Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times

Advertisements

''Blue light from digital devices and the sun transforms vital molecules in the eye's retina into cell killers, according to optical chemistry research at The University of Toledo.

The process outlined in the study, which was recently published in the journal Scientific Reports, leads to age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in the United States.''

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0808093907.htm

Something to keep in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 11:19 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
Interesting, and kind of scary.

We recently had some major work done on our air conditioning system. The tech who gave us the estimate noted that you could see the blue light, installed to help purify the air, shining through the grill. He said they would put a shield under it so the light could not be seen. We told him he didn't have to because it made a cool night light in the hallway, but he said it was bad for your eyes. He had an employee who did not heed that warning and stuck his head into an AC unit, looking directly at the light. He could not work for three days because he damaged his eyes so badly, just from that one strong exposure. Apparently it really does kill everything!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:46 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Florescent lighting which contains blue light does definitely affect vision. I know because I sit in an office all day long that has this lighting. Same concept and I don't think it's new but the OP's article does go deeper in explaining why.

Fluorescent Light Sensitivity: Causes, Symptoms & Solutions
Blue Light: It's Both Bad And Good For You

Old 08-09-2018, 12:23 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Florescent lighting which contains blue light does definitely affect vision. I know because I sit in an office all day long that has this lighting. Same concept and I don't think it's new but the OP's article does go deeper in explaining why.

Fluorescent Light Sensitivity: Causes, Symptoms & Solutions
Blue Light: It's Both Bad And Good For You
You can change the color of fluorescent lighting, which at least helps somewhat. I had one with a more blue tinge and ended up bringing in (floral themed) lighting from home because it was like I was sitting under a baseball stadium spotlight all day. It was unbearable. Of course when I was on video skype with my romantic floral themed office lighting with the deputy director wondering why on earth my office was so dimly lit with odd home lighting, I suddenly got lighting in a more acceptable (less blue) area of the light spectrum and could use the overhead lighting again.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:07 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I have special glasses that are supposed to filter out blue light for work. I can only wear them if I wear my contacts, which get really dry in my office, so I don't use them as much as I'd like. You can get prescription ones but they are more $$$.

I think the sunglasses I have are both for UV and Blue Light, too.

https://shopfelixgray.com/

Old 08-11-2018, 11:51 AM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
''Blue light from digital devices and the sun transforms vital molecules in the eye's retina into cell killers, according to optical chemistry research at The University of Toledo.

The process outlined in the study, which was recently published in the journal Scientific Reports, leads to age-related macular degeneration, a leading cause of blindness in the United States.''

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0808093907.htm

Something to keep in mind.

Thanks for ruining my life.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:09 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
My IPad has that night shift warm light filter.
Does that filter out the blue light?

Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I use Iris Mini on my laptop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness