Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:09 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,737,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
I've read countless horror stories over the years from people relating the many bad doctors out there that don't know what they are doing. Believe me when I say that not all doctors are familiar with every malady. And many don't want to learn. They would sooner tell you that it's all in your head, and "Here have some anti depressants".

For many of these things you need a doctor that thinks outside of the box, and doesn't kowtow to Big Pharma, and the Ins companies. The drug companies are the ones that train the doctors, and if your issue isn't in their books, well then it doesn't exist! Those excellent types of doctors usually don't accept ins, or medicare which makes it more difficult for some of us to afford. I would only get on the nerves of the bad ones as I would absolutely refuse to take pharmaceuticals except as a last resort. And they wouldn't get their kickbacks. Therefore, being your own health detective is invaluable, and paramount. Please do your own research. Don't take anyone's word for it.

And there are labs where you can order your own lab work too. Those are excellent.
Interesting, but I’ve never experienced a doctor telling me it was “ all in my head” or suggest antidepressants. I did go to one doc one time years ago (for what I cannot remember), didn’t like his bedside manner and found another doctor who I liked.

Only pharmaceuticals I take are for asthma. They have been literal lifesavers. My parents were told when I was 5 that it was unlikely I’d live to adulthood due to my severe asthma. Fortunately, research brought along drugs that control my asthma beautifully and here I am some 53 years later healthy and happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:44 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,221,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Oh brother . You are taking this much too personally, lol.
Nope - just very familiar with confirmation bias and wanting to learn more from the OP but he was not especially forthcoming. I'd think since he was crowing about his google skills he'd share a bit more but he hasn't been back for awhile. What's YOUR interest?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:53 PM

24,295 posts, read 9,185,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oh! I wanna play.

Every single one of my lymph nodes was inflamed. What was it? I'll even help, 99% of the cases are HIV or cancer, but that wasn't it.
It reminds me of another HIV symptom that's often googled.

If you sweat at night and google what's wrong, sorry buddy, it says you have HIV. Lost weight drastically? It's also HIV.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:05 PM

11,410 posts, read 7,737,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
It reminds me of another HIV symptom that's often googled.

If you sweat at night and google what's wrong, sorry buddy, it says you have HIV. Lost weight drastically? It's also HIV.
Unless you’re sweating a lot at night and are female, then it says menopause. Which is probably correct if you’re also in your 40s or 50s.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:11 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,530,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I found what I thought I was looking for. For any combo of Googling, the top 2 answers to “pain on top of foot” were stress fracture or extensor tendonitis. When I got to the doc, even she suspected a stress fracture based on the placement of the pain and swelling and that I walk 34-40 miles a week on hard surfaces.
X-rays proved us both wrong.

So while Google was a way to find a possible diagnosis, only an appointment with the doctor gave me an actual diagnosis. If I’d been Googling something else, like say a rash, I may have tried to treat it at home with OTC. But, when the most likely reason comes up with the word fracture in it, I’m off to the doc.
Runners, and others that are active like you, know that pain on the top of the foot can also be from shoes laced too tight on the top of the foot, and overuse. I must loosen the laces in that spot, or I will consistently suffer. It would apply to walkers also. This is called Extensor tendonitis as your results showed. One of the fixes is easy, loosen the laces till you can't feel it tight anymore on top. Sometimes very loose. There are other tips in the included links to see if anything else works.

Some of us have a bony protrusion on the top of our feet that makes it worse with tight laces. Since you put on a lot of mileage Extensor Tendonitis is perfectly plausible. Swelling, and bruising are two of the symptoms. It can be so bad that it does feel like a fracture. There is a great deal of inflammation with this too. Do you have arthritis elsewhere, or just on the top of your foot? If it's only there then I question if it actually is arthritis. Or it could be a combination of Extensor Tendonitis, and Arthritis. Sometimes things overlap. And there is Post Traumatic arthritis too. It settles in after an injury.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/news/...-to-haunt-you/

Something else to consider. Have you changed shoes lately? When did this pain start? Was there a time when it didn't hurt you? What shoes were you wearing when it didn't bother you? It could be the type of shoes you are wearing. I wear minimalist shoes which I slowly worked up to wearing. But I still have to have loose laces, or else. Seriously, try giving loose laces a trial run of a couple months, and see if it helps. Also consider seeing a sports doctor too who would be familiar with the injuries that active people get.

Dealing With Injuries That Aren't Really Injuries | Page 3 of 4 | Competitor.com

https://www.epainassist.com/sports-i...sor-tendonitis

On the other hand:

"What Else Could Be Causing The Pain?
Other conditions that mimic the symptoms of extensor tendonitis are metatarsal stress fracture, atypical gout and degenerative arthritis. For further information consult with your podiatrist."

https://www.ahni.com/Specialties/Foo...endonitis.html

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319737.php

"It is important to note, however, not all bony prominences in the midfoot represent arthritis. It is not uncommon for people to have local shoe wear irritation from a normal bony prominence, known as a tarsal boss. This does not necessarily signify significant midfoot arthritis."

https://www.footeducation.com/page/midfoot-arthritis

My best regards so you can get back to putting on some more of those miles. I know how frustrating it can be.

------------------------------------------

Old 07-24-2018, 03:19 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,806,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Clearly and exaggeration that can't be taken seriously. Last time I asked a poster like you for a specific example, I was provided one and easily found her diagnosis on the second result right there in front of her!
Cool. My doc found my correct diagnosis on her first result.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,530,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Nope - just very familiar with confirmation bias and wanting to learn more from the OP but he was not especially forthcoming. I'd think since he was crowing about his google skills he'd share a bit more but he hasn't been back for awhile. What's YOUR interest?
Why do you ask? Does it matter? 22 years of bodywide 24/7 pain, Hemochromatosis, fibro/cfs, hypothyroidism, hormone imbalances, and other assorted miseries most of which overlap. For instance, the fibro pain is caused by the iron overload, and hypothyroidism. The hypothyroidism is caused by the hormone imbalances, and the hemochromatosis. The body deposits the iron into your organs which causes them to not function properly, and that includes the thyroid. I give blood which is the way to bring down your iron levels. As well as avoiding anything with iron in it, and cast iron cookware. While making new blood your body brings it out of storage. No doctor ever tested for iron overload. I was terribly ill for years before I found it out by accident. I have three different tests that confirm the diagnosis. Hemochromatosis is the most common genetic disorder in the US that nobody has heard about. Test your storage iron which will tell you. Give blood. It helps others as well as yourself. Till menopause women's monthly period helps protect them. For men giving blood once a year lowers his risk of heart attack by 50%. The following says 88%.

https://watermark.silverchair.com/14...8FmuyxdJ_Oeajk

https://www.amenclinics.com/blog/don...for-your-body/

This is the same study as above.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9737556

https://www.google.com/search?ei=SZ1....0.KyMzUsID45Q

Yes, I do my research, and no I don't keep all of my links. There are way too many. But I do keep the best, most relevant ones. Sometimes while researching you get on a rabbit trail, and don't remember how you got there because there are two many twists, and turns. Forums are also very good for gathering info. Learn from other's mistakes, and successes. But one thing I have learned is that everyone is different. What works for one doesn't always work for another. But giving blood is a consistent plus.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:54 PM

50,191 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Unless you’re sweating a lot at night and are female, then it says menopause. Which is probably correct if you’re also in your 40s or 50s.
It is actually similar for men, cause I looked it up for my honey (he was sweating buckets when he slept, then would wake up freezing in wet sheets). It doesn't actually say menopause, but says it's due to loss of testosterone in middle age, so it really is similar.

The good thing is you can also find solutions. He tried Zinc Piccolinate, which had G results reported for low T and it seems to have worked cause he hasn't had that happen again for many months.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:56 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,446,117 times
Google is (mostly + practically) free. I'll look up conditions and symptoms to gain more knowledge, even if I will likely end up visiting a doctor.
1) copays can add up
2) having more knowledge avoids unnecessary procedures, costs, and lets you better convey your situation to your doctor

Old 07-24-2018, 04:12 PM

24,295 posts, read 9,185,432 times
Quote:
Agreed, no doubt some of these sites list the very worst diseases or illnesses known to man over common symptoms.

Spots on tongue? Welp, you clearly have cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness