Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,909,885 times

Advertisements

I may need to do either a joint replacement or a complete knee replacement on my left knee, due to damage I sustained from a riding accident. I'm thinking, based on what I've read so far:

• Buy a freezer, so lots of ice will be available
• Get into the best shape, physically, I can, including being both very slender and as strong as I can be
• I have my dad's canes I could use, but no walker
• Recovery could be anywhere from six weeks to several months, assuming no complications?
• I'm concerned about showering if I only have the use of one leg?
• The walk from the parking area behind the house to my front door is a flat surface, and I could lean on the house

Please share your experiences and book recommendations. I'm hoping I won't need this. I just turned 68.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 01:05 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,461,394 times
Achilles Surgery veteran - the showering - I wrapped the operated leg in a large plastic garbage bag, ran the bathtub water, sat in the tub and draped the leg over the edge, used a hand held shower and instead of hanging it up, let it hang down the whole time so it was available for my use. Not too bad for showering and washing hair - you just sit in the tub and shower away. You adapt quickly.

Canes/walker (I used a walker in the house) - I used a scooter to get around but not sure how that would work with a knee replacement. My insurance covered it. This doesn't sound workable for a knee replacement.

Get in shape - yes - big yes. I did lunges/squats to strengthen my good leg so it could do all the work and strengthen my other leg so it could recover more quickly (start with a strong base not a weak one)

You might do an internet search to find recovery stories from people (really helpful and when recovering I did just that) who have had the surgery or a forum for knee recovery patients who can give advice on these same questions.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Get prepared for what could be a long rehab...and I agree good to read some recovery stories. These replacements are NOT a walk in the park. I"m doing all I can to keep going with my damaged knee as the fear for surgery is just too much. I've read enough recovery groups and stories, people don't realize the magnitude of these replacement surgeries until they go thru them...I never did when I did the hip replacement...and I live with enough regrets.

Also, depending on your outcome, rehab at a facility may be needed. Hard to know until all is done. If you come home from surgery, so good to have someone to help you. Then you have to have in home PT.

But good luck to you whatever you decide.

A friend did one at 86 and she's 91 and hers turned out OK for her.

On the bathing, learn to do a lot of sponge baths and get a good supply of wipes. I've had to change so much in my life. Fear of falling is forever present.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-09-2018 at 02:36 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I may need to do either a joint replacement or a complete knee replacement on my left knee, due to damage I sustained from a riding accident. I'm thinking, based on what I've read so far:

• Buy a freezer, so lots of ice will be available
• Get into the best shape, physically, I can, including being both very slender and as strong as I can be
• I have my dad's canes I could use, but no walker
• Recovery could be anywhere from six weeks to several months, assuming no complications?
• I'm concerned about showering if I only have the use of one leg?
• The walk from the parking area behind the house to my front door is a flat surface, and I could lean on the house

Please share your experiences and book recommendations. I'm hoping I won't need this. I just turned 68.
A few comments that might help. I haven't replaced a knee, but have replaced a hip and have had knee injuries and feet/ankles in casts over the years.

After one ankle surgery my ortho provided me with an amazing "chiller" apparatus that worked so much better than the classic bag of ice or frozen veggies. It consisted of a velcro-fastened wrap with tubing running through the fabric. The tubing was attached to a small pump that circulated chilled water from a small picnic cooler. You dumped ice and water into the cooler, turned on the pump, and cold water circulated around the joint. It was fantastic! I kept mine and have used it for various injuries over the years. A lot less mess, the wrap kept itself right where it was needed without fussing with it, it was quite effective as the chill covered the whole joint, the ice lasted longer, very easy to do multiple chill downs many times every day. Worth every penny. It even got used for a totally non-medical reason; to transport some salamander larvae in a bag once.

A note about the canes, at least shortly after surgery when you are most vulnerable....they will be two "loose" things each having one contact with the ground. They can't hold themselves steady without your weight on them, and each will need constant attention while you are using them. They will move independently every time you shift your balance and if the angle isn't right they'll slip. They will find ways to slip and fall to the ground no matter where you prop them when not using them. It's like they have a mind of their own. Harder on wrists and hands. Crutches are slightly better, but still awkward and frustrating.

A walker has 4 contacts with the ground and distributes your weight better. It can hold itself up without constant attention from you. It will stay right where you park it. It doesn't rely as much on your balance at any moment. It can slide or scoot to move you forward, you don't have to pick it up off the ground with every step. You can hang onto it while using a hand to do something else (cook, etc). Sure, it takes up more room around the house than canes or crutches, but ironically you probably need a wider passageway around furniture while using canes or crutches than a walker. Get a cane or crutch foot caught against something (including the leg you are trying to protect...been there done that!) and down you can go. If a walker gets snagged on something you'll just stop moving. You can rent a walker or pick one up at a thrift shop.

Once you are more mobile and weight bearing a cane or crutch makes a lot more sense. I found I was actually fairly mobile within a couple of weeks, not the entire 6-8 weeks of "official" recovery. Toward the end of it I had to restrain myself from being too active in order to protect the implant. If they say non-weightbearing for 8 weeks believe them and follow orders. If you damage the new implant all that effort/cost/inconvenience/discomfort was wasted.

You can't carry anything while using any of these aids unless you have some sort of a satchel or shoulder bag. Get one. If you don't have a water bottle or thermos bottle with a cap, get one. Trying to carry cups, mugs, or dishes with crutches...they'll spill. I found I used microwave dishes with lids to tote food around without spilling. If you'll need to get anything off shelves (such as in the kitchen) you'll need something to grab them with. Either that or put things you are likely to need down on counters ahead of time. I found the silly grabber was never where I needed it, so made a velcro attachment for it on my crutches. It went everywhere with me that way.

You may want to consider putting the favorite chair or couch you'll spend the most time in up on blocks to make it easier to get up and down and spare bending your knee. Roll up or move any trip hazard rugs. Check the path from your parking area to your front door so you can clear it with crutches or the walker. What will it be like if it's raining?

Showering: do you have a tub? It will be pretty easy if you get a shower stool and if you have shower curtain instead of a door. If you don't have a tub install a hand shower in yours with a hose long enough so you can sit. I didn't get a fancy medical type stool, just measured the width of my tub and found a sturdy one at a second hand store, glued a bunch of Shoe Goo rubber on the feet for traction, and "sacrificed" it to getting wet. You can find the plastic types at second hand stores too. There are lots around! Assemble everything ahead of time and test it. Put your bad leg in a plastic leaf/garden bag with tape around the top of whatever cast or brace you have to wear. If the cast/brace is removable, do so. Nothing will keep it totally dry over multiple showers...it's going to get a little funky. Nice thing about hips...no wraps...you just have to protect the incision.

If it does look like a replacement, your ortho probably has a lot of handy information for how to prepare and manage things at home while you are non-weightbearing. Mine did, in fact you had to document that you read everything. They don't want you to hurt yourself or damage the new joint either! My practice held training classes for patients with scheduled surgeries that covered lots of tips, house preparations you may not think of, do's and don't's, staying safe while on your feet. It was very thorough. By the time surgery came up I felt pretty prepared.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-09-2018 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 PM

674 posts, read 608,964 times
Physical Therapist here. I work daily with folks who had joint replacements.

Of the hundreds (approx.) of patients I've treated, only one had complications. So the track record is pretty good for such operations, esp. if you have it done at a teaching hospital. You are correct, get in the best shape you can prior to surgery; I wish more people would pay attention to this "prehab" angle.

You will have some PT at the hospital before you are sent home. Pay attention to the techniques for getting out of bed and out of a chair. **Use your walker** until you feel stable enough to switch to a cane (it takes 2-3 weeks on average), and make the transition over a few days, i.e., don't go cold turkey from a walker to a cane. Ask the PTs at the hospital to check and adjust the height of the walker and cane for you, before you go home. I am surprised that this very important step gets skipped sometimes.

You should have some PT at home before you start outpatient PT, whether you are with Medicare or one of the Medicare Advantage plans.

Feel free to post specific questions if you have any.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
It really helps to have a supportive SO. My wife had total Knee replacement in 2016. She needed, and I was glad to provide the support to make her recovery as easy as possible. It's not easy. Having someone to do the everyday things that we take for granted, but become a real chore, or impossible, is critical to recovery.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2018, 07:11 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It really helps to have a supportive SO. My wife had total Knee replacement in 2016. She needed, and I was glad to provide the support to make her recovery as easy as possible. It's not easy. Having someone to do the everyday things that we take for granted, but become a real chore, or impossible, is critical to recovery.

Good luck!
I've heard the knee replacement recovery/rehab is tougher than a hip replacement.

My friend at 86 came home but she had a husband who insisted pretty much. I met many knee replacement folks when I was just in the rehabs for the staph infection. Some go for a week or two.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
My boss had knee replacement earlier this year. They had him in PT for weeks before the surgery to get him in condition and accustomed to doing the exercises he would need to do after. HE had PT for a few weeks after. He recovered fast. Faster than I did after far less involved surgery for a torn meniscus.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
If so advised, you can get a rollator for well under $100 on amazon, for example and that is worst case as I would expect insurance to pay for something that is necessary. Much more stable than canes so well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-...d=Q6JTC5GRIPCM

Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 PM

674 posts, read 608,964 times
Actually, a rollator can be risky for some folks as it rolls too easily. I would advise everyone to use a plain rolling walker first, when coming out of knee-replacement surgery.

OP - The hospital will certainly supply you with a rolling walker. If you need a cane, check out thrift shops: in my area, canes go for $5 or less, rolling walkers for $7-$8, and rollators for $10-$20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness