Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 03:07 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/ne...ety/546889002/

Quote:
The vast majority of women in America give birth without incident. But each year, more than 50,000 are severely injured. About 700 mothers die. The best estimates say that half of these deaths could be prevented and half the injuries reduced or eliminated with better care.

Instead, the U.S. continues to watch other countries improve as it falls behind. Today, this is the most dangerous place in the developed world to give birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 03:35 PM

9,861 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Wow. That article was surprising. Thanks for posting it. Here's hoping that hospitals make the necessary changes to be able to identify these problems before mothers are injured. I have another grandbaby coming in 3-4 days. Two were born at one of the good hospitals mentioned in the article.

Old 07-27-2018, 04:00 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
I'd like to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. The medical community in the US has long treated women poorly. There are many studies that confirm this, so before someone tells me that's not true, do some research. The state of reproductive care for women has become even worse.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Did anyone notice the women's names in this article? Perhaps not representative in that article, but here is another piece that pinpoints ethnic differences in mortality and apparently in treatment:

https://www.npr.org/2017/12/07/56894...y-explains-why

Old 07-29-2018, 09:59 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
That's odd........ improper training? Too casual an attitude towards the care they give? I doubt it's an anti-female bias.

Old 07-29-2018, 10:55 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'd like to say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. The medical community in the US has long treated women poorly. There are many studies that confirm this, so before someone tells me that's not true, do some research. The state of reproductive care for women has become even worse.
Why would anyone who is biased against women want to work in a field where all of the patients are women?

The physician who started a local OB/GYN group in my community many years ago began his career as an old fashioned GP. He is reported to have switched to OB/GYN because he could not stand taking care of male patients. He was also famous for writing a prescription for a "baby nurse" and handing it to the new dad - meaning get the new mom some help for a while after she and the baby come home.

This is a systemic problem and one that can be fixed. Hospitals have to recognize it and implement policies that have already been shown to work. I cannot fathom why they would not want to do so ASAP. They also have to adequately train staff and hire enough of them.

Old 07-29-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I wonder about the plausibility of the graphic that shows the large discrepancy between the US rate and that of other countries. It seems that all countries do not calculate maternal mortality the same way.

No, America Doesn't Have The Highest Maternal Mortality Rate In The Developed World

Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I admittedly didn't read the article carefully but it seems to center around after birth care?
Like assuming once the birth was uneventful and a normal 'ordinary' thing, checking blood loss and blood pressure hasn't been thought of to be necessary.
Please do correct me if I got that wrong

Old 07-30-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I admittedly didn't read the article carefully but it seems to center around after birth care?
Like assuming once the birth was uneventful and a normal 'ordinary' thing, checking blood loss and blood pressure hasn't been thought of to be necessary.
Please do correct me if I got that wrong
If the uterus does not contract properly after delivery there can be heavy bleeding from the site of attachment of the placenta. The blood vessels in that area are normally pinched off by surrounding muscle fibers as the uterus contracts after the placenta detaches and is expelled. The uterus can fill with clots. The nurse attending the delivery should be checking the uterus frequently to make sure it is firm and not soft and boggy. Massaging it through the mother's abdominal wall will make it contract. One problem is that if the mother is extremely obese it can be difficult to feel the uterus. Also, as the uterus fills with clotted blood, visible blood draining from the vagina (I know, TMI!) may not be suggestive of severe blood loss. Then the first hint of hemorrhage may be a low blood pressure, which should be checked frequently immediately post delivery. Women who have had cesarean sections may bleed internally. Again, since that blood is retained inside the abdominal cavity, low blood pressure may be the only indication it is happening.

Pre-eclampsia, or toxemia, is a hypertensive disorder of pregnancy of unknown cause characterized by high blood pressure, swelling, and protein in the urine. Delivering the baby (more specifically, the placenta) cures it. However, a small number of women do not experience the onset of the condition until after delivery. That is another reason for monitoring the blood pressure postpartum. In days past, when patients spent three to five days in the hospital after delivery, their high blood pressure would be picked up before they went home. Now it may not happen until after they leave the hospital. There is no easy solution to that problem. Home visit by a nurse? When and how often? Mom comes to her doctor's office? When and how often? Mom or a family member takes her blood pressure? That's probably the least expensive option. Certainly new onset of a severe headache should prompt evaluation in the office or ER as soon as possible.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
It's been too long since I've had kids but do any new moms on here remember whether or not your blood pressure was routinely taken after you delivered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness