Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:41 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times

Advertisements

Kale maybe???? But sooner or later it will be condemned too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 01:47 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I recall an article I read years ago titled, "Salad: The Silent Killer." Unfortunately I don't remember any details, just the title.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:53 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Kale maybe???? But sooner or later it will be condemned too.

Already happened:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/...-for-you-gulp/

Too much raw kale can negatively effect your thyroid.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:10 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
by a person or a study?

I recall that even Nathan Pritikin who donned his megaphone in praise of whole grains, fruits, and vegs, while condemning all forms of dietary fat, had problems with spinach. saying that it could cause arthritis and kidney stones. He even said that too much fresh fruit could elevate triglycerides.

Imagine having a myocardial infarct for pigging out on apples, pears, and table grapes.
Many. I eat them every day. The bulk of my diet consists of leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, squash, sweet potatoes, grains, corn in season, (I have no gluten intolerance, but I still do not over indulge in them) fresh fruits, nuts, sweet potatoes, and legumes. I occasionally eat, wild caught fish. Dairy is a treat. So are baked goods.

They are condiments.

For example, last night I made a pasta salad which we had for dinner. The vegetables were the bulk of the pasta salad. Pasta was a little less than I/2 of the salad. I loaded it with broccoli, artichoke hearts, and other vegetables.

No one at my table goes hungry - or leaves sick.

I have recipes if you are interested.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:23 PM

24,611 posts, read 9,446,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you have lived long enough, you will have heard what is good is now bad, and back and forth. Don't let it make you crazy. Moderation is the key.
Yes, moderation and exercise is key.

But to the OP, I agree, pretty much everything has been condemned as unhealthy. OR "not enough studies to prove it has healthy benefits."

Hell, the only thing you can trust is pure water, and too much of that in a very short time will kill you.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
by a person or a study?

I recall that even Nathan Pritikin who donned his megaphone in praise of whole grains, fruits, and vegs, while condemning all forms of dietary fat, had problems with spinach. saying that it could cause arthritis and kidney stones. He even said that too much fresh fruit could elevate triglycerides.

Imagine having a myocardial infarct for pigging out on apples, pears, and table grapes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Many. I eat them every day. The bulk of my diet consists of leafy green vegetables, root vegetables, squash, sweet potatoes, grains, corn in season, (I have no gluten intolerance, but I still do not over indulge in them) fresh fruits, nuts, sweet potatoes, and legumes. I occasionally eat, wild caught fish. Dairy is a treat. So are baked goods.

They are condiments.

For example, last night I made a pasta salad which we had for dinner. The vegetables were the bulk of the pasta salad. Pasta was a little less than I/2 of the salad. I loaded it with broccoli, artichoke hearts, and other vegetables.

No one at my table goes hungry - or leaves sick.

I have recipes if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer but I have no medical problems that result from food consumption. Like you, pretty much vegetarian the past 40 years and an absolute pig when it comes to the fruit consumption aspect of vegetarianism.

Pritikin devotee for 20 years but not as strict the last 20 years.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:56 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,424,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Im not giving up chocolate no matter what any expert says! No! Never! Nada!

OMG, I felt the same way for many, many years. Then I had a stroke 12 years ago and my taste buds changed tremendously. Now I cant stand the taste of chocolate. I dont miss eating it but I do miss the way it made me feel.

Last edited by TFW46; 08-07-2018 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: to clarify

Old 08-07-2018, 07:03 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Depends on the person, the same food can impact different people in different ways.

Yeeesh, I get drowsy most of the time when I eat most fruit......that means, I avoid fruit most of the time.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Kale.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:03 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Could not agree with this more. Moderation in all things, don't smoke, exercise and watch your weight. The rest as far as I can tell depends on genetics.
Pretty much. And some luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness