Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 05:55 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,655,360 times

Advertisements

I've been this way for decades (I'm in my 40's). Anything that makes me feel uncomfortable, especially medical things, signals my vagal response and I either faint or have to sit down and hope I don't faint. I doesn't even have to be something happening to myself, I can't even watch things with others or hear about it without feeling the blood leaving my extremities. It's very embarrassing but there's nothing I can do to stop it. I've learned to watch dr's about it if I suspect it to kick in. It begins with me getting very hot, then tunnel vision, then the blood rushing from my arms and legs. I usually faint at that point.

Anyone else like this? Is there anything you can do to make it better? I've heard if you lay down and put your feet up, that it helps. Any advice or at least to hear from others with this would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:56 AM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Ive only had it happen once and my friend said I suddenly got pale and lips blue and she called an ambulance. I was given the same advice to lie down and put feet up until it passes if it happens again. According to the Mayo Clinic site you have to try and avoid the triggers ,easier said than done.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350527

Old 07-26-2018, 07:55 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,876 times
Lie down and elevate the feet, for sure. If you cant lie down, sit and put your head down between your knees. Focus on your breathing.

My friend gets that way with blood.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:37 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Have you been diagnosed by a physician? Just wondering...

Old 07-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

When it happened to me it wasn't declared as a diagnosis as much as a reaction to sudden intense pain by the attending physician at the hospital. Most of the staff treated it as meh!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:31 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Oh I disagree, it is indeed something to be concerned about...that's why I was wondering what medical imput she received...

ER staff see the worst there is on a daily basis...IMO...they can be a bit dismissive on occasion of what they see are minor complaints, especially when they have a trauma victim in the next cubicle. I used to sub in the ER from a different dept.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Oh I disagree, it is indeed something to be concerned about...that's why I was wondering what medical imput she received...

ER staff see the worst there is on a daily basis...IMO...they can be a bit dismissive on occasion of what they see are minor complaints, especially when they have a trauma victim in the next cubicle. I used to sub in the ER from a different dept.

In my case is was NOT something to be concerned about. It happened ONE time, the hospital staff didn't see it as an ongoing issue. I was not offended, nor did I think their reaction unfairly dismissive. On the other hand if it had kept happening, and I was falling, fainting and getting hurt, SURE it's something to be concerned about.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Not formally, but my dr. (actually multiple doctors) know about it and don't seem concerned. I'm very healthy otherwise. I've been this way for over 30 years. I often faint when they draw blood from me too. I look away, and the needles don't really bother me, but once it starts to be drawn, whether I know it or not, I can faint. I saw my son have a bad reaction once to a shot and I fainted. Sometimes once I come to, I'll vomit several times for hours. It's not a fun thing to deal with.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Lie down and elevate the feet, for sure. If you cant lie down, sit and put your head down between your knees. Focus on your breathing.

My friend gets that way with blood.
If, when it happens again, I"m going to try the elevated feet if possible. I often find water helps, but it's probably because I get sweaty and clammy feeling just before fainting.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Not formally, but my dr. (actually multiple doctors) know about it and don't seem concerned. I'm very healthy otherwise. I've been this way for over 30 years. I often faint when they draw blood from me too. I look away, and the needles don't really bother me, but once it starts to be drawn, whether I know it or not, I can faint. I saw my son have a bad reaction once to a shot and I fainted. Sometimes once I come to, I'll vomit several times for hours. It's not a fun thing to deal with.
I don’t think it is unusual at all. I watch medical procedures/blood draws and am usually super calm and they all think it is bizarre. I do have a strange delayed response to some female procedures. I had one where they told me to rest for a while and I did, but then I went to have lunch across the street and almost passed out in the parking lot after. They are not really sure what causes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness