Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 04:42 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,544,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No...we just don't all have YOUR brand of information...every single child in the U.S. takes a "health" class every single year of school - nutrition and exercise are topics. Most kids still have a P.E. (Physical Education) requirement of some type. Where did YOU go to school?
Where is that? Many schools did away with “health” classes yrs ago. Many have even done away with PE. Many want to do away with recess for the younger ones.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:54 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,421,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Completely agree, but wonder why patients fail to take meds correctly. It’s right there on the bottle. With more complicated issues, I’d hope most leave with written instructions.
Blame the patients and their inferior intellectual skills. Most of them are so stupid, they probably believe in God.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:33 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No...we just don't all have YOUR brand of information...every single child in the U.S. takes a "health" class every single year of school - nutrition and exercise are topics. Most kids still have a P.E. (Physical Education) requirement of some type. Where did YOU go to school?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Where is that? Many schools did away with “health” classes yrs ago. Many have even done away with PE. Many want to do away with recess for the younger ones.
Really? I just did a quick search and Colorado curriculum has both a health class AND a science class for every grade - I guess some kids are getting it still:

https://www.cde.state.co.us/standard...ws-bygrade#1st

Anyway, if we're talking about all the sick adults NOW, back whenever you're saying YOU never had a health class? Give me a break!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:49 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Completely agree, but wonder why patients fail to take meds correctly. It’s right there on the bottle. With more complicated issues, I’d hope most leave with written instructions.
Among others, they forget. They may not understand why it is being prescribed. They may think they do not need it. Cost - take less than the prescribed dose to stretch it out.

https://wire.ama-assn.org/practice-m...ir-medications

Quote:
Sure is and most of the effort should start in the drs office but first there needs to be open communication, not one side giving orders and telling the patient what to do.
As I said, there needs to be a dialogue. The patient needs to speak up, ask questions, and make sure he knows the rationale for the treatment.

Quote:
I agree that those are a bad idea. On the other hand, more kids participate in extracurricular sports activities now than when I was growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Blame the patients and their inferior intellectual skills. Most of them are so stupid, they probably believe in God.
For someone who claims to have a PhD in psychology you seem to have a very poor grasp of human psychology. Half the patients a doctor sees have IQs below 100. However, a good proportion of supposedly educated Americans do not understand how to interpret risk.

https://www.selflender.com/blog/innu...t-problem.html

"In the last large study conducted back in 2003, the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics found that some 30 million American adults, or about 14 percent, had "below basic" word skills, meaning they were incapable of completing simple, everyday literacy activities, like reading instructions."

"But the innumeracy epidemic is far worse. In the same National Assessment of Adult Literacy completed in 2003, researchers who asked a large sample of adults a series of carefully-crafted questions found that 22% of Americas had "below basic" quantitative skills. In other words, there are 50% more Americans who can’t handle basic math than can’t handle basic word skills."

The Vaccine Information Statement given with each dose of a vaccine is geared to about a tenth grade reading level.

From the CDC on health information materials:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/pdf/Simply_Put.pdf

"According to the National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL), released in 2006 by the U.S. Department of Education, 30 million adults struggle with basic reading tasks. The NAAL also found that only 12 percent of consumers have proficient health literacy skills suggesting that nearly nine out of ten adults may lack many of the skills necessary to sufficiently manage their health. Low health literacy can affect a person’s ability to locate health care providers and services, fill out health forms, share personal health information with providers, manage chronic diseases and engage in self-care."

G4N, these are the people that physicians are trying to educate about risk.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Among others, they forget. They may not understand why it is being prescribed. They may think they do not need it. Cost - take less than the prescribed dose to stretch it out.

https://wire.ama-assn.org/practice-m...ir-medications

As I said, there needs to be a dialogue. The patient needs to speak up, ask questions, and make sure he knows the rationale for the treatment.

I agree that those are a bad idea. On the other hand, more kids participate in extracurricular sports activities now than when I was growing up.

For someone who claims to have a PhD in psychology you seem to have a very poor grasp of human psychology. Half the patients a doctor sees have IQs below 100. However, a good proportion of supposedly educated Americans do not understand how to interpret risk.

https://www.selflender.com/blog/innu...t-problem.html

"In the last large study conducted back in 2003, the U.S. Department of Education's National Center for Education Statistics found that some 30 million American adults, or about 14 percent, had "below basic" word skills, meaning they were incapable of completing simple, everyday literacy activities, like reading instructions."

"But the innumeracy epidemic is far worse. In the same National Assessment of Adult Literacy completed in 2003, researchers who asked a large sample of adults a series of carefully-crafted questions found that 22% of Americas had "below basic" quantitative skills. In other words, there are 50% more Americans who can’t handle basic math than can’t handle basic word skills."

The Vaccine Information Statement given with each dose of a vaccine is geared to about a tenth grade reading level.

From the CDC on health information materials:

https://www.cdc.gov/healthliteracy/pdf/Simply_Put.pdf

"According to the National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL), released in 2006 by the U.S. Department of Education, 30 million adults struggle with basic reading tasks. The NAAL also found that only 12 percent of consumers have proficient health literacy skills suggesting that nearly nine out of ten adults may lack many of the skills necessary to sufficiently manage their health. Low health literacy can affect a person’s ability to locate health care providers and services, fill out health forms, share personal health information with providers, manage chronic diseases and engage in self-care."

G4N, these are the people that physicians are trying to educate about risk.
I can't even read this. The contempt you feel for most people is too depressing.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:31 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Oh good grief. What does a question of why some patients can’t follow the directions on a bottle have to do with religion? Next time you wonder why people find your arguments confusing and illogical, read this post.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I can't even read this. The contempt you feel for most people is too depressing.
How is stating facts "contemptuous"? You make similar statements without any facts to back them up.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Oh good grief. What does a question of why some patients can’t follow the directions on a bottle have to do with religion? Next time you wonder why people find your arguments confusing and illogical, read this post.
I have been reading atheist blogs for decades so I know how they think. The general public is a bunch of idiots, too stupid to agree with their atheism.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I have been reading atheist blogs for decades so I know how they think. The general public is a bunch of idiots, too stupid to agree with their atheism.
Careful, your biases are showing! You "know" a lot of things - assumptions make arguments so much easier.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:46 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:

End this thread already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness