Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,516 times

Advertisements

Your next artificially intelligent (AI) doctor will see you now please - I for one look forward to the time I get to hear this. I have been seeing various articles recently regarding the progress of AI. In this specific instance, AI in regards to the field of medicine. Its coming. It is just a matter of time.

With "big data" (more then we humans can now adequately process) and the constant improvement of artificial Intelligence (AI), it is only a matter of time before our doctors become AI machines, or perhaps, AI and human doctors working together with humans providing the face time.

There are some who would balk at this idea, especially what some would consider the older generation. However, if one can manage to put aside their fear of what is different and fear of the unknown and actually look at the data, one could see the improvements and accuracy AI has compared to their human counterparts in multiple fields now, one of which is diagnosing disease.

While AI is not 100% foolproof and it still needs work, over time, AI has shown to continue to best humans in many of the tasks it is given to do, often by a significant and insurmountable margin. Given enough time and enough data, the fields that AI bests humans in will continue to expand.

With those things said, even now, AI is shown to best humans in diagnosing disease (such as tumors, heart disease and other ailments) both in being more accurate then humans in diagnosing specific disease and in diagnosing the disease much faster.

People already use technology instead of their human doctor now to a degree. They use Google and other electronic means now to diagnose themselves and their ailments separate from their human doctor. There is inherent danger in doing this as there is misleading information (either deliberately or unintentionally) on the internet. Also, because disease symptoms of totally separate diseases often overlap to a degree, there is also the danger of going down the rabbit hole of psychosomatic cyberchondria.

While humans are still good at diagnosing things, they are human and not infallible, they make mistakes. Machines have already surpassed humans in both accuracy and diagnosing specific disease much faster. In the realm of medicine where health, suffering and/or life could be on the line, I am confident that most, even those who are now opposed, would choose to listen to the diagnosis of Doctor B, who has a diagnostic accuracy of 95% then Doctor A, who has a diagnostic accuracy of 71.3%, even if doctor B was shown to be a machine and Doctor A was shown to be a human.

To start chemotherapy and undergo surgeries or other significant procedures are big decisions. Wouldn't you want the most accurate diagnosis before undergoing these things when weighing your decision to undergo them with the most accurate diagnosis, regardless of it is a machine or a human?

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on this after reading this OP in full and the two linked articles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyol.../#2c67337412c0

https://futurism.com/ai-medicine-doctor/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 PM

377 posts, read 382,366 times
I always laugh when I hear people say computers are going to take over hte world....

Let me give you a simple example as to why I think it's bogus.

I have an Iphone 8. State of the art computer technology. But when I drive away from my home with my cell phone and I start losing wifi signal, my stupid ass iphone designed by computer geniuses with computer science degrees from MIT, can't figure out when to give up searching for a lost WIFI signal and instead switch over to cellular data/network. I literally have to turn off wifi so that it will use cellular data instead of just spinning its wheels.

I can give a 1000 examples just like this -- before we declare that computers are taking over the world let's wait until they figure out the simple stuff first.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:46 PM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I always laugh when I hear people say computers are going to take over hte world....

Let me give you a simple example as to why I think it's bogus.

I have an Iphone 8. State of the art computer technology. But when I drive away from my home with my cell phone and I start losing wifi signal, my stupid ass iphone designed by computer geniuses with computer science degrees from MIT, can't figure out when to give up searching for a lost WIFI signal and instead switch over to cellular data/network. I literally have to turn off wifi so that it will use cellular data instead of just spinning its wheels.

I can give a 1000 examples just like this -- before we declare that computers are taking over the world let's wait until they figure out the simple stuff first.
^^^ Pretty sure your phone has a setting for this, my Pixel does.

Old 08-04-2018, 03:03 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I would like to see us slowly move towards the AI doctors. First to enhance and take the strain off our current system I would like to see some doctoring moved to the pharmacy. As our diagnostic tools improve; we could have technicians at the pharmacy take throat swabs and place them in the equipment for diagnosis. If you would have a particular stain of strep (for example) the exact antibiotic would be administered. By eliminating the visit to the doctor's office the patient would get faster and more reliable treatment. This would not totally eliminate doctor's offices; one could always go there and of course there will be the disease, broken bones and sprains that need a professional touch.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:05 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Your next artificially intelligent (AI) doctor will see you now please - I for one look forward to the time I get to hear this. I have been seeing various articles recently regarding the progress of AI. In this specific instance, AI in regards to the field of medicine. Its coming. It is just a matter of time.

I am curious to hear people's thoughts on this after reading this OP in full and the two linked articles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyol.../#2c67337412c0

https://futurism.com/ai-medicine-doctor/
I am somewhere between no, absolutely no and Hell no!

I'll stick with flesh and blood MDs

Old 08-05-2018, 11:54 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
I see no problem with it. It's another way to get an opinion. Seems like it would be more valuable if it could also do some diagnostic testing while there, reading blood test results, etc.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:55 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
I look forward to it becoming more available, AI health consulting. The more approaches that can be used to diagnose an illness, the better. Multiple approaches have a synergistic effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness