Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 03:06 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,769,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
You are describing me and the answer is No I will not take a statin. The danger from potential side effects is greater than death. I doubt you would understand that ,but quality of life is more important than length of life.
The danger of potential side effects is greater than death? That’s an absurd statement. 90% of people who take statins have no side effects. 10% experience muscle aches. Adjusting the medicine taken and/or the dosage alleviates the issue.

I’d gladly take a few temporarily achy muscles over dying.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:32 PM

3,062 posts, read 1,525,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The danger of potential side effects is greater than death? That’s an absurd statement. 90% of people who take statins have no side effects. 10% experience muscle aches. Adjusting the medicine taken and/or the dosage alleviates the issue.

And there are many that have permanent muscle damage. No little muscle ache or pain. Permanent nonreversible muscle damage that impacts your quality of life. That may be good for you, not acceptable to me. And its all assuming, which is a big assumption, that high cholestrol has much to do with heart disease. All just to sell drugs and make big bucks for dishonest pharma companies. You live your life the way you want, Ill live mine.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
And there are many that have permanent muscle damage. No little muscle ache or pain. Permanent nonreversible muscle damage that impacts your quality of life. That may be good for you, not acceptable to me. And its all assuming, which is a big assumption, that high cholestrol has much to do with heart disease. All just to sell drugs and make big bucks for dishonest pharma companies. You live your life the way you want, Ill live mine.
Yeah, all a part of the medical industrial complex, started in 1980 or so. And here we are. Dealing with so much drug damage and other damages from "elective" work.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:21 PM

8,192 posts, read 3,396,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post

You are assuming that you would probably die much sooner without statins. This whole discussion here has been about that assumption. It is mostly marketing promotion by the drug companies that has convinced people that keeping cholesterol low prevents death.

If you read carefully, you will see there is intentional deception, and you will see that statins for heart disease prevention is a controversial subject.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 PM

3,034 posts, read 7,910,634 times
I am allergic to statins,way,way back when the side effects were unknown,Lipitor had me almost in a wheel chair with back ache and leg ache.one night on news Tom Brokaw made this known,it took several months to get pain free.
I am 85,we made an unfortunate move to CT and new Primary Care doctor asked me to try them again,he prescribed 10mg,it took only a week to get leg aches.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:17 PM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4513492/

"The role of blood cholesterol levels in coronary heart disease (CHD) and the true effect of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs are debatable. In particular, whether statins actually decrease cardiac mortality and increase life expectancy is controversial."

This is in a cardiology journal.

SuzyQ will always find some drug company research claiming a 45% reduction in mortality with statins, or something like that. Yes, you certainly can find them. And you can also find the opposite.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:19 PM

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditio...your-life.html

"Harvard's John Abramson, M.D., author of Overdosed America, acknowledges that taking a statin can reduce your risk, but not by a lot. "Treating 140 people with less than a 20 percent risk for five years will prevent one heart attack or stroke." He favors focusing more on preventing a heart attack through lifestyle changes."

Old 08-12-2018, 07:47 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,094,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
You are assuming that you would probably die much sooner without statins. This whole discussion here has been about that assumption. It is mostly marketing promotion by the drug companies that has convinced people that keeping cholesterol low prevents death.

If you read carefully, you will see there is intentional deception, and you will see that statins for heart disease prevention is a controversial subject.
We will all die. The intent with statins is to die at a more advanced age of something other than a heart attack or stroke.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ran_Population

"Overall, the mean age at death among statin users was 2 years older than among nonstatin users, despite statin users being at a higher risk of death. In conclusion, the results of this study have shown that using statins is a potent life-saving strategy. The benefit observed in this study is unique because almost 1/2 the patients were >or=70 years of age when statin therapy was initiated."

As far as the gain in life expectancy is concerned, there is a limit to how much gain you can achieve for older people.

https://academic.oup.com/gerontologi.../6/901/2605490

"The difficulty in increasing life expectancy when mortality is as low as it is throughout much of the age range should not be underestimated. Estimates from the U.S. vital statistics are that eliminating deaths from major cardiovascular disease would add 5.5 years to life expectancy and eliminating deaths from cancer would add 3.2 years ( Arias, Heron, & Tejada-Vera, 2013 )."

That is if all of those deaths were eliminated.

The small gains that you suggest are insignificant are indeed significant.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

I have read carefully and disagree completely. If my cholesterol levels and other risk factors for heart disease ever cause my doctor to recommend statins, I’d take them. They DO prevent heart attacks and strokes and increase life expectancy for many. I’m aware of the possible side effects and would discuss changes with my doctor if they occurred. The risk/reward balance tilts firmly in favor of taking a statin if warranted.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yeah, all a part of the medical industrial complex, started in 1980 or so. And here we are. Dealing with so much drug damage and other damages from "elective" work.
You might be dealing with those things, but I certainly am not. I’ve had 2 surgeries neither of which I was elective. No issues with either. I take daily medications for allergies and asthma. No side effects just relief from those conditions. I don’t even remember the last time I went to the doctor for anything other than a routine physical, mammogram or dental cleaning.

The so called “medical industrial complex” is working just great for me. I plan to stick with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.