Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:53 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wow.

Amazing number of assumptions regarding a patient that had metastatic cancer whom you know nothing about and you clearly know nothing about how clinical trials work..
I know exactly how clinical trials work.

And I said upfront: No way to tell.

Read before you comment.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And we don't know that she and were family WEREN'T made aware of those risks but for whatever reason decided to participate. Unless you're saying that only the ignorant would want to participate and that no one would do so knowingly? The OP is just speculating without knowing all the details. Regardless OP, I'm sorry for your loss - stomach cancer is a tough one.
No.

What I said was: anyone who signs up should be aware of the risks. The OP is trying to sort through this, and needs to know that the relative should have signed up knowing what could happen.

How did you get from there to here in your accusatory response calling the person ignorant? My response was, again, factual. Informed consent is part of trial participation. Whcih means, again, she should have been aware of all risks.

You realize that you are agreeing with me yet pretending I am saying something different?

Good gawd.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:26 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I know exactly how clinical trials work.

And I said upfront: No way to tell.

Read before you comment.
Nope

Very clear from this and all your other posts you have no idea how clinical trials work. Have you ever participated or run a clinical trial? Doubtful....

You said “No way to tell “. Then went on to make ridiculous assertions about how clinical trials work, how patients are chosen, the likelihood that this patient did in fact receive the study medication and that the study medication caused the death....but yeah “ you said no way to tell “. Spare me....

Maybe you should read your own posts before you comment

Old 07-24-2018, 03:05 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
Does cancer cause fluid to build up? I know if was in her stomach, abdomen, pelvic area, and liver.
In my case, which really is the only thing that I can reference with true knowledge, my cancer does create liquid (called ascites) in my abdomen. In the picture they took while doing a laparoscopic diagnosis, you can actually see my cancer seeding create the liquid. Looks like tiny little silvery drops. The chemo I'm on, keeps it from building up too much. I seriously hope it continues. Before chemo, my belly looked like I was 6 months pregnant and I'm not overweight by any stretch of the imagination.

Right now I have moderate ascites. Moderate improvement according to my last CT scan. It's still there though and yes, I do notice it since there is some pressure if I eat too much or stand too long.

Quote:
No.

What I said was: anyone who signs up should be aware of the risks. The OP is trying to sort through this, and needs to know that the relative should have signed up knowing what could happen.

How did you get from there to here in your accusatory response calling the person ignorant? My response was, again, factual. Informed consent is part of trial participation. Whcih means, again, she should have been aware of all risks.

You realize that you are agreeing with me yet pretending I am saying something different?

Good gawd.
Before anyone starts a trial, they are given full information of what it is and possible outcomes. As a cancer patient that is looking at trials, the information is in your face. You never go into it blind. That would bring up an ethical problem if not informed.

We are told that we may or may not be in the arm getting the new drug. They do still treat the cancer even if not on the new drug. They don't just give a placebo.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Nope

Very clear from this and all your other posts you have no idea how clinical trials work. Have you ever participated or run a clinical trial? Doubtful....

You said “No way to tell “. Then went on to make ridiculous assertions about how clinical trials work, how patients are chosen, the likelihood that this patient did in fact receive the study medication and that the study medication caused the death....but yeah “ you said no way to tell “. Spare me....

Maybe you should read your own posts before you comment
So according to you, clinical trials do NOT have:
placebo group
treatment group
inclusion criteria
exclusion criteria
informed consent

And the drugs used, never have any adverse events.

OK. Good to know. Thanks for the *lesson*. /eyeroll/

Old 07-24-2018, 03:52 PM

199 posts, read 129,301 times
Robino, do you have stomach cancer?

Old 07-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
Robino, do you have stomach cancer?
No, I have colon cancer metastasis. It is in my abdomen and omentum. The omentum is a lace type of fatty tissue that pretty much holds the intestines in place.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:30 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
So according to you, clinical trials do NOT have:
placebo group
treatment group
inclusion criteria
exclusion criteria
informed consent

And the drugs used, never have any adverse events.

OK. Good to know. Thanks for the *lesson*. /eyeroll/

Whether there is a placebo group depends on the drug and the condition being treated. If there is already an established treatment, the new treatment is compared to the established treatment.

Trials do indeed have inclusion and exclusion criteria and informed consent.

My son took part in a trial when he was on chemo for his leukemia. The informed consent packet described every known complication of every drug he took, including the new one. He was randomized to the active arm of the study and got the new drug, which is now a standard treatment itself.

There are studies done in patients with metastatic disease, so your assumption that "If she had been at risk for what happened, she most likely would have been weeded out as a candidate and not enrolled in the trial." is not true.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:15 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Since there is no way to accurately answer OP's question and he was been given good info, thread closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness