visits I had in the past, while my BP hovered in the danger zone. Finally I bought a BP monitor, monitored myself at home, and got consistently high readings. I also found a new doctor! When I took in a PO of my readings, he didn't argue or suggest
whitecoat" he just put me on BP meds, monitoring, etc.

Its incredible how doctors seem to come up with just about any excuse to brush your symptoms off and blame/belittle you for even suggesting they might be missing something!

Old 07-21-2018, 10:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,217,168 times
I have a Panasonic EW3109 That I've used for several years. It's accurate within a range of 10% or so. It also stores 90 readings which is nice as a comparison.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I have an Omron. I also take my reading when I go to the gym or to the pharmacy, and as long as they are in the same range as when I go to the doc I feel comfortable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness